From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Saving Supervillains by Bruce Sentar
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:20:29 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 00:20 UTC

I have a certain fondness for superhero novels. On the other hand I
loathe harem sf for their self-indulgence. So I find myself briefly
sampling superhero harem novels on Kindle Unlimited, gagging after a few
pages and returning them to move on. Saving Supervillains is my latest
such experiment and the first time I've stopped and said "You know, this
isn't so bad."

I wish the protagonist didn't have to be the most powerful super in the
history of ever because honestly he's more interesting in his role
coordinating his developing harem while not using his powers but the
world-building is surprisingly good for this kind of thing. It helps
that the protagonist looks like less of a total creep when he's under
pressure from all around to marry multiple women because the magic that
made superheroes also makes male births unlikely due to chromosomal
nonsense so there's a massive gender imbalance.

In any case our protagonist being the most powerful ever ended up
killing a few hundred heroes when things got out of hand back in the day
and has been in hiding ever since. He gets lured back into things when
the city is about to be destroyed, but indirectly by tracking down a
"supervillain" who might be able to save the day if she can get her
power under control. This draws him into becoming the manager/boyfriend
for a growing number of superheroines most of whom will be reformed
supervillains, while committing the occasional murder of a criminal on
the side to conceal his "dark secret".

My standards are pretty low for this subgenre, but for once they have
been met. I'll even consider reading the second.