Great minds run in great circles.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

SubjectAuthor
* Asking for a fantasy recommendationThomas Koenig
+* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationStephen Harker
+- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDon
+- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationRobert Carnegie
+- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationBo Lindbergh
+- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationa425couple
+- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationLynn McGuire
+* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDefault User
|`* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationKevrob
| `- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDimensional Traveler
+* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDefault User
|`* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDimensional Traveler
| `* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationTony Nance
|  `- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationJaimie Vandenbergh
+* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationBCFD36
|+* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationJames Nicoll
||`* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationJaimie Vandenbergh
|| `* Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDorothy J Heydt
||  `- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationLynn McGuire
|`- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationScott Lurndal
`- Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendationDavid Johnston

1
Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t8l44u$1d9$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75552&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75552

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Asking for a fantasy recommendation
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:05:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:05 UTC

Hi,

I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
authors for audiobooks.

The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.

So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
really help much.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<jh6jidFcsspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75553&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75553

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation
Date: 18 Jun 2022 18:24:13 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:24 UTC

In article <t8l44u$1d9$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>,
Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>authors for audiobooks.
>
>The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
>So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
>really help much.

Both Lindsay Buroker & Debra Dunbar typically write light fantasy with
a good bit of humor. Buroker in particular has characters that tend towards
banter.

I can recommend Buroker's "Emperor's Edge" & "Dragon Blood" series, and
Dunbar's "Imp" series.

You could say Dunbar's Imp heroine, Sam, is a bit amoral but certainly not
fatally flawed.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<20220618a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75557&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75557

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:39:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:39 UTC

Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

https://archive.org/details/TheMonogramMurders-HerculePoirot
Read by Julian Rhind-Tutt

Rhind-Tutt's a talented voice actor. His elocution alone enables
listeners to discern characters.
FWIW, Josef Tratnik's also a brilliant voice actor. He makes it easy
to discern characters in his _Perry Rhodan_ audibooks.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<bf51cb27-d980-4769-8847-b9b7ecfaca62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75560&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75560

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 20:24 UTC

On Saturday, 18 June 2022 at 19:05:21 UTC+1, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

There's Ben Aaronovitch's _Rivers of London_ ...
depending on how interested you can get in London.
Multiracial London, specifically. Peter Grant, a young
and quite highly sexed Black police constable, stumbles
into the nearly defunct department of London police that
deals with magical misdeeds. I'd mention that the first
story has some vivid scenes of horrific death and other
violence, and two titles - _Rivers of London_ and
_Midnight Riot_. London has many rivers, some of which
have become part of the sewer system*, and in this
series, most of the rivers have powerful individual female
spirits... and often male spirits as well, and conflict arises
between Father Thames and Mother Thames... which is less
of a problem than all of them trying to lay mind control on
Peter.

There were rivers before there /was/ a sewer system...
broadly speaking... but I wouldn't discuss this in their
presence. And having said that, this series portrays
London basically coming into existence as a settlement
of the Ancient Roman Empire. They had sewers, I expect.
And the Victorians built splendid sewers: we get a tour in
book three. In the time between... I'm not well informed.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<87y1xso1vi.fsf@netspace.net.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75603&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75603

From: sjhar...@netspace.net.au (Stephen Harker)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 06:05:21 +1000
 by: Stephen Harker - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 20:05 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

> In article <t8l44u$1d9$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>,
> Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>>authors for audiobooks.
>>
>>The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>>and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>>Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>>other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>>Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>>
>>So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
>>really help much.
>
> Both Lindsay Buroker & Debra Dunbar typically write light fantasy with
> a good bit of humor. Buroker in particular has characters that tend towards
> banter.

Most of L Sprague de Camp's fantasy fits: _The Reluctant King_
(compendium of three earlier novels); _The Pixelated Peeress_; _; _The
Compleat Enchanter_ (compendium of the Harold Shea stories); and _The
Fallible Fiend_. There would be others in a similar vein.

--
Stephen Harker sjharker@netspace.net.au
was: http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t8qo38$4tq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75655&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75655

From: blg...@stacken.kth.se (Bo Lindbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:40:59 +0200
 by: Bo Lindbergh - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:40 UTC

The Penric and Desdemona series by Bujold.

/Bo Lindbergh

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<9ylsK.180150$JVi.45277@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75688&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75688

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:34:32 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:34 UTC

On 6/18/2022 11:05 AM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. ---
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

My first thought is "Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein.
A great story. (But admittedly some call it Sci-Fi,
not Fantasy.)

This seems to indicate it is available as an audio book.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=glory+road+robert+heinlein&adgrpid=1346902306860063&hvadid=84181465054138&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=111513&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-84181734371997%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=22566_10446801&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_7kynhnmhx1_e

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t92pm6$27f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75801&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75801

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:32:37 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:32 UTC

On 6/18/2022 1:05 PM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

"Among Others" by Jo Walton
https://www.amazon.com/Among-Others-Jo-Walton/dp/1469298074/

"Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1" by Kevin Hearne
https://www.amazon.com/Hounded-Kevin-Hearne-audiobook/dp/B004X41A26/

"Skinwalker: Jane Yellowrock, Book 1" by Faith Hunter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H2O98C/

"Monster Hunter International" by Larry Correia
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-International-Larry-Correia/dp/1491582731/

"The Girl at the End of the World" by Richard Levesque
https://www.amazon.com/Girl-at-End-World/dp/B00U6DX1TI/

"Discount Armageddon (InCryptid)" by Seanan McGuire
https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Armageddon-InCryptid-Seanan-McGuire/dp/1522685642/

I've got many more if needed.

Lynn

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t98cjb$3ld0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75895&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75895

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 01:26:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 01:26 UTC

Thomas Koenig wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>authors for audiobooks.
>
>The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.

I don't read much fantasy, but I did read and enjoy the Genevieve
Cogman series The Invisible Library. You or your friend can read more
about the books and see if they will be of interest:

http://www.grcogman.com/books/

Brian

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<f2570205-562e-4108-b4b3-90c47a8f94ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75917&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75917

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 18:08 UTC

On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 9:26:08 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> >authors for audiobooks.
> >
> >The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> >and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> >Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> >other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> >Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
> I don't read much fantasy, but I did read and enjoy the Genevieve
> Cogman series The Invisible Library. You or your friend can read more
> about the books and see if they will be of interest:
>
> http://www.grcogman.com/books/

There's humor in the late Rick Cook's series that starts with
"Wizard's Bane."

Bob Asprin's adventures of Skeee and Aahz
should qualify, if you have a high tolerance for puns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythAdventures

--
Kevin R
a.a #2310

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9aid5$1ddf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75921&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75921

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:17:27 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 21:17 UTC

On 6/26/2022 11:08 AM, Kevrob wrote:
> On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 9:26:08 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
>> Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>>> authors for audiobooks.
>>>
>>> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>>> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>>> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>>> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>>> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>> I don't read much fantasy, but I did read and enjoy the Genevieve
>> Cogman series The Invisible Library. You or your friend can read more
>> about the books and see if they will be of interest:
>>
>> http://www.grcogman.com/books/
>>

> There's humor in the late Rick Cook's series that starts with
> "Wizard's Bane."
>
> Bob Asprin's adventures of Skeee and Aahz
> should qualify, if you have a high tolerance for puns.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythAdventures

And if you don't have a high tolerance the titles alone will kill you.

dirty old man.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9aq9i$23i2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75926&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75926

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:32:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:32 UTC

Thomas Koenig wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>authors for audiobooks.
>
>The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.

If a fantasy detective series would be of interest, Glen Cook's
"Garrett PI" might be something to investigate (no pun).

https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-P.I.-14-book-series/dp/B078N9238R

Brian

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9arqh$291p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75927&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75927

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:58:12 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:58 UTC

On 6/26/2022 4:32 PM, Default User wrote:
> Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>> authors for audiobooks.
>>
>> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> If a fantasy detective series would be of interest, Glen Cook's
> "Garrett PI" might be something to investigate (no pun).
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-P.I.-14-book-series/dp/B078N9238R

I will second that recommendation.

dirty old man.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<1938c668-9436-4a38-a0d6-8dac7380df9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75928&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75928

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:17 UTC

On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 7:58:13 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/26/2022 4:32 PM, Default User wrote:
> > Thomas Koenig wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> >> authors for audiobooks.
> >>
> >> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> >> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> >> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> >> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> >> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
> >
> > If a fantasy detective series would be of interest, Glen Cook's
> > "Garrett PI" might be something to investigate (no pun).
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-P.I.-14-book-series/dp/B078N9238R
> >

> I will second that recommendation.

And I will add that those who like the Garrett PI series may also
like Ari Marmell's Mick Oberon series (4 books) and Terry Newman's
Detective Strongoak series (3 books).

Tony

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9i78a$1hqr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76032&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76032

From: bcf...@cruzio.com (BCFD36)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:56:10 -0700
 by: BCFD36 - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 18:56 UTC

On 6/18/22 11:05, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

Late to the game here. I will agree with the "Garrett, PI" series. Maybe
the Black Company books would be too dark but maybe not.

Odd Thomas maybe? I am not sure if that is fantasy or what exactly that is.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9i7ui$muc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76033&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76033

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:08:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:08 UTC

In article <t9i78a$1hqr$1@gioia.aioe.org>, BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com> wrote:
>On 6/18/22 11:05, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>> authors for audiobooks.
>>
>> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>>
>> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
>> really help much.
>
>Late to the game here. I will agree with the "Garrett, PI" series. Maybe
>the Black Company books would be too dark but maybe not.
>
>Odd Thomas maybe? I am not sure if that is fantasy or what exactly that is.

Some Kingfisher might fit the bill. Defensive Baking, for example.

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<NR1vK.371328$J0r9.63812@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76035&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76035

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:37:17 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:37 UTC

BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com> writes:
>On 6/18/22 11:05, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>> authors for audiobooks.
>>
>> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>>
>> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
>> really help much.
>
>Late to the game here. I will agree with the "Garrett, PI" series. Maybe
>the Black Company books would be too dark but maybe not.
>
>Odd Thomas maybe? I am not sure if that is fantasy or what exactly that is.

Drake Maijstral?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Maijstral

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<ji6ip8FifhuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76090&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76090

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Jun 2022 21:27:04 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 21:27 UTC

On 27 Jun 2022 at 01:17:07 BST, "Tony Nance" <tonynance17@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 7:58:13 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> If a fantasy detective series would be of interest, Glen Cook's
>>> "Garrett PI" might be something to investigate (no pun).
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-P.I.-14-book-series/dp/B078N9238R
>>>

>> I will second that recommendation.
>>

> And I will add that those who like the Garrett PI series may also
> like Ari Marmell's Mick Oberon series (4 books) and Terry Newman's
> Detective Strongoak series (3 books).
>
> Tony

Aha - I was going to second the Mick Oberon books and third the Garrett
PIs, so now I must clearly look up the Strongoak series. Excellent!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
....there should be a feature added to the RAID 0 standard
stating that if anyone selects RAID 0 as an option, they

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<ji6rvbFjpadU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76095&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76095

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 1 Jul 2022 00:03:55 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 00:03 UTC

On 29 Jun 2022 at 20:08:03 BST, "James Nicoll" <James Nicoll> wrote:

> In article <t9i78a$1hqr$1@gioia.aioe.org>, BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com> wrote:
>> On 6/18/22 11:05, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
>>> authors for audiobooks.
>>>
>>> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
>>> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
>>> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
>>> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
>>> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>>>
>>> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
>>> really help much.
>>
>> Late to the game here. I will agree with the "Garrett, PI" series. Maybe
>> the Black Company books would be too dark but maybe not.
>>
>> Odd Thomas maybe? I am not sure if that is fantasy or what exactly that is.
>
> Some Kingfisher might fit the bill. Defensive Baking, for example.

Indeed - most T Kingfisher, and probably much published under her real
name Ursula Vernon too, bar the horror and perhaps the kids books,
although they're great too. I consider her as close to Pratchett as now
exists.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? `I protect the
lives and property of my citizens; you keep the public

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<rEBG1y.DFH@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76096&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76096

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 00:29:58 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 00:29 UTC

In article <ji6rvbFjpadU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>On 29 Jun 2022 at 20:08:03 BST, "James Nicoll" <James Nicoll> wrote:

>>> Late to the game here. I will agree with the "Garrett, PI" series. Maybe
>>> the Black Company books would be too dark but maybe not.
>>>
>>> Odd Thomas maybe? I am not sure if that is fantasy or what exactly that is.
>>
>> Some Kingfisher might fit the bill. Defensive Baking, for example.
>
>Indeed - most T Kingfisher, and probably much published under her real
>name Ursula Vernon too, bar the horror and perhaps the kids books,
>although they're great too. I consider her as close to Pratchett as now
>exists.

(Hal Heydt)
I'm going to do something that would horrify Dorothy if she were
still here...

Go to her web site. You can download her works. Some of them
qualify as fantasy. "The Witch of Syracuse", "Stories You
Never Heard Of", and "The Golden Road" are, I think, fantasy.
One could argue whether or not "The Interior Life" is. "A Point
of Honor" is not, at least in my opinion (I tend to refer to it as
"cyber, but not punk").

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<t9ltek$1j3b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76097&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76097

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 23:33:23 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 04:33 UTC

On 6/30/2022 7:29 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <ji6rvbFjpadU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Some Kingfisher might fit the bill. Defensive Baking, for example.
>>
>> Indeed - most T Kingfisher, and probably much published under her real
>> name Ursula Vernon too, bar the horror and perhaps the kids books,
>> although they're great too. I consider her as close to Pratchett as now
>> exists.
>
> (Hal Heydt)
> I'm going to do something that would horrify Dorothy if she were
> still here...
>
> Go to her web site. You can download her works. Some of them
> qualify as fantasy. "The Witch of Syracuse", "Stories You
> Never Heard Of", and "The Golden Road" are, I think, fantasy.
> One could argue whether or not "The Interior Life" is. "A Point
> of Honor" is not, at least in my opinion (I tend to refer to it as
> "cyber, but not punk").

You can download all of Dorothy's books in various formats and short
stories in HTML at:
https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Lynn

Re: Asking for a fantasy recommendation

<tapu5c$1b1r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76751&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76751

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:26:20 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 20:26 UTC

On 2022-06-18 12:05 p.m., Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this for somebody else for a recommendtion of
> authors for audiobooks.
>
> The person I am asking for enjoys fantasy with a bit of humor
> and, ideally, heros without fatal character flaws. Examples are
> Pratchett or the Dresden Files, or the Ring of Solomon (the
> other Bartimaeus novels are a bit too dark). Outside of SF,
> Agatha Chritie's Poirot novels are also something that person likes.
>
> So recommendtations? I'm not much of a Fantasy reader, so I cannot
> really help much.

The Emperor's Edge series by Lindsay Buroker.