From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 18:42:14 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 23:42 UTC

"Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Man-Monster-Perry-Rhodan-36/dp/B0006W25C8/

Book number thirty-six of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space
opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
German stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the
sixth book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time,
having sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted again. I
read the well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1973 that
I had to be very careful with due to age. I bought an almost complete
box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that I am finally
getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The Great Flood of
1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #103, plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 44 of the German Pamphlets. There is
a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Mensch_und_das_Monster

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over ten years since then and the New Power has
flourished with millions of people and many spaceships headquartered in
the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.

Perry Rhodan and his 5,000 foot spherical spaceship with the Ganymede
travel back to Arkon to see if the great positronic regent of the empire
can help with the 700 infected crewmen. It cannot, but it sends Perry
Rhodan and his space ships to the planet of the Moofs, Mooff VI. Perry
Rhodan arrives and tells the 200 ship force destroying the planet to
leave, courtesy of the positronic regent. Then Perry and his crew set
about investigating the planet to find a cure for the 700 infected in
his crew.

One has to remember that this book was written in German in 1962 and
translated to English in 1973. Many items that came about in the 1970s
and beyond such as cell phones are not reflected in the book. However,
commercial aircraft commonly traveling at Mach 3 are not available to
the public as talked about in the book. Niels Bohr's saying "Prediction
is very difficult, especially about the future" comes to mind.

Two observations:
1. The publisher should have put two to four of the translated stories
in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked out
well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would never
allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220723a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77184&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77184

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 17:25:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 17:25 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

<snip>

> Perry Rhodan and his 5,000 foot spherical spaceship with the Ganymede
> travel back to Arkon to see if the great positronic regent of the empire
> can help with the 700 infected crewmen. It cannot, but it sends Perry
> Rhodan and his space ships to the planet of the Moofs, Mooff VI. Perry
> Rhodan arrives and tells the 200 ship force destroying the planet to
> leave, courtesy of the positronic regent. Then Perry and his crew set
> about investigating the planet to find a cure for the 700 infected in
> his crew.

A new character, rhobot psychologist Dr Orson Certch, helps Rhodan
outwit Arkon's rhobot regent. "As genuine as a politician's promise."
is my favorite Certch witticism.
This time, the Ace Morrow cover makes more sense to me:

https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/ace.png

The cthulhu character in the rear probably depicts Mooff guardian
Trorth. Three installments ago, the identity of "the Unknown Masters"
remained enigmatic to me. Now, upon further reflection, they are clearly
the Aras.
Aralon's the Aras' home planet. It's similar to _Firefly_'s planet
Ariel, location of the galaxy's best hospitals.
Rhodan plans to take his 700 to Aralon to seek a cure. They suffer
from a virulent variant of St Vitus' Dance.
Thus far, the Third Power must outwit a tacit triumviral tyranny
composed of the Arkons, Springers, and Aras. The first rules by prestige
enforced by a ruthless robot regent. The second boisterously controls
all galactic trade. While the third quietly enforces its hidden edicts
with epidemics. All three strive to subjugate the Third Power.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tbhk50$bug$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77186&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77186

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated
by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:02:40 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 20:02 UTC

On 7/23/2022 12:25 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Perry Rhodan and his 5,000 foot spherical spaceship with the Ganymede
>> travel back to Arkon to see if the great positronic regent of the empire
>> can help with the 700 infected crewmen. It cannot, but it sends Perry
>> Rhodan and his space ships to the planet of the Moofs, Mooff VI. Perry
>> Rhodan arrives and tells the 200 ship force destroying the planet to
>> leave, courtesy of the positronic regent. Then Perry and his crew set
>> about investigating the planet to find a cure for the 700 infected in
>> his crew.
>
> A new character, rhobot psychologist Dr Orson Certch, helps Rhodan
> outwit Arkon's rhobot regent. "As genuine as a politician's promise."
> is my favorite Certch witticism.
> This time, the Ace Morrow cover makes more sense to me:
>
> https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/ace.png
>
> The cthulhu character in the rear probably depicts Mooff guardian
> Trorth. Three installments ago, the identity of "the Unknown Masters"
> remained enigmatic to me. Now, upon further reflection, they are clearly
> the Aras.
> Aralon's the Aras' home planet. It's similar to _Firefly_'s planet
> Ariel, location of the galaxy's best hospitals.
> Rhodan plans to take his 700 to Aralon to seek a cure. They suffer
> from a virulent variant of St Vitus' Dance.
> Thus far, the Third Power must outwit a tacit triumviral tyranny
> composed of the Arkons, Springers, and Aras. The first rules by prestige
> enforced by a ruthless robot regent. The second boisterously controls
> all galactic trade. While the third quietly enforces its hidden edicts
> with epidemics. All three strive to subjugate the Third Power.
>
> Danke,

The cthulhu character in the rear on the cover is a brainless
teleporting construct made by the Aras. The juvenile Moofs in league
with the Aras control them to get through the force fields protecting
the space ships.

Lynn

Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220723c@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77191&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77191

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:33:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:33 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Perry Rhodan and his 5,000 foot spherical spaceship with the Ganymede
>>> travel back to Arkon to see if the great positronic regent of the empire
>>> can help with the 700 infected crewmen. It cannot, but it sends Perry
>>> Rhodan and his space ships to the planet of the Moofs, Mooff VI. Perry
>>> Rhodan arrives and tells the 200 ship force destroying the planet to
>>> leave, courtesy of the positronic regent. Then Perry and his crew set
>>> about investigating the planet to find a cure for the 700 infected in
>>> his crew.
>>
>> A new character, rhobot psychologist Dr Orson Certch, helps Rhodan
>> outwit Arkon's rhobot regent. "As genuine as a politician's promise."
>> is my favorite Certch witticism.
>> This time, the Ace Morrow cover makes more sense to me:
>>
>> https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/ace.png
>>
>> The cthulhu character in the rear probably depicts Mooff guardian
>> Trorth. Three installments ago, the identity of "the Unknown Masters"
>> remained enigmatic to me. Now, upon further reflection, they are clearly
>> the Aras.
>> Aralon's the Aras' home planet. It's similar to _Firefly_'s planet
>> Ariel, location of the galaxy's best hospitals.
>> Rhodan plans to take his 700 to Aralon to seek a cure. They suffer
>> from a virulent variant of St Vitus' Dance.
>> Thus far, the Third Power must outwit a tacit triumviral tyranny
>> composed of the Arkons, Springers, and Aras. The first rules by prestige
>> enforced by a ruthless robot regent. The second boisterously controls
>> all galactic trade. While the third quietly enforces its hidden edicts
>> with epidemics. All three strive to subjugate the Third Power.
>
> The cthulhu character in the rear on the cover is a brainless
> teleporting construct made by the Aras. The juvenile Moofs in league
> with the Aras control them to get through the force fields protecting
> the space ships.

Morrow depicts one of the Opera Singers? Here's its textual description:

The strange creature, flattened out like a cookie tin, suddenly
swelled itself into a globular shape, out of which two thin,
extremely elastic tentacles extended.

The Moewig cover conforms to the description:

https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/moewig.png

It's plausible for Morrow employ poetic license to stretch the rubbery
monster into a Lovecraftian horror. Good catch, Lynn.

Something momentous happened with the prior Ace installment. And was
only noticed now, in retrospect. Ace's art advanced to incorporate the
Moewig artwork within. "Man and Monster" is the second such story to
include interior illustrations.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "Man and Monster (Perry Rhodan #36)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<1ad959b2-126c-415b-b751-4467bb0a2de0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77195&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
by Wendayne Ackerman
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:38 UTC

On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 22:33:12 UTC+1, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > Don wrote:
> >> Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> A new character, rhobot psychologist Dr Orson Certch, helps Rhodan
> >> outwit Arkon's rhobot regent. "As genuine as a politician's promise."
> >> is my favorite Certch witticism.
> >> This time, the Ace Morrow cover makes more sense to me:
> >>
> >> https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/ace.png
> >>
> >> The cthulhu character in the rear probably depicts Mooff guardian
> >> Trorth. Three installments ago, the identity of "the Unknown Masters"
> >> remained enigmatic to me. Now, upon further reflection, they are clearly
> >> the Aras.
> >> Aralon's the Aras' home planet. It's similar to _Firefly_'s planet
> >> Ariel, location of the galaxy's best hospitals.
> >> Rhodan plans to take his 700 to Aralon to seek a cure. They suffer
> >> from a virulent variant of St Vitus' Dance.
> >> Thus far, the Third Power must outwit a tacit triumviral tyranny
> >> composed of the Arkons, Springers, and Aras. The first rules by prestige
> >> enforced by a ruthless robot regent. The second boisterously controls
> >> all galactic trade. While the third quietly enforces its hidden edicts
> >> with epidemics. All three strive to subjugate the Third Power.
> >
> > The cthulhu character in the rear on the cover is a brainless
> > teleporting construct made by the Aras. The juvenile Moofs in league
> > with the Aras control them to get through the force fields protecting
> > the space ships.
> Morrow depicts one of the Opera Singers? Here's its textual description:
>
> The strange creature, flattened out like a cookie tin, suddenly
> swelled itself into a globular shape, out of which two thin,
> extremely elastic tentacles extended.
>
> The Moewig cover conforms to the description:
>
> https://crcomp.net/arts/pr0043/moewig.png
>
> It's plausible for Morrow employ poetic license to stretch the rubbery
> monster into a Lovecraftian horror. Good catch, Lynn.
>
> Something momentous happened with the prior Ace installment. And was
> only noticed now, in retrospect. Ace's art advanced to incorporate the
> Moewig artwork within. "Man and Monster" is the second such story to
> include interior illustrations.
> Danke,

I'm arguing weakly, but 1973 appears to be when
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-Thing>
from Marvel Comics was shown to be associated
with a "Nexus of All Realities" which allows, amongst
other tricks, general teleportation. At least, it does now.

So... could be him?