From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Signal Moon By Kate Quinn
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 12:47:18 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 18:47 UTC

1943 British Petty Officer hears a radio message from a 2025 American
ship about to be destroyed and hilarity ensues.

My reactions: They would have executed her as a spy if they'd caught
her talking to him. Her plan for how to open communication with him
makes no sense. She could have just left him a letter telling him
everything she knew and left the rest to him. Not only would it be more
likely to work, she wouldn't be hung as a spy for being caught using a
radio transmitter. On the other hand the connection between the
destruction of his ship and them even being able to communicate makes
excellent sense.

Re: Signal Moon By Kate Quinn

<1f10e615-340e-4b09-9922-e4262c7c8083n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77529&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77529

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Signal Moon By Kate Quinn
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 22:18 UTC

On Thursday, 4 August 2022 at 19:47:24 UTC+1, David Johnston wrote:
> 1943 British Petty Officer hears a radio message from a 2025 American
> ship about to be destroyed and hilarity ensues.
>
> My reactions: They would have executed her as a spy if they'd caught
> her talking to him. Her plan for how to open communication with him
> makes no sense. She could have just left him a letter telling him
> everything she knew and left the rest to him. Not only would it be more
> likely to work, she wouldn't be hung as a spy for being caught using a
> radio transmitter. On the other hand the connection between the
> destruction of his ship and them even being able to communicate makes
> excellent sense.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61045711-signal-moon
References say 2023, I suppose we'll find out... and
I imagine that WRNS officers on secret radio war work
weren't allowed to send letters willy nilly, either.
A censor would read first.

So apparently it's about Bletchley Park... but if you
weren't at Bletchley Park, then you didn't know about
Bletchley Park?

Re: Signal Moon By Kate Quinn

<tcmqj2$lub$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77574&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77574

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 16:39:29 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 22:39 UTC

On 2022-08-04 4:18 p.m., Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 August 2022 at 19:47:24 UTC+1, David Johnston wrote:
>> 1943 British Petty Officer hears a radio message from a 2025 American
>> ship about to be destroyed and hilarity ensues.
>>
>> My reactions: They would have executed her as a spy if they'd caught
>> her talking to him. Her plan for how to open communication with him
>> makes no sense. She could have just left him a letter telling him
>> everything she knew and left the rest to him. Not only would it be more
>> likely to work, she wouldn't be hung as a spy for being caught using a
>> radio transmitter. On the other hand the connection between the
>> destruction of his ship and them even being able to communicate makes
>> excellent sense.
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61045711-signal-moon
>
> References say 2023, I suppose we'll find out... and
> I imagine that WRNS officers on secret radio war work
> weren't allowed to send letters willy nilly, either.
> A censor would read first.

Depositing a letter to be delivered 80 years later is hardly
willy-nilly. She actually sends him a whole package containing much
more dangerous contents than just a letter containing incomprehensible
science fiction about a ship being attacked by vampires in 2023.

> So apparently it's about Bletchley Park... but if you
> weren't at Bletchley Park, then you didn't know about
> Bletchley Park?

I suspect the Y station ladies were actually trained at Bletchley Park
but forbidden to talk about it.