6 May, 2024: Currently experiencing networking issues at backend news servers. No resolution at this time.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

SubjectAuthor
* "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated byLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by WendayDon
|+- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Michael F. Stemper
| +- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| +- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
| `- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Titus G
`* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Christian Weisgerber
 +* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Robert Carnegie
 |`* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Christian Weisgerber
 | +- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
 | `- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Michael F. Stemper
 +- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by WendayDon
 +- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 +* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
 |+- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 |`* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Christian Weisgerber
 | `* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
 |  `* Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Christian Weisgerber
 |   `- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire
 `- Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,Lynn McGuire

1
"Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tca3ib$186ol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77436&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77436

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 21:52:57 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:52 UTC

"Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Times-Lonely-One-Perry-Rhodan/dp/3441660250/

Book number forty-two of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space
opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
German stories per book translated by Wendayne Ackerman and transitioned
to one story per book with the sixth book. And then they transition
back to two stories in book #109/110. The German books were written
from 1961 to present time, having sold two billion copies and even
recently been rebooted again. I read the well printed and well bound
book published by Ace in 1974 that I had to be very careful with due to
age. I bought an almost complete box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two
ago on ebay that I am finally getting to since I lost my original Perry
Rhodans in The Great Flood of 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book
#103, plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 50 of the German Pamphlets. There is
a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over sixty-nine years since then and the New Power has
flourished with tens of millions of people and many spaceships
headquartered in the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.

It has been around fifty-five years since the Springers and the Mounders
destroyed the Betelgeuse 3 planet, thinking that it was Sol 3, Terra.
Perry Rhodan and the inhabitants of Terra have been building a new
empire quietly in the far corner of the Milky Way. And a man is
awakened in his bathysphere deep under water by his four robots, having
gone to sleep sixty-nine years ago thinking that nuclear war was going
to poison the surface of the Earth. Instead, Atlan the Arkonide finds
out that Perry Rhodan stopped the nuclear missiles from working and has
built an incredible society since that time.

One has to remember that this book was written in German in 1962 and
translated to English in 1974. Many items that came about in the 1970s
and beyond such as cell phones are not reflected in the book. However,
commercial aircraft commonly traveling at Mach 3 are not available to
the public as talked about in the book. Niels Bohr's saying "Prediction
is very difficult, especially about the future" comes to mind.

Two observations:
1. The publisher should have put two to four of the translated stories
in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked out
well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would never
allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars (1 review)

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220801d@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77440&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77440

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:26:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:26 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

<snip>

> It has been around fifty-five years since the Springers and the Mounders
> destroyed the Betelgeuse 3 planet, thinking that it was Sol 3, Terra.
> Perry Rhodan and the inhabitants of Terra have been building a new
> empire quietly in the far corner of the Milky Way. And a man is
> awakened in his bathysphere deep under water by his four robots, having
> gone to sleep sixty-nine years ago thinking that nuclear war was going
> to poison the surface of the Earth. Instead, Atlan the Arkonide finds
> out that Perry Rhodan stopped the nuclear missiles from working and has
> built an incredible society since that time.

These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely one:"

I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
I wanted to laugh
I felt embarrassed
I could see clearly again, I realized
I watched
I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly

First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
time PR uses it.

Lynn, you must possess a mathematical mind in order to take the time to
compute fifty-five years since "The Earth Dies." Good job!

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<jkrr34Fai9gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77441&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77441

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 2 Aug 2022 05:30:12 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:30 UTC

In article <20220801d@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> It has been around fifty-five years since the Springers and the Mounders
>> destroyed the Betelgeuse 3 planet, thinking that it was Sol 3, Terra.
>> Perry Rhodan and the inhabitants of Terra have been building a new
>> empire quietly in the far corner of the Milky Way. And a man is
>> awakened in his bathysphere deep under water by his four robots, having
>> gone to sleep sixty-nine years ago thinking that nuclear war was going
>> to poison the surface of the Earth. Instead, Atlan the Arkonide finds
>> out that Perry Rhodan stopped the nuclear missiles from working and has
>> built an incredible society since that time.
>
>These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
>literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely one:"
>
> I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
> I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
> I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
> I wanted to laugh
> I felt embarrassed
> I could see clearly again, I realized
> I watched
> I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
> I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>
>First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
>time PR uses it.
>
>Lynn, you must possess a mathematical mind in order to take the time to
>compute fifty-five years since "The Earth Dies." Good job!
>
>Danke,

First person is the best person!

(But tense must stay past).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcaern$fr2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77442&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77442

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer,
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 01:05:41 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 06:05 UTC

On 8/2/2022 12:26 AM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> It has been around fifty-five years since the Springers and the Mounders
>> destroyed the Betelgeuse 3 planet, thinking that it was Sol 3, Terra.
>> Perry Rhodan and the inhabitants of Terra have been building a new
>> empire quietly in the far corner of the Milky Way. And a man is
>> awakened in his bathysphere deep under water by his four robots, having
>> gone to sleep sixty-nine years ago thinking that nuclear war was going
>> to poison the surface of the Earth. Instead, Atlan the Arkonide finds
>> out that Perry Rhodan stopped the nuclear missiles from working and has
>> built an incredible society since that time.
>
> These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
> literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely one:"
>
> I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
> I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
> I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
> I wanted to laugh
> I felt embarrassed
> I could see clearly again, I realized
> I watched
> I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
> I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>
> First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
> time PR uses it.
>
> Lynn, you must possess a mathematical mind in order to take the time to
> compute fifty-five years since "The Earth Dies." Good job!
>
> Danke,

I loved this story about Atlan and gave it five stars. The first PR I
gave five stars to since PR #1. I am really looking forward to PR #45.

Thanks ! I am a mechanical engineer, graduated from TAMU back in May of
1982 at the tender age of 21. I write and sell process simulation
software for chemical and mechanical engineers. All written in 1.3
million lines of Fortran and C++. I had better be good at math, I live
and die by it.

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<slrnteiu9f.29vp.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77453&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77453

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:21:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:21 UTC

On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
> Wendayne Ackerman
> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit

So, this is a big thing.

Atlan.

After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
perks of immortality.

These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
do both.

Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
"Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
rather elusive.

Atlan had his own eponymous spin-off series, which ran from 1969
to 1988 for 850 installments, same pulp format as _Perry Rhodan_.
That's the second largest German SF series ever, right there. Which,
btw, did not keep Atlan the character from being a regular in _PR_.
The periodic time jumps leave enough gaps to fit in large independent
stories.

Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
keeps pinging his conscious self?

> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<38c4fa4d-f2d6-44d1-972c-aeafd693cc73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77454&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77454

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT)
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:57 UTC

On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 20:30:10 UTC+1, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
> > Wendayne Ackerman
> > https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit
>
> So, this is a big thing.
>
> Atlan.
>
> After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
> local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
> meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
> become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
> around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
> perks of immortality.
>
> These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
> but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
> of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
> do both.
>
> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
> rather elusive.

I suppose it may mean that by him being immortal,
a lot of his non-immortal friends are dead?

> Atlan had his own eponymous spin-off series, which ran from 1969
> to 1988 for 850 installments, same pulp format as _Perry Rhodan_.
> That's the second largest German SF series ever, right there. Which,
> btw, did not keep Atlan the character from being a regular in _PR_.
> The periodic time jumps leave enough gaps to fit in large independent
> stories.
>
> Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
> his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
> keeps pinging his conscious self?
> > My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
> age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
> yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220802b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77455&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77455

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:11:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:11 UTC

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

<snip>

> Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
> his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
> keeps pinging his conscious self?
>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>
> I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
> age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
> yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.

A quick peek indicates Wendy consistently translates "Extrasinn(es)"
into "extra-sense."
Sometimes Wendy also translates "Extrahirn(s)" into "extra-sense" and at
other times "Extrahirn(s)" becomes "extra-brain."

On second thought, after the plot moves the setting to Hellgate, the
yarn does indeed rip for me too. Even if the first part of the story
nearly bores the Hellgate out of me. :)

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<slrntej30n.2ccs.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77456&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77456

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:41:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:41 UTC

On 2022-08-02, Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
>> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
>> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
>> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
>> rather elusive.
>
> I suppose it may mean that by him being immortal,
> a lot of his non-immortal friends are dead?

You can be a lot more literal: Atlan was marooned on Terra ten
millennia ago and has been waiting to go back to his race ever
since, watching the native barbarians and hoping they'd develop
interstellar travel eventually, so he'd be able to hitch a ride
home.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcc57s$1o6vs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77457&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77457

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:33:39 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:33 UTC

On 02/08/2022 00.26, Don wrote:

> These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
> literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely one:"
>
> I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
> I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
> I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
> I wanted to laugh
> I felt embarrassed
> I could see clearly again, I realized
> I watched
> I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
> I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>
> First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
> time PR uses it.

First-person seems pretty unremarkable to me. Have you ever encountered
second person, present tense narrative, such as Stross uses in his
future-Scotland novels? Something like:

"You call up the stairs, but nobody answers."

--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 82:3-4

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<jkts1rFkjl5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77460&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77460

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: 2 Aug 2022 23:58:51 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:58 UTC

In article <slrnteiu9f.29vp.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
>> Wendayne Ackerman
>> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit
>
>So, this is a big thing.
>
>Atlan.
>
>After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
>local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
>meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
>become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
>around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
>perks of immortality.
>
>These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
>but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
>of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
>do both.

Meh. I was always underwhelmed by Atlan, at least in English. I
remember him as indecisive and he had that Van Vogt extra brain thing
going on that didn't seem to help very much.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<jktsa4Fkjl5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77461&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77461

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: 3 Aug 2022 00:03:16 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:03 UTC

In article <tcc57s$1o6vs$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 02/08/2022 00.26, Don wrote:
>
>> These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
>> literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely one:"
>>
>> I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
>> I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
>> I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
>> I wanted to laugh
>> I felt embarrassed
>> I could see clearly again, I realized
>> I watched
>> I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
>> I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>>
>> First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
>> time PR uses it.
>
>First-person seems pretty unremarkable to me. Have you ever encountered
>second person, present tense narrative, such as Stross uses in his
>future-Scotland novels? Something like:
>
>"You call up the stairs, but nobody answers."

For me about the only times 2nd person worked were with "The Button &
What You Know" and one of the Aldiss stories in _Galaxies Like Grains Of
Sand_
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcckg1$rp0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77464&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77464

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:54:08 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 01:54 UTC

On 8/2/2022 2:21 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
>> Wendayne Ackerman
>> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit
>
> So, this is a big thing.
>
> Atlan.
>
> After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
> local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
> meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
> become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
> around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
> perks of immortality.
>
> These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
> but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
> of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
> do both.
>
> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
> rather elusive.
>
> Atlan had his own eponymous spin-off series, which ran from 1969
> to 1988 for 850 installments, same pulp format as _Perry Rhodan_.
> That's the second largest German SF series ever, right there. Which,
> btw, did not keep Atlan the character from being a regular in _PR_.
> The periodic time jumps leave enough gaps to fit in large independent
> stories.
>
> Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
> his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
> keeps pinging his conscious self?
>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>
> I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
> age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
> yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.

Of the four authors that I have encountered so far in PR, Scheer is the
best. Followed closely by Darlton.

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcckh3$rp0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77465&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77465

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:54:42 -0500

On 8/2/2022 3:41 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
>>> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
>>> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
>>> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
>>> rather elusive.
>>
>> I suppose it may mean that by him being immortal,
>> a lot of his non-immortal friends are dead?
>
> You can be a lot more literal: Atlan was marooned on Terra ten
> millennia ago and has been waiting to go back to his race ever
> since, watching the native barbarians and hoping they'd develop
> interstellar travel eventually, so he'd be able to hitch a ride
> home.

Spoiler !

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcckln$rp0$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77466&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77466

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:57:09 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 01:57 UTC

On 8/2/2022 2:21 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
>> Wendayne Ackerman
>> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit
>
> So, this is a big thing.
>
> Atlan.
>
> After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
> local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
> meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
> become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
> around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
> perks of immortality.
>
> These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
> but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
> of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
> do both.
>
> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
> rather elusive.
>
> Atlan had his own eponymous spin-off series, which ran from 1969
> to 1988 for 850 installments, same pulp format as _Perry Rhodan_.
> That's the second largest German SF series ever, right there. Which,
> btw, did not keep Atlan the character from being a regular in _PR_.
> The periodic time jumps leave enough gaps to fit in large independent
> stories.
>
> Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
> his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
> keeps pinging his conscious self?
>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>
> I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
> age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
> yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.

You know, I read several of these books back in the early 1970s when
they came out but I do not remember them in the slightest. There was a
guy putting them on the rotating bookstand at our grocery store and I
could talk Mom into one or two unless we were broke.

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<jku3prFlmn8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77468&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77468

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: 3 Aug 2022 02:11:07 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:11 UTC

In article <tcckg1$rp0$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 8/2/2022 2:21 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> On 2022-08-02, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by
>>> Wendayne Ackerman
>>> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Der_Einsame_der_Zeit
>>
>> So, this is a big thing.
>>
>> Atlan.
>>
>> After cutting through the established powers on Earth and in the
>> local part of the galaxy like a hot knife through butter, Rhodan
>> meets his match on a personal level. Atlan is his equal. And will
>> become the series' second most important character. Atlan has been
>> around for a long time, seen it all, but isn't, well, old. The
>> perks of immortality.
>>
>> These are superheroes. They don't have superhuman physical powers,
>> but they are supremely, impossibly competent. These are the sort
>> of people who can lead a commando raid--or run an empire. And will
>> do both.
>>
>> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
>> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
>> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
>> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
>> rather elusive.
>>
>> Atlan had his own eponymous spin-off series, which ran from 1969
>> to 1988 for 850 installments, same pulp format as _Perry Rhodan_.
>> That's the second largest German SF series ever, right there. Which,
>> btw, did not keep Atlan the character from being a regular in _PR_.
>> The periodic time jumps leave enough gaps to fit in large independent
>> stories.
>>
>> Question: What's the English translation for Atlan's "Extrasinn",
>> his brain sector that produces strictly logical evaluations and
>> keeps pinging his conscious self?
>>
>>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>>
>> I think I found it initially confusing when I read it, at a young
>> age, because it was so different from any previous installment, but
>> yes, it's a good one. Scheer could write a ripping yarn.
>
>Of the four authors that I have encountered so far in PR, Scheer is the
>best. Followed closely by Darlton.
>
>Lynn

I was always wary of anything by Voltz. He wrote all the weird stories
like the elephant aliens and the planet where people got fat by breathing.
I was a bit appaled to hear he eventually became the show runner.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tccs03$20da9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77469&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77469

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:02:11 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 04:02 UTC

On 8/2/2022 4:33 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 02/08/2022 00.26, Don wrote:
>
>> These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
>> literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely
>> one:"
>>
>>      I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
>>      I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
>>      I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
>>      I wanted to laugh
>>      I felt embarrassed
>>      I could see clearly again, I realized
>>      I watched
>>      I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
>>      I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>> First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is the first
>> time PR uses it.
>
> First-person seems pretty unremarkable to me. Have you ever encountered
> second person, present tense narrative, such as Stross uses in his
> future-Scotland novels? Something like:
>
> "You call up the stairs, but nobody answers."

Yes, it was disconcerting and distracting from a good book. The author
ended up rewriting the book in first person.

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<slrntel0jg.304s.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77476&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77476

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:13:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:13 UTC

On 2022-08-03, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of the four authors that I have encountered so far in PR, Scheer is the
> best. Followed closely by Darlton.

Five. #1 to #50 were written by

K. H. Scheer
Clark Darlton
Kurt Mahr
W. W. Shols
Kurt Brand

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcebnd$2c9vv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77484&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77484

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:36:43 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 17:36 UTC

On 8/3/2022 9:13 AM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-03, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Of the four authors that I have encountered so far in PR, Scheer is the
>> best. Followed closely by Darlton.
>
> Five. #1 to #50 were written by
>
> K. H. Scheer
> Clark Darlton
> Kurt Mahr
> W. W. Shols
> Kurt Brand

Is that #1 to #50 of the German or #1 to #50 of the English ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<slrntelq5q.60c.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77495&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77495

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:29:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:29 UTC

On 2022-08-03, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Five. #1 to #50 were written by
>>
>> K. H. Scheer
>> Clark Darlton
>> Kurt Mahr
>> W. W. Shols
>> Kurt Brand
>
> Is that #1 to #50 of the German or #1 to #50 of the English ?

German issues.
The one in the subject is #50.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcev07$2hch8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77497&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77497

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 11:05:39 +1200
 by: Titus G - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:05 UTC

On 3/08/22 09:33, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 02/08/2022 00.26, Don wrote:
>
>> These excerpts from Ace Page 10 (page 2 of the story) illustrate my
>> literal problem with the first story about Atlan, AKA "time's lonely
>> one:"
>>
>>      I listened to the sound of little bells ringing in my brain.
>>      I heard myself answer although I didn’t speak.
>>      I certainly deserved a rest; I’d earned it!
>>      I wanted to laugh
>>      I felt embarrassed
>>      I could see clearly again, I realized
>>      I watched
>>      I was familiar, I was in their midst-and yet I lay there.
>>      I turned my aching head. "I beg your pardon!" I stammered awkwardly
>>      First-person narrative grates on me. If memory serves, this is
>> the first
>> time PR uses it.
>
> First-person seems pretty unremarkable to me. Have you ever encountered
> second person, present tense narrative, such as Stross uses in his
> future-Scotland novels? Something like:
>
> "You call up the stairs, but nobody answers."

"You are walking in the woods.
There's no one around and your phone is dead."

I enjoyed this brilliant 3 minute mini opera supposedly about
cannibalism. "Shia LaBeouf" Live - Rob Cantor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcfinv$10gb$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77501&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77501

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:42:38 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 04:42 UTC

On 8/3/2022 4:29 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-03, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Five. #1 to #50 were written by
>>>
>>> K. H. Scheer
>>> Clark Darlton
>>> Kurt Mahr
>>> W. W. Shols
>>> Kurt Brand
>>
>> Is that #1 to #50 of the German or #1 to #50 of the English ?
>
> German issues.
> The one in the subject is #50.

Thanks. Yup, I documented that in the original posting.

Lynn

Re: "Time's Lonely One (Perry Rhodan #42)" by K. H. Scheer, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tcj6hs$35q5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=77543&group=rec.arts.sf.written#77543

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 08:38:58 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 13:38 UTC

On 02/08/2022 15.41, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>> Much like "Der Erbe des Universums" (Heir to the Universe, bizarrely
>>> changed into Peacelord of the Universe in the English translation),
>>> "Der Einsame der Zeit" (Time's Lonely One, no translation issue
>>> there) is an epithet that sounds evocative, but whose meaning is
>>> rather elusive.
>>
>> I suppose it may mean that by him being immortal,
>> a lot of his non-immortal friends are dead?
>
> You can be a lot more literal: Atlan was marooned on Terra ten
> millennia ago and has been waiting to go back to his race ever
> since, watching the native barbarians and hoping they'd develop
> interstellar travel eventually, so he'd be able to hitch a ride
> home.

Sounds similar to Asimov's "Does a Bee Care?", although in that
story, the alien unknowingly inspires the development of space
travel.

<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?46102>

--
Michael F. Stemper