From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 15:15:15 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 21:15 UTC

Basically the series was over with book 6 when she saved Manhattan from
obliteration. So with Book 7 the titular coroner (who is no longer a
coroner) has to face a new menace, only without the special power of
visions of future and past that have been holding her hand all through
her previous investigation. This is a problem for the magical detective
because even though she's still a magical powerhouse even without the
visions, she doesn't actually know any magic that's useful for
detectiving instead of causing massive collateral damage.

And, despite her forensic training she's otnay ootay ightbray. I
repeatedly found myself saying "Come ooooon! Obvious perpetrator is
obvious!" at various points in the series. Say what you will about
Harry Dresden, he never had a problem realizing that obvious perpetrator
is obvious.

In any case she finds herself juggling several cases:

1. A mage has unenthusiastically set an apartment building full of
werewolves on fire. His half-assed arson has provoked the werewolves
toward hostility versus the mages.

2. A new player is taking over New York's loan sharking industry with
one of the biggest sharks disappearing after taking up with a mysterious
woman with a Slavic accent. The new outfit has a habit of draining all
the blood from clients who default and stealing organs for black market
transplantation. The police detective immediately speculates "vampires"
but is refuted by the ironclad argument that the blood was drained by
some kind of tool rather than by vampire fangs.

3. Someone just stole an illegal book about blood magic.

4. A vampire just attacked her and told her she's interfering in their
business.

In a completely unrelated note, in her last book she started a feud with
a drug syndicate that called itself "The Night Crew" which was led by a
reclusive boss called "The Night Lord". They have been mentioned to her
as a possible candidate for the mysterious new player in the
loansharking industry.

Meanwhile she's going to ask the Mafia if they're the ones killing loan
shark clients and selling their organs. <sigh> Look, dude, I realize
you've got to make word count, but obvious perpetrator is... Now I kind
of like the action sequences and the world building, but please let your
detective rent a clue.

Re: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)

<905b7e7d-a9e3-48b6-bb69-8a1611d66033n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78195&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 08:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:18 UTC

There's a Doctor Who alien that drinks your blood,
but they use a straw.

Re: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)

<teg6oa$ltpi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78201&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78201

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 09:56:43 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:56 UTC

On 8/28/2022 8:18 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> There's a Doctor Who alien that drinks your blood,
> but they use a straw.

In the movie 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' the title characters use
straws as well.

dirty old man.

Re: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)

<tegifi$122k$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78214&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78214

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 20:16:50 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 20:16 UTC

In article <905b7e7d-a9e3-48b6-bb69-8a1611d66033n@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>There's a Doctor Who alien that drinks your blood,
>but they use a straw.

With a next to unpronoucable word?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
Quebec oubliez les extremes et votez PLQ Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: A Taste of Death (Conjuring a Coroner Book 7)

<tejck7$f6d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78251&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78251

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:55:17 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:55 UTC

On 2022-08-28 9:18 a.m., Robert Carnegie wrote:
> There's a Doctor Who alien that drinks your blood,
> but they use a straw.

Uh-unh. In this case the vampire was using a cannula and just bagging
the blood for later.