Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches. -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Changing my mind on ROTB

SubjectAuthor
* Changing my mind on ROTBCodigo Postal
`* Re: Changing my mind on ROTBZobovor
 `- Re: Changing my mind on ROTBCodigo Postal

1
Changing my mind on ROTB

<339b1751-521d-4748-b1ba-729f9aa08714n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7848&group=alt.toys.transformers#7848

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Changing my mind on ROTB
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 25 May 2023 00:57 UTC

1) This morning, Paramount put out a Spotify playlist, cleverly entitled 'Rise of the Beats', that included a selection of 90s hiphop, some of the best themes from the Bay films, as well as....THE Unicron Theme by Vince DiCola. (They've since updated their list to remove the Transformers-specific themes as well as the traditional Peruvian themes, for whatever reason).

If ROTB gives us a live-action Unicron, coupled with his iconic theme from TFTM, all is forgiven, and I'll see the movie ten times in cinemas.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/transformers-rise-of-the-beasts-soundtrack-exclusive-hip-hop/

2) I've been a very vocal critic of Ron Perlman's selection over Garry Chalk for Primal. I don't care enough about world events, current affairs, or politics to have any strong opinions, but I absolutely draw the line at tampering with childhood pop culture nostalgia. And yet, hearing Primal's iconic "Maximals, Maximize!" in this new promo, even if it's in the "wrong" voice, is enough for me to give Perlman a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxVSpUUF-0

In conclusion: go see ROTB on June 9th! Who knows how many more big-screen outings our 81-year old intergalactic treasure, Peter Cullen, has in him - let's show the man some love!

Re: Changing my mind on ROTB

<f84d2e3b-15cf-4c0a-940c-70634bd28cd8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7852&group=alt.toys.transformers#7852

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 18:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Changing my mind on ROTB
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 29 May 2023 01:12 UTC

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 6:57:03 PM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
> If ROTB gives us a live-action Unicron, coupled with his iconic theme from TFTM, all is forgiven, and I'll see the movie ten times in cinemas.

The cynic in me feels like that would have been leaked by now, if it was going to be a thing.

I am an old codger and I generally hate seeing films in theaters. They're too loud, and the screen is too big for my eyes to take in what's going on. I really do prefer watching shows in the comfort of my own living room. I can pause it if I need to pee or get a snack, I can rewind it and watch my favorite parts again (or go back and listen to the part I couldn't hear because the cats were barking), and I don't feel compelled to spend fifty bucks on soda and candy bars for the entire family.

I'll Redbox it or something, eventually. Maybe. I think that, at this point, it's possible there might be one Transformers film I haven't actually seen yet. Or maybe it's Star Wars. I don't know. I just don't feel the need for a constant stream of media being stuffed down my throat.

> In conclusion: go see ROTB on June 9th! Who knows how many more big-screen outings our 81-year old intergalactic treasure, Peter Cullen, has in him - let's show the man some love!

I worry that in this day and age, deep fake voices will completely take over. There's no real reason to make an actor work when they can just sample his voice and produce a reasonably convincing AI version. You should see what they are posting on TikTok these days. Freddy Mercury singing Beatles hits that he never recorded, but it sounds exactly like him. Michael Jackson at age 10, singing the hits that made adult Michael Jackson famous. It blows me away how perfect they sound. There are videos of Trump and Obama and Biden all playing Mario Kart together. It never happened, of course, but it sure sounds like it did from the voices alone. It's scary what's possible nowadays.

I know James Earl Jones has already signed away the digital rights to his voice, so Darth Vader as a character will continue to exist, in perpetuity, even after the man shuffles off this mortal coil. Which is good, I think, because all the sound-alikes they've used for the video games don't sound at all like Darth Vader to my ears. I think this is going to become more and more common as we march into the digital age.

Zob (is secretly an AI)

Re: Changing my mind on ROTB

<fe538a83-608c-4bf6-a6c5-da274fb66064n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7858&group=alt.toys.transformers#7858

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 21:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 30 May 2023 04:11 UTC

On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 9:12:48 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 6:57:03 PM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
> > If ROTB gives us a live-action Unicron, coupled with his iconic theme from TFTM, all is forgiven, and I'll see the movie ten times in cinemas.
> The cynic in me feels like that would have been leaked by now, if it was going to be a thing.
>
> I am an old codger and I generally hate seeing films in theaters. They're too loud, and the screen is too big for my eyes to take in what's going on.. I really do prefer watching shows in the comfort of my own living room. I can pause it if I need to pee or get a snack, I can rewind it and watch my favorite parts again (or go back and listen to the part I couldn't hear because the cats were barking), and I don't feel compelled to spend fifty bucks on soda and candy bars for the entire family.
>
> I'll Redbox it or something, eventually. Maybe. I think that, at this point, it's possible there might be one Transformers film I haven't actually seen yet. Or maybe it's Star Wars. I don't know. I just don't feel the need for a constant stream of media being stuffed down my throat.
> > In conclusion: go see ROTB on June 9th! Who knows how many more big-screen outings our 81-year old intergalactic treasure, Peter Cullen, has in him - let's show the man some love!
> I worry that in this day and age, deep fake voices will completely take over. There's no real reason to make an actor work when they can just sample his voice and produce a reasonably convincing AI version. You should see what they are posting on TikTok these days. Freddy Mercury singing Beatles hits that he never recorded, but it sounds exactly like him. Michael Jackson at age 10, singing the hits that made adult Michael Jackson famous. It blows me away how perfect they sound. There are videos of Trump and Obama and Biden all playing Mario Kart together. It never happened, of course, but it sure sounds like it did from the voices alone. It's scary what's possible nowadays.

AI, with the help of human prompting and guidance, can create scripts, video, and sound. With a little guidance, we could have another season of G1, perfectly primed to both hit our nostalgia veins and yet be updated for the modern era. Primus knows it couldn't be worse than the Machinima and Netflix series. Give me artificial intelligence over natural stupidity any day.

> I know James Earl Jones has already signed away the digital rights to his voice, so Darth Vader as a character will continue to exist, in perpetuity, even after the man shuffles off this mortal coil. Which is good, I think, because all the sound-alikes they've used for the video games don't sound at all like Darth Vader to my ears. I think this is going to become more and more common as we march into the digital age.

We're going to be hearing Peter Cullen forever, is what you're telling me. I suppose that's better than bad sound-alikes.

> Zob (is secretly an AI)

Weren't you dating a Replika? How did that go?