arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

SubjectAuthor
* from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Lynn McGuire
`* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:BCFD36
 +* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Jay E. Morris
 |`- Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Lynn McGuire
 `* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Robert Carnegie
  `* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Titus G
   `* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Quadibloc
    `* Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:pete...@gmail.com
     `- Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:Jack Bohn

1
from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<tfdkqg$qcqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78641&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78641

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 15:54:39 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 20:54 UTC

From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):

"Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.

How about we catch up?

The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars aren’t
needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything ever
invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)

I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.

Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi once
a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain makes lunch.

Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and Lovecraft,
dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early evaluation, a
long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and maybe a little
surveillance of my foes.

Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and she
looks impatient."

Lynn

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<tfdm3i$mb3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78642&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78642

From: bcf...@cruzio.com (BCFD36)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 14:16:34 -0700
 by: BCFD36 - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:16 UTC

On 9/8/22 13:54, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):
>
> "Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
> greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.
>
> How about we catch up?
>
> The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars aren’t
> needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything ever
> invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)
>
> I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.
>
> Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi once
> a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain makes lunch.
>
> Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and Lovecraft,
> dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early evaluation, a
> long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and maybe a little
> surveillance of my foes.
>
> Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and she
> looks impatient."
>
> Lynn

That was truly inspired. Especially the last line, although she never
struck me as the "impatient" type.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<tfe713$uj0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78668&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78668

From: morr...@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:05:22 -0500
 by: Jay E. Morris - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:05 UTC

On 9/8/2022 4:16 PM, BCFD36 wrote:
> On 9/8/22 13:54, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>  From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):
>>
>> "Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
>> greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.
>>
>> How about we catch up?
>>
>> The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars
>> aren’t needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything
>> ever invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)
>>
>> I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.
>>
>> Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi
>> once a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain
>> makes lunch.
>>
>> Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and
>> Lovecraft, dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early
>> evaluation, a long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and maybe
>> a little surveillance of my foes.
>>
>> Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and
>> she looks impatient."
>>
>> Lynn
>>
> That was truly inspired. Especially the last line, although she never
> struck me as the "impatient" type.

Well, it has been over a year since she last saw Phillip.

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<tfe72r$ug62$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78670&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78670

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:06:18 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:06 UTC

On 9/8/2022 9:05 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> On 9/8/2022 4:16 PM, BCFD36 wrote:
>> On 9/8/22 13:54, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>  From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):
>>>
>>> "Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
>>> greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.
>>>
>>> How about we catch up?
>>>
>>> The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars
>>> aren’t needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything
>>> ever invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)
>>>
>>> I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.
>>>
>>> Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi
>>> once a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain
>>> makes lunch.
>>>
>>> Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and
>>> Lovecraft, dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early
>>> evaluation, a long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and
>>> maybe a little surveillance of my foes.
>>>
>>> Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and
>>> she looks impatient."
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>>
>> That was truly inspired. Especially the last line, although she never
>> struck me as the "impatient" type.
>>

> Well, it has been over a year since she last saw Phillip.

+1

Lynn

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<08f3c098-2f0f-48ef-b425-fa04d02243e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78702&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78702

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 09:51 UTC

On Thursday, 8 September 2022 at 22:16:44 UTC+1, BCFD36 wrote:
> On 9/8/22 13:54, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):
> >
> > "Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
> > greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.
> >
> > How about we catch up?
> >
> > The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars aren’t
> > needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything ever
> > invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)
> >
> > I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.
> >
> > Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi once
> > a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain makes lunch.
> >
> > Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and Lovecraft,
> > dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early evaluation, a
> > long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and maybe a little
> > surveillance of my foes.
> >
> > Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and she
> > looks impatient."
> >
> > Lynn
> >
> That was truly inspired. Especially the last line, although she never
> struck me as the "impatient" type.

The article is inconsiderate. And very misspelled.

Is that authentic? Or did the site get hacked?

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<tfgd7h$150uj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78750&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78750

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:35:08 +1200
 by: Titus G - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:35 UTC

On 9/09/22 21:51, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 September 2022 at 22:16:44 UTC+1, BCFD36 wrote:
>> On 9/8/22 13:54, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> From the Chaos Manor Facebook page (run by the family):
>>>
>>> "Well the rumors of my demise 5 years ago today are like my legacy:
>>> greatly exaggerated, vaguely sinister and riddled with anomalies.
>>>
>>> How about we catch up?
>>>
>>> The internet over here isn’t bad, I remain a little bored as wars aren’t
>>> needed and science fiction is nearly a moot point. (Everything ever
>>> invented or discovered washes up here centuries early)
>>>
>>> I miss conflict a little is all. But we make do.
>>>
>>> Mr Heinlein and I play pickle ball against Pohl Andersen and Ghandi once
>>> a week. Harlan Ellison is the referee. Usually Anthony Bordain makes lunch.
>>>
>>> Then it’s off to our little book club with L Ron Hubbard and Lovecraft,
>>> dinner at LaSere, a little HeavenFlix & chill for early evaluation, a
>>> long crank call to Microsoft customer service, and maybe a little
>>> surveillance of my foes.
>>>
>>> Ooo wait, gotta go, some new mucky-muck is arriving at the gates and she
>>> looks impatient."
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>>
>> That was truly inspired. Especially the last line, although she never
>> struck me as the "impatient" type.
>
> The article is inconsiderate. And very misspelled.
>
> Is that authentic? Or did the site get hacked?

Even though a subject of mucky-muck, I found it humourous despite the
disappointment of the possibility of clouds with Windows and not
understanding the reason for impatience. Would St. Peter take long to
consider the entrance qualifications of the nominal head of a crumbled
murderous empire?

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<7fbafc86-5251-4683-9ef2-6cc94b3692f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78799&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78799

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 05:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 12:08 UTC

On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 4:03:33 PM UTC-6, Titus G wrote:
> Would St. Peter take long to
> consider the entrance qualifications of the nominal head of a crumbled
> murderous empire?

God is not a respecter of persons, but the questions would deal with her
own actions during her life, not the distant past history of the British
Empire. Churchill might have some things to answer for in Bengal, but I
can't think of any misdeeds of that nature on the part of Her late Majesty
Elizabeth the Second.

John Savard

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<1b296949-76ba-4f77-be48-abbb63c0b557n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78832&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78832

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 12:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 19:09 UTC

On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 8:08:15 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 4:03:33 PM UTC-6, Titus G wrote:
> > Would St. Peter take long to
> > consider the entrance qualifications of the nominal head of a crumbled
> > murderous empire?
> God is not a respecter of persons, but the questions would deal with her
> own actions during her life, not the distant past history of the British
> Empire. Churchill might have some things to answer for in Bengal, but I
> can't think of any misdeeds of that nature on the part of Her late Majesty
> Elizabeth the Second.

I've seen a lot of people laying the faults of the British Government and late
Empire on her.

But she had very little agency in the public sphere, even from the start being a
figurehead, doing what she was required to do.

She never went to a nightclub or on a pub crawl, explored a new town on foot,
browsed a used bookstore, or went to the movies alone, or (I think) read a dirty book.
Anywhere she went, she was the center of attention, followed by paparazzi and 'royal
correspondents'. Only in her palaces did she have even a hint of privacy.

Hers was a very constrained and abnormal life. Even given her wealth, I'm not sure
I'd trade places with her (or with Charles III, same problem).

With that, about the only thing St. Peter has to work with were her relationships
with her family members, which weren't always good.

pt

Re: from Jerry Pournelle's Facebook page:

<25217594-5e5d-4d67-bdfa-c869b699e6b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78853&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78853

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 00:56 UTC

pete...@gmail.com wrote:
[On Queen Elizabeth II]

> She never went to a nightclub or on a pub crawl, explored a new town on foot,
> browsed a used bookstore, or went to the movies alone, or (I think) read a dirty book.
> Anywhere she went, she was the center of attention, followed by paparazzi and 'royal
> correspondents'. Only in her palaces did she have even a hint of privacy.
>
> Hers was a very constrained and abnormal life. Even given her wealth, I'm not sure
> I'd trade places with her (or with Charles III, same problem).
>
> With that, about the only thing St. Peter has to work with were her relationships
> with her family members, which weren't always good.

Hmm... an odd type of monastic life? A few more benefits than most.

--
-Jack