From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Eversions. Alastair Reynolds.
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:37:16 +1200
 by: Titus G - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 05:37 UTC

Eversions. Alastair Reynolds.

Prior to beginning this, I read the four non SF books of Lawrence
Durell's Alexandrian Quartet which were quite a way above my literary
ability to comprehend even with phone internet access. I thoroughly
enjoyed them at a lesser level but it was still slow reading and I doubt
whether I would ever understand Pursewarden's philosophy(s) without
assistance.

In contrast, Reynolds is writing events and characters. I loved his
Revelation Space series despite being disappointed with Inhibitor Phase.

Eversions first chapter reminded me of Simmonds' "The Terror" with a
similar situation, a ship, (powered by sail), threatened by closing ice
in the far north, a ship on a mission, this time hired for a quest.
I really can't say much without taking away some of the potential
reader's enjoyment. Of course there is conflict and deception and
surprises. It has the Sisyphus and perhaps Dark Tower of his Diamond
Dogs but not the Knight Roland. The characters and their interactions
are brilliant. It was Chapter 6 or 7 when I stopped just enjoying and
had trouble putting it down and am now most of the way through. Even if
the ending is rubbish I will still have had a most enjoyable read.
Will report when finished.