From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [Third Ace Specials] The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:02:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:02 UTC

The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/dark-of-night

A strife-torn world is astounded to receive a signal from
deepest space and alarmed to discover that whoever sent it
failed to consider the destructive purposes to which the
information provided could be put.

Re: [Third Ace Specials] The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt

<tfqu44$v58$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79030&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79030

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 16:53:07 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:53 UTC

On 9/13/2022 8:02 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/dark-of-night
>
> A strife-torn world is astounded to receive a signal from
> deepest space and alarmed to discover that whoever sent it
> failed to consider the destructive purposes to which the
> information provided could be put.

Whoa dude, you found a McDevitt book that I missed !

I have about 14 or 15 McDevitt books stashed away in the garage. I have
two in my SBR.

Lynn

Re: [Third Ace Specials] The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt

<819f3348-d176-4d14-8b91-16a061c6bd35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79037&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79037

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:50:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:50 UTC

The most laughable thing about the book is that it assumes that it
is possible to erase an optical disk - even a writeable one - with a
strong magnet.

And I did not like the fact that the book did not have a happy ending,
where the people of Earth would benefit from abundant clean energy
_as well as_ enjoying world peace, with the Soviet Union and the
People's Republic of China at least disarmed, and preferably
regime-changed. Of course, though, _that_ kind of story wouldn't have
made the kind of point the author was interested in.

Of course we want to avoid a nuclear World War III. But a story about
having to make sacrifices to avoid one isn't the kind of pleasant
escapism I look for in entertainment. I like reading science-fiction
about The Future, in which the Communists - and the successor neo-fascist
Russian regime of Vladimir Putin - will be remembered much the same way
as we now remember the Nazis,

No Ensign Chekhov in my version of The Future!

Also, unlike Star Trek, in The Future, medical science will have made *progress*.
If people still die of old age, it will be after their third millenium or so.

John Savard