From: jpolo...@sympatico.ca (Joel Polowin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: YASID: Soldier gently murdering a young girl
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:51:56 -0400
 by: Joel Polowin - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:51 UTC

I'm trying to remember a fantasy novel in which a soldier is part of a
force tasked with killing every inhabitant of a settlement. He finds a
young girl, who knows what he's about and is terrified. She knows that
there's no escape. Trembling, she asks him what she's supposed to do.

He gently tells her something like, "Just hold up your hair, and face
away from me. I'm going to hit you on the back of your head with the
pommel of my sword. You'll hardly feel it; it'll be just like going to
sleep."

And she does what he told her, and there's a scene change. We don't
see the moment of the murder, but it's clearly implied, and there's no
reason to think that events didn't play out as the soldier had stated.
It was a chilling bit of writing.

Can anyone please ID this for me? Thanks.

Joel

www.avg.com

Re: YASID: Soldier gently murdering a young girl

<tg01fe$3dq0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79124&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79124

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: YASID: Soldier gently murdering a young girl
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:21:02 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:21 UTC

On 9/15/2022 12:51 PM, Joel Polowin wrote:
> I'm trying to remember a fantasy novel in which a soldier is part of a
> force tasked with killing every inhabitant of a settlement.  He finds a
> young girl, who knows what he's about and is terrified.  She knows that
> there's no escape.  Trembling, she asks him what she's supposed to do.
>
> He gently tells her something like, "Just hold up your hair, and face
> away from me.  I'm going to hit you on the back of your head with the
> pommel of my sword.  You'll hardly feel it; it'll be just like going to
> sleep."
>
> And she does what he told her, and there's a scene change.  We don't
> see the moment of the murder, but it's clearly implied, and there's no
> reason to think that events didn't play out as the soldier had stated.
> It was a chilling bit of writing.
>
> Can anyone please ID this for me?  Thanks.
>
> Joel

I hate snuff scenes in book.

Lynn