arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

SubjectAuthor
* Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Moriarty
`* Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Paul S Person
 `* Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.pete...@gmail.com
  +- Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Dorothy J Heydt
  +* Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Magewolf
  |+* Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
  ||`- Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Paul Colquhoun
  |`- Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Paul S Person
  `- Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.Paul S Person

1
Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<7062d435-28ae-4c38-a2e4-7d3265518972n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79098&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79098

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:02:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.
From: blue...@ivillage.com (Moriarty)
 by: Moriarty - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 04:02 UTC

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:24:14 AM UTC+11, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> In the "What could go wrong?" department:
>
> http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/
>
> "We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature,
> is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of
>
> the Rings," said Tolkien Estate and Trust representative Matt Galsor.
>
> "Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines
> preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring."
>
> Let the screaming begin....

*Bump*

So I've seen the first three episodes and it's... not good. It's filmed beautifully and looks absolutely stunning.

But the acting and scripting, oh my, are pretty dire. I think they've actually cast some good actors, just given them very little to work with. Finrod's opening spiel about the ship and the stone was particularly cringeworthy:

"Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone sees only downward. The darkness of the water is vast and irresistible. The ship feels the darkness, as well, striving moment by moment to master her and pull her under. But the ship has a secret. For, unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up. Fixed upon the light that guides her, whispering of grander things than darkness ever knew."
- Finrod, demonstrating his understanding of buoyancy.

-Moriarty

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<thk6ih56jlm6bas1746bgfhe3736p89jb2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79116&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79116

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:27:38 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:27 UTC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:02:48 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
<blues95@ivillage.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:24:14 AM UTC+11, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>> In the "What could go wrong?" department:
>>
>> http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/
>>
>> "We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature,
>> is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of
>>
>> the Rings," said Tolkien Estate and Trust representative Matt Galsor.
>>
>> "Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines
>> preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring."
>>
>> Let the screaming begin....
>
>*Bump*
>
>So I've seen the first three episodes and it's... not good. It's filmed beautifully and looks absolutely stunning.
>
>But the acting and scripting, oh my, are pretty dire. I think they've actually cast some good actors, just given them very little to work with. Finrod's opening spiel about the ship and the stone was particularly cringeworthy:
>
>"Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone sees only downward. The darkness of the water is vast and irresistible. The ship feels the darkness, as well, striving moment by moment to master her and pull her under. But the ship has a secret. For, unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up. Fixed upon the light that guides her, whispering of grander things than darkness ever knew."
>- Finrod, demonstrating his understanding of buoyancy.

It's been a while since I read the relevant material, but that doesn't
sound at /all/ familiar, whether by Finrod or anyone else. In JRRT, of
course; I don't doubt your report on the series.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<b26ee1c0-f970-4596-9cbd-723f47850c9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79117&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79117

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:32 UTC

On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 12:27:45 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:02:48 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
> <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:24:14 AM UTC+11, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> In the "What could go wrong?" department:
> >>
> >> http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/
> >>
> >> "We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature,
> >> is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of
> >>
> >> the Rings," said Tolkien Estate and Trust representative Matt Galsor.
> >>
> >> "Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines
> >> preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring."
> >>
> >> Let the screaming begin....
> >
> >*Bump*
> >
> >So I've seen the first three episodes and it's... not good. It's filmed beautifully and looks absolutely stunning.
> >
> >But the acting and scripting, oh my, are pretty dire. I think they've actually cast some good actors, just given them very little to work with. Finrod's opening spiel about the ship and the stone was particularly cringeworthy:
> >
> >"Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone sees only downward. The darkness of the water is vast and irresistible. The ship feels the darkness, as well, striving moment by moment to master her and pull her under. But the ship has a secret. For, unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up. Fixed upon the light that guides her, whispering of grander things than darkness ever knew."
> >- Finrod, demonstrating his understanding of buoyancy.
> It's been a while since I read the relevant material, but that doesn't
> sound at /all/ familiar, whether by Finrod or anyone else. In JRRT, of
> course; I don't doubt your report on the series.

I watched the first 3 as well. [I've never read the Silmarillion, and this
17 minutes YT summary ("The Similarillion in 3 minutes: Extended edition")
convinced me never to try.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP9bVbDRrc

Reviewers who *are* familiar with the books tell me that they are following
one of the plot arcs fairly faithfully, though the timescale is greatly
compressed so the human characters don't die of old age between episodes.

Its beautiful, but I can't find the sensawunda I had for the PJ films. Its not at the
'eight deadly words' point, but without the visuals it probably would be.

Whatever, this is a Jeff Bezos vanity project: He's already spent 250M on the
rights, and about 450M on the first season. It shows on the screen; the production
values are far higher than the Game of Thrones spinoff also playing, and is I think the
most expensive TV series in history. Its already greenlighted for 5 seasons..

pt

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<rI9JDB.1F5F@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79122&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79122

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:00:47 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:00 UTC

In article <b26ee1c0-f970-4596-9cbd-723f47850c9bn@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>Its not at the
>'eight deadly words' point, but without the visuals it probably would be.

(Hal Heydt)
:-) World fame never dies.

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<tg010f$3dn2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79123&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79123

From: Magew...@nc.rr.com (Magewolf)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:13:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Magewolf - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:13 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:32:39 -0700, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 12:27:45 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:02:48 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
>> <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:

multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

>> >*Bump*
>> >
>> >So I've seen the first three episodes and it's... not good. It's
>> >filmed beautifully and looks absolutely stunning.
>> >
>> >But the acting and scripting, oh my, are pretty dire. I think they've
>> >actually cast some good actors, just given them very little to work
>> >with. Finrod's opening spiel about the ship and the stone was
>> >particularly cringeworthy:
>> >
>> >"Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone
>> >sees only downward. The darkness of the water is vast and
>> >irresistible. The ship feels the darkness, as well, striving moment by
>> >moment to master her and pull her under. But the ship has a secret.
>> >For, unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up. Fixed upon the
>> >light that guides her, whispering of grander things than darkness ever
>> >knew."
>> >- Finrod, demonstrating his understanding of buoyancy.
>> It's been a while since I read the relevant material, but that doesn't
>> sound at /all/ familiar, whether by Finrod or anyone else. In JRRT, of
>> course; I don't doubt your report on the series.
>
> I watched the first 3 as well. [I've never read the Silmarillion, and
> this 17 minutes YT summary ("The Similarillion in 3 minutes: Extended
> edition")
> convinced me never to try.]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP9bVbDRrc
>
> Reviewers who *are* familiar with the books tell me that they are
> following one of the plot arcs fairly faithfully, though the timescale
> is greatly compressed so the human characters don't die of old age
> between episodes.

> pt

I have read the Silmarillion and most of the story fragments books. So I
would like to know what plot arc they are following fairly faithfully
because I am drawing a blank. As far as I can tell, if you changed all
the names you would not even had to pay for the license because no jury
in the world would be able to find infringement.

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<XnsAF1395D0E6BCDtaustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79127&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79127

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 14:43:39 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:43 UTC

Magewolf <Magewolf@nc.rr.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:32:39 -0700, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 12:27:45 PM UTC-4, Paul S
>> Person wrote:

> multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

>>> It's been a while since I read the relevant material, but that
>>> doesn't sound at /all/ familiar, whether by Finrod or anyone
>>> else. In JRRT, of course; I don't doubt your report on the
>>> series.
>>
>> I watched the first 3 as well. [I've never read the
>> Silmarillion, and this 17 minutes YT summary ("The
>> Similarillion in 3 minutes: Extended edition")
>> convinced me never to try.]
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP9bVbDRrc
>>
>> Reviewers who *are* familiar with the books tell me that they
>> are following one of the plot arcs fairly faithfully, though
>> the timescale is greatly compressed so the human characters
>> don't die of old age between episodes.
>

>> pt
>
> I have read the Silmarillion and most of the story fragments
> books. So I would like to know what plot arc they are following
> fairly faithfully because I am drawing a blank. As far as I can
> tell, if you changed all the names you would not even had to pay
> for the license because no jury in the world would be able to
> find infringement.

They're not actually allowed to use any stuff from the
Silmarillion, or anything other than the trilogy and The Hobbit.
And they're restricted to the 2nd Age.

Yes, you read that right: they're limited to 2nd Age references in
the LotR trilogy and the Hobbit, both set in the last years of the
3rd Age.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<1a79ihl406id34so97ptcbsiavgl86srek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79141&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79141

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:03:35 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:03 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:13:03 -0000 (UTC), Magewolf
<Magewolf@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:32:39 -0700, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I watched the first 3 as well. [I've never read the Silmarillion, and
>> this 17 minutes YT summary ("The Similarillion in 3 minutes: Extended
>> edition")
>> convinced me never to try.]
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP9bVbDRrc
>>
>> Reviewers who *are* familiar with the books tell me that they are
>> following one of the plot arcs fairly faithfully, though the timescale
>> is greatly compressed so the human characters don't die of old age
>> between episodes.
>

>> pt
>
>I have read the Silmarillion and most of the story fragments books. So I
>would like to know what plot arc they are following fairly faithfully
>because I am drawing a blank. As far as I can tell, if you changed all
>the names you would not even had to pay for the license because no jury
>in the world would be able to find infringement.

I haven't watched it yet. I might once the season is over so I can
watch it at my own pace (not a binge, just, say one a day).

But the "roll your own" suggestion reminds me that, when I saw the 2nd
& 3rd of PJ's /The Hobbit/ movies, it occurred to me that the
Elf-Dwarf romance suggested that PJ could probably create some very
fine movies set in Middle Earth that had nothing whatsoever to do with
JRRTs stories.

But that never happened. The film /Warcraft/ remains, for me, the best
JRRT film of all time -- and it's not a JRRT film at all!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<cj79ihhp1lih9c0iff36btjan3ljbk6lkf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79142&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79142

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:06:54 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:06 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 12:27:45 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:02:48 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
>> <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:

>> >*Bump*
>> >
>> >So I've seen the first three episodes and it's... not good. It's filmed beautifully and looks absolutely stunning.
>> >
>> >But the acting and scripting, oh my, are pretty dire. I think they've actually cast some good actors, just given them very little to work with. Finrod's opening spiel about the ship and the stone was particularly cringeworthy:
>> >
>> >"Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone sees only downward. The darkness of the water is vast and irresistible. The ship feels the darkness, as well, striving moment by moment to master her and pull her under. But the ship has a secret. For, unlike the stone, her gaze is not downward but up. Fixed upon the light that guides her, whispering of grander things than darkness ever knew."
>> >- Finrod, demonstrating his understanding of buoyancy.
>> It's been a while since I read the relevant material, but that doesn't
>> sound at /all/ familiar, whether by Finrod or anyone else. In JRRT, of
>> course; I don't doubt your report on the series.
>
>I watched the first 3 as well. [I've never read the Silmarillion, and this
>17 minutes YT summary ("The Similarillion in 3 minutes: Extended edition")
>convinced me never to try.]

It's a set of smaller books, actually. But they are in compressed
form. More like histories than novels.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP9bVbDRrc
>
>Reviewers who *are* familiar with the books tell me that they are following
>one of the plot arcs fairly faithfully, though the timescale is greatly
>compressed so the human characters don't die of old age between episodes.
>
>Its beautiful, but I can't find the sensawunda I had for the PJ films. Its not at the
>'eight deadly words' point, but without the visuals it probably would be.
>
>Whatever, this is a Jeff Bezos vanity project: He's already spent 250M on the
>rights, and about 450M on the first season. It shows on the screen; the production
>values are far higher than the Game of Thrones spinoff also playing, and is I think the
>most expensive TV series in history. Its already greenlighted for 5 seasons.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: (OT) Amazon to develop LOTR TV series.

<slrntia76m.7tvv.newsposter@andor.dropbear.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79165&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79165

From: newspos...@andor.dropbear.id.au (Paul Colquhoun)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 11:03:18 +1000
 by: Paul Colquhoun - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 01:03 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 14:43:39 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

| They're not actually allowed to use any stuff from the
| Silmarillion, or anything other than the trilogy and The Hobbit.
| And they're restricted to the 2nd Age.
| | Yes, you read that right: they're limited to 2nd Age references in
| the LotR trilogy and the Hobbit, both set in the last years of the
| 3rd Age.

Well, that gets them all the basic geography, and the LoTR appendices
have a reasonable outline of the events of the 1st & 2nd ages.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first: