Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie reviews: Omega Man and The Signal/ Cell lookalike
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 23:32 UTC

I have a couple movie reviews I decided would be of some interest here. The main one is The Omega Man, the second adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. It's most noteworthy for having almost nothing to do with the book beyond shared genre roots. I actually went easy on it, however grudgingly..
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-1970s-file-one-with-charlton-heston.html

And here's something extra, a movie with quite a bit in common with Stephen King's novel Cell. The similarities are mildly suggestive but not particularly suspicious. As briefly noted, it's most noteworthy for being vastly better than the official film adaptation of the King novel.
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/09/really-good-movies-one-with-tv-zombies.html

David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movie reviews: Omega Man and The Signal/ Cell lookalike

<tqqbih9tbo4ghmko09s80pee0qj9qaiv0d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79178&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79178

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:53:20 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 15:53 UTC

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:32:03 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a couple movie reviews I decided would be of some interest here. The main one is The Omega Man, the second adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. It's most noteworthy for having almost nothing to do with the book beyond shared genre roots. I actually went easy on it, however grudgingly.
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-1970s-file-one-with-charlton-heston.html

IIRC, when it came out it was claimed [1] to be a Vast Improvement
over /The Last Man on Earth/, being in color and starring Charlton!
Heston! an actual Famous Actor instead of Vincent Price, who was
certainly well-known but hardly a Famous Actor.

I was very disappointed when I saw it. It suffered greatly from my
memory of the original. IIRC, I found to be over-done and
unsatisfying, as if the entire film were about Charlton Heston and his
histrionics. I might feel differently today, of course; it has been a
very long time since it came out.

[1] By whom is a good question. Perhaps the studio, perhaps SF
magazine columnists, perhaps the trailer ... one thing is certain: the
Internet was not involved!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian