From Sharp minds come... pointed heads. -- Bryan Sparrowhawk

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

SubjectAuthor
* Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoMichael F. Stemper
+- Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoRobert Woodward
+- Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoDavid Johnston
`* Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoLouis Epstein
 +* Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoMichael F. Stemper
 |`* Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoLouis Epstein
 | `- Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoMichael F. Stemper
 `- Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and FrodoPaul S Person

1
Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<tg9qut$13gsv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79220&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79220

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 08:31:09 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:31 UTC

Due to the fact that Sméagol and Déagol lived on the banks of the
Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.

Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?

--
Michael F. Stemper
87.3% of all statistics are made up by the person giving them.

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<robertaw-EF7868.09375619092022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79227&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79227

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:37:56 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:37 UTC

In article <tg9qut$13gsv$1@dont-email.me>,
"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to the fact that Sméagol and Déagol lived on the banks of the
> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.
>
> Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
> but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
> any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
> tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?

I believe that the Tooks were Fallohide or at least had significant
Fallohide ancestry. Perhaps the Baggins also had Fallohide ancestors.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<tga7jd$1bhr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79228&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79228

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:06:51 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:06 UTC

On 2022-09-19 7:31 a.m., Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> Due to the fact that Sméagol and Déagol lived on the banks of the
> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.
>
> Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
> but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
> any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
> tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?

When the hobbits settled together in the Shire they stopped being three
distinct races. Bilbo and Frodo were part harfoot, but Fallohide on
their Took side.

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<tgtt03$mn4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79534&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79534

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 04:08:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 04:08 UTC

In alt.fan.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to the fact that Sm?agol and D?agol lived on the banks of the
> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.

Or proto-Stoors..."akin to the fathers of the fathers of the
Stoors",as Gandalf put it.
> Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
> but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
> any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
> tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?

My impression is that Tolkien represented the division into
Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide as something from centuries before the
War of the Ring that had been progressively disappearing through
intermixture since before the Shire was settled.

-=-=-

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<th1q7i$d117$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79611&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79611

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:45:45 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:45 UTC

On 26/09/2022 23.08, Louis Epstein wrote:
> In alt.fan.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Due to the fact that Sm?agol and D?agol lived on the banks of the
>> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.
>
> Or proto-Stoors..."akin to the fathers of the fathers of the
> Stoors",as Gandalf put it.
>
>> Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
>> but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
>> any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
>> tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?
>
> My impression is that Tolkien represented the division into
> Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide as something from centuries before the
> War of the Ring that had been progressively disappearing through
> intermixture since before the Shire was settled.

This initially sounded good, but now I'm doubtful. Déagol found
the Ring in SR 863, right? Shire Reckoning dates from the settling
of the Shire, so the division into Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide had been
progressively disappearing for a millennium or so ('before the
Shire was settled'), yet we have a couple of proto-Stoors? I don't
see how both of those can be right.

--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<9cs8jhdacftgdd4vmaqopoq6omtm6n6o70@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79614&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79614

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:09:46 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:09 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 04:08:35 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

>In alt.fan.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Due to the fact that Sm?agol and D?agol lived on the banks of the
>> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.
>
>Or proto-Stoors..."akin to the fathers of the fathers of the
>Stoors",as Gandalf put it.

Or neither. Just related to (ancient) Stoors.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<thcmev$32i$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79833&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79833

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:49:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:49 UTC

In rec.arts.books.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/09/2022 23.08, Louis Epstein wrote:
>> In alt.fan.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Due to the fact that Sm?agol and D?agol lived on the banks of the
>>> Anduin, it is likely that they were Stoors.
>>
>> Or proto-Stoors..."akin to the fathers of the fathers of the
>> Stoors",as Gandalf put it.
>>
>>> Were Bilbo and Frodo Harfoots? I thought that this was the case,
>>> but reading "Concerning Hobbits" several times doesn't give me
>>> any indication of this. Can anybody point me at some textev in
>>> tLotR for Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide?
>>
>> My impression is that Tolkien represented the division into
>> Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide as something from centuries before the
>> War of the Ring that had been progressively disappearing through
>> intermixture since before the Shire was settled.
>
> This initially sounded good, but now I'm doubtful. D?agol found
> the Ring in SR 863, right? Shire Reckoning dates from the settling
> of the Shire, so the division into Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide had been
> progressively disappearing for a millennium or so ('before the
> Shire was settled'), yet we have a couple of proto-Stoors? I don't
> see how both of those can be right.

Perusing the Tale of Years,I see that in 1356 TA some Stoors
returned to Wilderland,while in 1630 TA others moved from
Dunland to the nascent Shire where other Periannath had
already settled.
The Shire was a place of intermingling while the Wilderland
Stoors had diverged rather than enter that melting pot.

-=-=-

Re: Ethnicity of Bilbo and Frodo

<thhco6$2lnhe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79877&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79877

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 08:33:58 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:33 UTC

On 02/10/2022 13.49, Louis Epstein wrote:
> In rec.arts.books.tolkien Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My impression is that Tolkien represented the division into
>>> Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide as something from centuries before the
>>> War of the Ring that had been progressively disappearing through
>>> intermixture since before the Shire was settled.
>>
>> This initially sounded good, but now I'm doubtful. D?agol found
>> the Ring in SR 863, right? Shire Reckoning dates from the settling
>> of the Shire, so the division into Stoor/Harfoot/Fallohide had been
>> progressively disappearing for a millennium or so ('before the
>> Shire was settled'), yet we have a couple of proto-Stoors? I don't
>> see how both of those can be right.
>
> Perusing the Tale of Years,I see that in 1356 TA some Stoors
> returned to Wilderland,while in 1630 TA others moved from
> Dunland to the nascent Shire where other Periannath had
> already settled.
> The Shire was a place of intermingling while the Wilderland
> Stoors had diverged rather than enter that melting pot.

That works for me. Thanks.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.