If a man has a strong faith he can indulge in the luxury of skepticism. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

interests / alt.toys.transformers / More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

SubjectAuthor
* More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsZobovor
+* Re: More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsIrrellius Spamticon
|`* Re: More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsZobovor
| `- Re: More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsCodigo Postal
 `- Re: More Legacy Uni-Something ListingsZobovor

1
More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<67f31b61-f6a7-4f04-83bd-c614e60be4a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7925&group=alt.toys.transformers#7925

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 04:07 UTC

It's still not entirely evident what LEGACY UNI. actually stands for, but there are new retail listings indicating some of the upcoming product:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/14/new-legacy-uni-studio-series-listings-found-86-springer-cybertron-hot-shot-aoe-steeljaw-more-487206

TRA GEN LEGACY UNI DLX CYBER HOTSHOT
TRA GEN LEGACY UNI ROCK 3
TRA GEN LEGACY UNI STRONGARM PR
TRA GEN LEGACY UNI LDR SOUNDWAVE
TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES CORE TF4 STEELJAW
TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES LDR 86 SPRINGER

This is the third known listing of a possible Rock Lords revival. The product numbers for Hot Shot and Rock 3 are close in sequence, suggesting Rock 3 is also a Deluxe. These are likely going to be the new Weaponizers for the Uni-Something toy line, and it's possible all of them will be modern versions of heritage Rock Lords characters.

At first blush, a Leader-class Soundwave toy seems like a wrong-headed move (think of how huge and out-of-place the Titans Return version was!). But, it's likely he's another Voyager-sized toy in a Leader-class box, perhaps with a couple of pack-in cassettes in order for the price point to make sense. We know that Walmart's exclusive hold on the Netflix version has expired, so this would be a good way to get that highly sought-after toy back into the marketplace. I'm hoping for Beast Box and Squawktalk as his cassettes, but I would also accept Buzzsaw and somebody else, since poor Buzzy never got a Siege toy.

Anybody familiar with the G1 toy line knows Springer was a smallish toy, so a Leader-class version of him also seems weird. But, the Triple Changers were all pretty tiny compared to standard-sized Transformers, so the old Springer was arguably way too small. If you actually look at the movie, and also the scale charts provided for Sunbow, Springer is a big guy. He's only a head shorter than Ultra Magnus. So, a Leader-class toy makes sense, and would effectively supplant the Siege version from 2019. It will have been five years, assuming Uni-Something is the 2024 line, so it was time.

Zob (found the NECA Mirage Comics version of Splinter at Target today, so that was nice)

Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<c3818a0d-bad1-4625-9156-ddf46d2d4e85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7929&group=alt.toys.transformers#7929

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 06:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 13:41 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 11:07:58 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> It's still not entirely evident what LEGACY UNI. actually stands for, but there are new retail listings indicating some of the upcoming product:
>
> https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/14/new-legacy-uni-studio-series-listings-found-86-springer-cybertron-hot-shot-aoe-steeljaw-more-487206
>
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI DLX CYBER HOTSHOT
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI ROCK 3
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI STRONGARM PR
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI LDR SOUNDWAVE
> TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES CORE TF4 STEELJAW
> TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES LDR 86 SPRINGER
>
> This is the third known listing of a possible Rock Lords revival. The product numbers for Hot Shot and Rock 3 are close in sequence, suggesting Rock 3 is also a Deluxe. These are likely going to be the new Weaponizers for the Uni-Something toy line, and it's possible all of them will be modern versions of heritage Rock Lords characters.
>
> At first blush, a Leader-class Soundwave toy seems like a wrong-headed move (think of how huge and out-of-place the Titans Return version was!). But, it's likely he's another Voyager-sized toy in a Leader-class box, perhaps with a couple of pack-in cassettes in order for the price point to make sense. We know that Walmart's exclusive hold on the Netflix version has expired, so this would be a good way to get that highly sought-after toy back into the marketplace. I'm hoping for Beast Box and Squawktalk as his cassettes, but I would also accept Buzzsaw and somebody else, since poor Buzzy never got a Siege toy.
>
> Anybody familiar with the G1 toy line knows Springer was a smallish toy, so a Leader-class version of him also seems weird. But, the Triple Changers were all pretty tiny compared to standard-sized Transformers, so the old Springer was arguably way too small. If you actually look at the movie, and also the scale charts provided for Sunbow, Springer is a big guy. He's only a head shorter than Ultra Magnus. So, a Leader-class toy makes sense, and would effectively supplant the Siege version from 2019. It will have been five years, assuming Uni-Something is the 2024 line, so it was time.
>

> Zob (found the NECA Mirage Comics version of Splinter at Target today, so that was nice)

well this is them fulfilling thie promise of Leader triple changers, we already got Astrotrain, Blitzwing and Sandstorm is supposed to be at the end of the year. I just hope Broadside is bigger than Astrotrain or Blitzwing.

I hope it's Cybertron Defense force Hotshot, because that will be popular.

TF4 Sheeljaw? Drat,it's one of those weird dogs on Lockdown's ship and not the Autobot cassette.

We got a solid case of Beachcomber and a solid case of Axlegrease yesterday and everyone who drove over specifically for Beachcomber ends up buying Axlegrease because they already made the drive out there.

Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<424d55cb-dcef-463d-b083-a5ed848ae340n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7930&group=alt.toys.transformers#7930

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:39 UTC

On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 7:41:18 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:

> well this is them fulfilling thie promise of Leader triple changers, we already got Astrotrain, Blitzwing and Sandstorm is supposed to be at the end of the year. I just hope Broadside is bigger than Astrotrain or Blitzwing.

I'm okay with Leader-class Triple Changers. It seems to allow them to strike a good balance, give them the extra engineering that they need. If a few toys in my collection are $50 instead of $30, I can handle that. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to Sandstorm. The leggy Generations version with the giant wheels (the Springer mold-mate) just never did it for me.

I guess if people will spend $100 on a third-tier character like Motormaster, maybe the world is finally ready for a Commander-class version of Broadside? If they really played up his ability to interact with jets in aircraft carrier mode, and made him the equivalent of the U.S.S. Flagg, that would really be something. I mean, I know he wouldn't be coffee table sized. But If they timed his release to coincide with the release of some new Aerialbots, maybe they could all have pegs so they could plug into his carrier deck or something.

Or, Hasbro could take note of the fact that in the Japanese cartoon, Broadside was the exact same height as Sandstorm and Springer in robot mode (probably because the G1 toys were all the same size) and they could use that as a justification to make Broadside a Voyager-sized Leader toy. It wouldn't be the worst thing they've ever done. With Motormaster, you bought him with the understanding you could buy really good versions of three other Stunticons, plus you could get Breakdown too, and build Menasor. Broadside doesn't have that inherent combiner appeal. So, I think he would be a tougher sell. But, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Zob (finally replaced a piece of vinyl flooring in the living room, and my hands hurt like hell now)

Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<e947b5b4-7ecb-4319-9f8a-1063777a0076n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7933&group=alt.toys.transformers#7933

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:08 UTC

On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 10:39:12 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 7:41:18 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
>
> > well this is them fulfilling thie promise of Leader triple changers, we already got Astrotrain, Blitzwing and Sandstorm is supposed to be at the end of the year. I just hope Broadside is bigger than Astrotrain or Blitzwing.
> I'm okay with Leader-class Triple Changers. It seems to allow them to strike a good balance, give them the extra engineering that they need. If a few toys in my collection are $50 instead of $30, I can handle that. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to Sandstorm. The leggy Generations version with the giant wheels (the Springer mold-mate) just never did it for me.
>
> I guess if people will spend $100 on a third-tier character like Motormaster, maybe the world is finally ready for a Commander-class version of Broadside? If they really played up his ability to interact with jets in aircraft carrier mode, and made him the equivalent of the U.S.S. Flagg, that would really be something. I mean, I know he wouldn't be coffee table sized. But If they timed his release to coincide with the release of some new Aerialbots, maybe they could all have pegs so they could plug into his carrier deck or something.
>
> Or, Hasbro could take note of the fact that in the Japanese cartoon, Broadside was the exact same height as Sandstorm and Springer in robot mode (probably because the G1 toys were all the same size) and they could use that as a justification to make Broadside a Voyager-sized Leader toy. It wouldn't be the worst thing they've ever done. With Motormaster, you bought him with the understanding you could buy really good versions of three other Stunticons, plus you could get Breakdown too, and build Menasor. Broadside doesn't have that inherent combiner appeal. So, I think he would be a tougher sell. But, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

If they're going to make Broadside a leader, I just want him to be leader sized, not Voyager plus some random accessory. At least Astrotrain's coal car made a little sense, but I don't know what the point of Blitzwing's hand accessory is, and I'd rather have a larger Broadside than Broadside plus a set of hockey pads. Maybe a minibot partner but I don't just want random accessories.

> Zob (finally replaced a piece of vinyl flooring in the living room, and my hands hurt like hell now)
Borrow the extra hands from Legacy Blitzwing....

Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<4e2f8dd3-ed42-4f4b-8c8c-bc09194376can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7944&group=alt.toys.transformers#7944

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 07:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:06 UTC

On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 5:07:58 AM UTC+1, Zobovor wrote:
> It's still not entirely evident what LEGACY UNI. actually stands for, but there are new retail listings indicating some of the upcoming product:
>
> https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/14/new-legacy-uni-studio-series-listings-found-86-springer-cybertron-hot-shot-aoe-steeljaw-more-487206
>
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI DLX CYBER HOTSHOT
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI ROCK 3
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI STRONGARM PR
> TRA GEN LEGACY UNI LDR SOUNDWAVE
> TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES CORE TF4 STEELJAW
> TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES LDR 86 SPRINGER
>
> This is the third known listing of a possible Rock Lords revival. The product numbers for Hot Shot and Rock 3 are close in sequence, suggesting Rock 3 is also a Deluxe. These are likely going to be the new Weaponizers for the Uni-Something toy line, and it's possible all of them will be modern versions of heritage Rock Lords characters.
>
> At first blush, a Leader-class Soundwave toy seems like a wrong-headed move (think of how huge and out-of-place the Titans Return version was!). But, it's likely he's another Voyager-sized toy in a Leader-class box, perhaps with a couple of pack-in cassettes in order for the price point to make sense. We know that Walmart's exclusive hold on the Netflix version has expired, so this would be a good way to get that highly sought-after toy back into the marketplace. I'm hoping for Beast Box and Squawktalk as his cassettes, but I would also accept Buzzsaw and somebody else, since poor Buzzy never got a Siege toy.
>
> Anybody familiar with the G1 toy line knows Springer was a smallish toy, so a Leader-class version of him also seems weird. But, the Triple Changers were all pretty tiny compared to standard-sized Transformers, so the old Springer was arguably way too small. If you actually look at the movie, and also the scale charts provided for Sunbow, Springer is a big guy. He's only a head shorter than Ultra Magnus. So, a Leader-class toy makes sense, and would effectively supplant the Siege version from 2019. It will have been five years, assuming Uni-Something is the 2024 line, so it was time.
>

> Zob (found the NECA Mirage Comics version of Splinter at Target today, so that was nice)

I'm not sure we need yet another Springer on the heels of the Siege and Wrecker versions, the latter of which is still available for close to MSRP. Given their recent attention to scale, I doubt that we'd suddenly get an upscaled Springer.

My best guess is a recolor/retool of Siege Springer, with some bonus accessory to justify the cost (a la Coronation Starscream's throne). I'd vote for a missile along with the launcher from his infamous "better things to do tonight than die" speech.

Re: More Legacy Uni-Something Listings

<7d999b0e-3c2c-49f1-be71-c933fb1fa507n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7948&group=alt.toys.transformers#7948

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:28 UTC

On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 8:06:21 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> I'm not sure we need yet another Springer on the heels of the Siege and Wrecker versions, the latter of which is still available for close to MSRP. Given their recent attention to scale, I doubt that we'd suddenly get an upscaled Springer.

So you're thinking it's going to be a repackaged version of the older toy and not something new? Hmm. That's less exciting to me, but I could see it..
> My best guess is a recolor/retool of Siege Springer, with some bonus accessory to justify the cost (a la Coronation Starscream's throne). I'd vote for a missile along with the launcher from his infamous "better things to do tonight than die" speech.

You'd think they would have learned their lesson from Coronation Starscream, who has been languishing not just at retailer outlets but even the aftermarket stores like Ross. He can be had for like fifteen bucks right now. He's not a bad toy, by any stretch of the imagination. But, if you wanted Earthrise Starscream, he wasn't super hard to find.

A fifty-dollar version of Voyager Springer would arguably be an even harder sell than Starscream, given that Springer is not quite as well-known and not quite as popular of a character. The launcher does seem like something they would include as a celebration of all things The Transformers: the Movie, but it would have to be a pretty tiny launcher in order to fit in the package.

I really hope it's just a bigger Springer toy.

Zob (time will tell!)