From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: The Vanished Seas
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 22:51:27 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:51 UTC

I'm almost to the end of _The Vanished Seas_, but I'm going to have to
re-read the last few sections before I can continue. The infection
with spy dust must have happened during one of the times I had to
shove the book back into my bag hastily.

I've been in waiting rooms often enough (see "almost finished" above)
that some of my "can't sleep" thinking has been on the topic of how
the Majdas can keep Major Bhaajan out of fights long enough for
injuries from three books back to heal.

My idea is for Bhaajan to be assigned the job of bodyguarding a prince
of minor nobility, but under the veils is a abaj warrior borrowed from
the Ruby Pharoh. (Not too hard, since both the Pharoh and the
warriors like Bhaaj.) Bhaajan can't give her bodyguard the slip
without appearing to desert a helpless damsel, and can go anywhere she
pleases by saying it's the prince who wants to go.

The thinking time is on how they swap for the real prince, and how
they make it plausible that a prince is allowed out of the harem.
Since it's Bhaajan escorting him, I don't think getting him into the
Undercity would be impossible. Probably some amusing complications.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: The Vanished Seas

<ca5qihhk3dgcn7oj6nmvsnhbsp42c3ki7a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79404&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79404

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: The Vanished Seas
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:16:54 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:16 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 22:51:27 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I'm almost to the end of _The Vanished Seas_, but I'm going to have to
> re-read the last few sections before I can continue. The infection
> with spy dust must have happened during one of the times I had to
> shove the book back into my bag hastily.
>
> I've been in waiting rooms often enough (see "almost finished" above)
> that some of my "can't sleep" thinking has been on the topic of how
> the Majdas can keep Major Bhaajan out of fights long enough for
> injuries from three books back to heal.
>
> My idea is for Bhaajan to be assigned the job of bodyguarding a prince
> of minor nobility, but under the veils is a abaj warrior borrowed from
> the Ruby Pharoh. (Not too hard, since both the Pharoh and the
> warriors like Bhaaj.) Bhaajan can't give her bodyguard the slip
> without appearing to desert a helpless damsel, and can go anywhere she
> pleases by saying it's the prince who wants to go.
>
> The thinking time is on how they swap for the real prince, and how
> they make it plausible that a prince is allowed out of the harem.
> Since it's Bhaajan escorting him, I don't think getting him into the
> Undercity would be impossible. Probably some amusing complications.

Finally finished reading -- a routine tooth cleaning, thank goodness.

I was delighted to see that Bessel met exactly the fate I was hoping
for. (Is that a spoiler?)

Asaro's science fiction gives me more of what I read fantasy for than
her fantasy does.