arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigue

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueJames Nicoll
+- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueJames Nicoll
+- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueGarrett Wollman
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andLynn McGuire
|`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andJames Nicoll
| +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andDimensional Traveler
| +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andLynn McGuire
| `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueWilliam Hyde
`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigueartyw2@yahoo.com
 `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueAndrew McDowell
  +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigueartyw2@yahoo.com
  +* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueDorothy J Heydt
  |`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigueartyw2@yahoo.com
  | `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueDorothy J Heydt
  `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andJay E. Morris
   +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intriguepete...@gmail.com
   +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueThe Horny Goat
   +* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntriguePaul S Person
   |`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueScott Lurndal
   | `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntriguePaul S Person
   |  `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andDimensional Traveler
   |   +* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueScott Lurndal
   |   |`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andDimensional Traveler
   |   | `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueScott Lurndal
   |   `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntriguePaul S Person
   |    `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, andJay E. Morris
   |     `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntriguePaul S Person
   `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and IntrigueWolffan

Pages:12
Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigue

<CT0YK.371159$SAT4.4079@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79488&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79488

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigue
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <tfnf6m$5ok$1@reader2.panix.com> <d94a4db7-70b8-4c57-bbcc-c713dab80e0en@googlegroups.com> <3906d0fc-c1fe-4a43-aa6e-110bb5122bc2n@googlegroups.com> <tfr2bn$2mm8b$1@dont-email.me> <i0krihlflo8f9f9nl8lpjn6k35usrg8aaf@4ax.com> <VjmXK.507373$iiS8.276357@fx17.iad> <tp9uihpj54n7jhv8epoep7f0imgcmdvpr8@4ax.com> <tgnhog$31lho$2@dont-email.me> <qHIXK.232459$PRW4.4655@fx11.iad> <tgnnjl$325uq$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:13:54 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:13 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:
>On 9/24/2022 12:15 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:

>>> Here in the SF Bay Area we had multiple large bases "disappear".
>>
>> Although several of them still exist in forms that would
>> be useful in an emergency, such as Moffet and Alameda NAS.
>>
>> But it's not what it was 30 years ago when Hunters Point
>> and Mare Island were still active.
>
>And the Presidio, Hamilton AFB. There may be one or two more that I'm
>not remembering.

Chrissy field?

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigue

<tgtigf$3rmgd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79530&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79530

From: morr...@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and
Intrigue
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:09:35 -0500
 by: Jay E. Morris - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 01:09 UTC

On 9/25/2022 10:55 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:20:01 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2022 8:50 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

>>> We had two smaller bases disappear on us up here too. Sad, but
>>> unavoidable, I suppose.
>>
>> Here in the SF Bay Area we had multiple large bases "disappear".
>
> Our closest large base was Ft. Lewis. Which, together with McChord
> AFB, became JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord). It survived, presumably
> because there wasn't any other major base anywhere near it.
>
> This wave of shutting bases down turned out to hit areas with a larger
> military presence harder (and/or closer alternative bases) than those
> with a smaller one (and fewer alternatives).

The joint base concept supposedly saves money by combining support
operations where more than one post/base exists. Here in San Antonio
Kelly AFB was closed in one Base Realignment and Closure action, Brooks
AFB in the next BRAC. Then Randolph AFB, Lackland AFB, and Fort Sam
Houston were combined into Joint Base San Antonio. So now for example,
the three base engineering units have been combined into one
organization with one commander, although still located at each base.

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Stories Featuring Spies, Secrets, and Intrigue

<pm86jhdi6d109jmu00aue0n3gvhemttu4a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79556&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79556

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:26:11 -0700
References: <tfnf6m$5ok$1@reader2.panix.com> <d94a4db7-70b8-4c57-bbcc-c713dab80e0en@googlegroups.com> <3906d0fc-c1fe-4a43-aa6e-110bb5122bc2n@googlegroups.com> <tfr2bn$2mm8b$1@dont-email.me> <i0krihlflo8f9f9nl8lpjn6k35usrg8aaf@4ax.com> <VjmXK.507373$iiS8.276357@fx17.iad> <tp9uihpj54n7jhv8epoep7f0imgcmdvpr8@4ax.com> <tgnhog$31lho$2@dont-email.me> <59u0jht3bj7jng0qcjl8gea1qc45uv84gb@4ax.com> <tgtigf$3rmgd$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:26 UTC

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:09:35 -0500, "Jay E. Morris"
<morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:

>On 9/25/2022 10:55 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:20:01 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Here in the SF Bay Area we had multiple large bases "disappear".
>>
>> Our closest large base was Ft. Lewis. Which, together with McChord
>> AFB, became JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord). It survived, presumably
>> because there wasn't any other major base anywhere near it.
>>
>> This wave of shutting bases down turned out to hit areas with a larger
>> military presence harder (and/or closer alternative bases) than those
>> with a smaller one (and fewer alternatives).
>
>The joint base concept supposedly saves money by combining support
>operations where more than one post/base exists. Here in San Antonio
>Kelly AFB was closed in one Base Realignment and Closure action, Brooks
>AFB in the next BRAC. Then Randolph AFB, Lackland AFB, and Fort Sam
>Houston were combined into Joint Base San Antonio. So now for example,
>the three base engineering units have been combined into one
>organization with one commander, although still located at each base.

To some extent, that probably makes sense. Fewer clerks might be
needed in Personnel and/or Finance, for example.

Even if the effect was to add a new level of command above the three
existing commands, logistics involving common items or supplies or
operations should be combinable and so cost less.

On one of my casual duty days after BCT but before I moved on to DLI,
I (and others) assisted an NCO in arranging "reefers" properly. These
were perfectly-ordinary refrigerators, such as might be found in your
home, and were, in fact, found in Base Housing for families when not
in the warehouse we were working in.

That sort of thing could certainly be consolidated.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian