Some people cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

SubjectAuthor
* Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearLynn McGuire
+* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Yearted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearLynn McGuire
||`* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
|| `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  +* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt
||  |`* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  | `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt
||  |  `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  |   `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||  |    `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  |     `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||  |      `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  |       `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||  |        `- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||  `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||   +* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt
||   |`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||   `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||    +* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt
||    |+* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearScott Lurndal
||    ||`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||    |`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||    `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||     `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||      +* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearJames Nicoll
||      |+- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearKevrob
||      |`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
||      +* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt
||      |`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearJames Nicoll
||      `* Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
||       `- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
|+- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearTitus G
|+- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearPaul S Person
|`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearThe Horny Goat
`- Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This YearDorothy J Heydt

Pages:12
Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79571&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79571

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:24:21 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:24 UTC

Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27

Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections

Lynn

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<jph7m1F76u8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79583&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79583

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: 27 Sep 2022 21:18:58 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:18 UTC

In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>
>Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>
>Lynn

There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<tgvsa8$5bec$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79586&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79586

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:09:12 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:09 UTC

On 9/27/2022 4:18 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>>
>> Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>> you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.

But the electioneering will go on until November 8 this year anyway.

Between the unsolicited political texts and the people who want to buy
my various properties, they are driving me nuts.

Lynn

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<rIw5Ew.1ABD@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79590&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79590

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 23:04:08 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 23:04 UTC

In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>
>Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections

(Hal Heydt)
In case you'd forgotten, the specification is "the first Tuesday
after the first Monday in November." Which means that a Federal
election will never be held on 1 Nov. (nor later than 8 Nov.).

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<th0eua$9md8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79595&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79595

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:27:02 +1300
 by: Titus G - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 03:27 UTC

On 28/09/22 10:18, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>>
>> Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>> you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.

Yes. Same with even all our local body elections in Aotearoa. Although
free postal voting begins about three weeks before closing day, the
final day is still referred to as Election Day on voting documentation.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<2ju8jhhdtkedg2hda8kf6ou50j0dfo8l3t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79625&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79625

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:47:54 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:47 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:09:12 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/27/2022 4:18 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
>>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>>>
>>> Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>>> you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>>

>> There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.
>
>But the electioneering will go on until November 8 this year anyway.
>
>Between the unsolicited political texts and the people who want to buy
>my various properties, they are driving me nuts.

I do two things to keep down the damage to my sanity:

1. I don't read them.
2. I put them in the recycle bin at once.

Hey, at least it gives the USPS something to deliver!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<8nu8jhp0is38b3lij1ala176702ac6g4hm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79626&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79626

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:58:52 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:58 UTC

On 27 Sep 2022 21:18:58 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>>
>>Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>>you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>>
>>Lynn
>>

>There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.

Only in States where the Republicans haven't managed to stamp it out.
So far.

Because only "they" vote by mail or before Election Day.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<j5e6khdmtluf33h5mlevc8kr4gspgdkn3p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80139&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80139

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:10:41 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 21:10 UTC

<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <tgvil7$4j91$1@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year
>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/09/27
>>
>>Another week of electioneering after the first Tuesday in November, are
>>you kidding me ? I am already tired of the nonsense.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections
>>
>>Lynn
>>

>There is no Election Day anymore. Early voting has started.

In bc.ca our municipal elections are Oct 15 and early voting started
last Wednesday.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<m8e6khl1c3sgieoh1mklg2deamrtet09us@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80140&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80140

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:19:57 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 21:19 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:47:54 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>>Between the unsolicited political texts and the people who want to buy
>>my various properties, they are driving me nuts.

Yeah I have a realtor like that who is driving me nuts.

Apparently he's noticed I've changed my land title for my house from
my wife and I to just me and assumes (correctly) that we've either
divorced or she's died (correct - last March) and that I am
contemplating moving (completely incorrect)

Last time I talked to him I asked him "I have no intention of selling
- what part of bugger off do you not understand" and resolved that if
I heard from him again I would tell him "I would burn down my house
before I gave you a listing!"

(it's pretty much required to change the title in these situations
since there are some legalities where both signitures are required and
she obviously isn't signing anything)

[Bawled my eyes out the day the Queen's death was announced not so
much because I'm a royalist but rather I had just left the headstone
manufacturer's office and completed the arrangements and started up my
car only to get whalloped by the news from London (where my daughter
lived until recently) Literally seconds after signing the papers for
my wife's stone and leaving their office I got the news.

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

(Most of the time I'm OK but the combination that day overwhelmed me)]

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<rJICBJ.24Gw@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80143&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80143

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:40:31 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:40 UTC

In article <m8e6khl1c3sgieoh1mklg2deamrtet09us@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:47:54 -0700, Paul S Person
><psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>Between the unsolicited political texts and the people who want to buy
>>>my various properties, they are driving me nuts.
>
>Yeah I have a realtor like that who is driving me nuts.
>
>Apparently he's noticed I've changed my land title for my house from
>my wife and I to just me and assumes (correctly) that we've either
>divorced or she's died (correct - last March) and that I am
>contemplating moving (completely incorrect)
(Hal Heydt)
The house I own is rented because it's in a place I don't want to
live and the income is useful...so not selling it. I don't have
to change the title because we put it in a family trust some
years ago.

>Last time I talked to him I asked him "I have no intention of selling
>- what part of bugger off do you not understand" and resolved that if
>I heard from him again I would tell him "I would burn down my house
>before I gave you a listing!"
I would tell someone like that two things... First, because of
his calls, I won't do business with him. Second, why would I do
business with someone whose first action is to violate Federal
law (my number is on the Do Not Call list)?

>[Bawled my eyes out the day the Queen's death was announced not so
>much because I'm a royalist but rather I had just left the headstone
>manufacturer's office and completed the arrangements and started up my
>car only to get whalloped by the news from London (where my daughter
>lived until recently) Literally seconds after signing the papers for
>my wife's stone and leaving their office I got the news.
>
>Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
>
>(Most of the time I'm OK but the combination that day overwhelmed me)]

My wife of 51 years having died at the end of June, I fully
understand, and completely sympathize with that reaction. You
have my condolences.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<cfr6khdp7igj37lumj7te0vo57ff6s62d6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80152&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80152

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 18:05:29 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:05 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:40:31 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>>Last time I talked to him I asked him "I have no intention of selling
>>- what part of bugger off do you not understand" and resolved that if
>>I heard from him again I would tell him "I would burn down my house
>>before I gave you a listing!"
>I would tell someone like that two things... First, because of
>his calls, I won't do business with him. Second, why would I do
>business with someone whose first action is to violate Federal
>law (my number is on the Do Not Call list)?

I'm in Canada and while we do have a national DO NOT CALL list the
Trudeau government has been absolutely gutless in attempting to
enforce it. I am not aware of any prosecutions under it.

>>[Bawled my eyes out the day the Queen's death was announced not so
>>much because I'm a royalist but rather I had just left the headstone
>>manufacturer's office and completed the arrangements and started up my
>>car only to get whalloped by the news from London (where my daughter
>>lived until recently) Literally seconds after signing the papers for
>>my wife's stone and leaving their office I got the news.
>>
>>Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
>>
>>(Most of the time I'm OK but the combination that day overwhelmed me)]
>
>My wife of 51 years having died at the end of June, I fully
>understand, and completely sympathize with that reaction. You
>have my condolences.

And you as well. We were only given 37 years but my daughter (who
lives with me) could attest I didn't say very much that day. I didn't
wear my ring for nearly 2 years before her death but have been
faithfully wearing it since and mercifully daughter has not inquired.

Bottom line is that I would be most unlikely to re-marry since my
father did so as soon as he could and she lived with him for 3 years
then put him into an institution where he died 3 years later realizing
full well what had happened (in between bouts of dementia) and scooped
85% of an estate just under $2M and left us to pay the taxes. (My
brother and I each got $2200 while our 6 grandchildren - my 3 and his
3 - got about $25k apiece) Given my mother's parents had willed
everything to her and Mom had failed to sign her new will, he got most
of the estate though my brother and I shared 1/3 of the family
business.

So if it seems I'm hellbent on not doing that to MY kids you'd be
right.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<rJIpxz.oo0@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80156&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80156

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:34:47 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:34 UTC

In article <cfr6khdp7igj37lumj7te0vo57ff6s62d6@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:40:31 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
>wrote:
>
>>>Last time I talked to him I asked him "I have no intention of selling
>>>- what part of bugger off do you not understand" and resolved that if
>>>I heard from him again I would tell him "I would burn down my house
>>>before I gave you a listing!"
>>I would tell someone like that two things... First, because of
>>his calls, I won't do business with him. Second, why would I do
>>business with someone whose first action is to violate Federal
>>law (my number is on the Do Not Call list)?
>
>I'm in Canada and while we do have a national DO NOT CALL list the
>Trudeau government has been absolutely gutless in attempting to
>enforce it. I am not aware of any prosecutions under it.

At least you've still got the fallback of saying that you won't
do business with anyone who keeps calling you with unsolicited
offers.

Side note...Most of the spam phone calls on the house line are
(a) obviously from South Asian call centers (the background noise
gives them away) and (b) asking for my late wife. I simply state
that she is no longer at this number. Since she died *none* of
them have asked if I have a new number for her. If they do, I'll
reply that I don't have one. I'm NOT going to tell them she's
dead. That would probably lead to a whole new--and even more
unpleasant--raft of calls.

>>>[Bawled my eyes out the day the Queen's death was announced not so
>>>much because I'm a royalist but rather I had just left the headstone
>>>manufacturer's office and completed the arrangements and started up my
>>>car only to get whalloped by the news from London (where my daughter
>>>lived until recently) Literally seconds after signing the papers for
>>>my wife's stone and leaving their office I got the news.
>>>
>>>Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
>>>
>>>(Most of the time I'm OK but the combination that day overwhelmed me)]
>>
>>My wife of 51 years having died at the end of June, I fully
>>understand, and completely sympathize with that reaction. You
>>have my condolences.
>
>And you as well. We were only given 37 years but my daughter (who
>lives with me) could attest I didn't say very much that day. I didn't
>wear my ring for nearly 2 years before her death but have been
>faithfully wearing it since and mercifully daughter has not inquired.
>
>Bottom line is that I would be most unlikely to re-marry since my
>father did so as soon as he could and she lived with him for 3 years
>then put him into an institution where he died 3 years later realizing
>full well what had happened (in between bouts of dementia) and scooped
>85% of an estate just under $2M and left us to pay the taxes. (My
>brother and I each got $2200 while our 6 grandchildren - my 3 and his
>3 - got about $25k apiece) Given my mother's parents had willed
>everything to her and Mom had failed to sign her new will, he got most
>of the estate though my brother and I shared 1/3 of the family
>business.
>
>So if it seems I'm hellbent on not doing that to MY kids you'd be
>right.

We put our estate in a trust some years ago. Aside from the
house that I inherited from my mother, there isn't much.
Fortunately, our kids get along with each other. Since Dorothy
had a will, all I had to do is file that with the county. No
probate involved. It's just a matter of finding and winding
little odds and ends, most of which are being taken care of
taking her name off the one credit card we had, and closing her
checking account--which I had control over because it was in the
trust. Dunno if Canada has similar legal cover or not.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<c1i8kh9sk7dvv5oere5fa9mc2l2fkqf4qp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80190&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80190

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:29:54 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 16:29 UTC

On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:19:57 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:47:54 -0700, Paul S Person
><psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>Between the unsolicited political texts and the people who want to buy
>>>my various properties, they are driving me nuts.
>
>Yeah I have a realtor like that who is driving me nuts.
>
>Apparently he's noticed I've changed my land title for my house from
>my wife and I to just me and assumes (correctly) that we've either
>divorced or she's died (correct - last March) and that I am
>contemplating moving (completely incorrect)

That may be, but most of the offers I get in the mail are addressed
only to me. Only a few also list my brother and co-owner.

Which I take to mean that very few of these morons actually check the
land records to see who actually owns a given house. At least in the
PNW of the USA.

>Last time I talked to him I asked him "I have no intention of selling
>- what part of bugger off do you not understand" and resolved that if
>I heard from him again I would tell him "I would burn down my house
>before I gave you a listing!"
>
>(it's pretty much required to change the title in these situations
>since there are some legalities where both signitures are required and
>she obviously isn't signing anything)
>
>[Bawled my eyes out the day the Queen's death was announced not so
>much because I'm a royalist but rather I had just left the headstone
>manufacturer's office and completed the arrangements and started up my
>car only to get whalloped by the news from London (where my daughter
>lived until recently) Literally seconds after signing the papers for
>my wife's stone and leaving their office I got the news.
>
>Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
>
>(Most of the time I'm OK but the combination that day overwhelmed me)]
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<rJJuxu.1oA3@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80208&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80208

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:20:18 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:20 UTC

In article <c1i8kh9sk7dvv5oere5fa9mc2l2fkqf4qp@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:19:57 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:

>>Yeah I have a realtor like that who is driving me nuts.
>>
>>Apparently he's noticed I've changed my land title for my house from
>>my wife and I to just me and assumes (correctly) that we've either
>>divorced or she's died (correct - last March) and that I am
>>contemplating moving (completely incorrect)
>
>That may be, but most of the offers I get in the mail are addressed
>only to me. Only a few also list my brother and co-owner.
>
>Which I take to mean that very few of these morons actually check the
>land records to see who actually owns a given house. At least in the
>PNW of the USA.

(Hal Heydt)
Some of them must check, since I get regular mailed solicitations
from what I assume to be house flippers address to the name of
the trust we set up, and it's the trust that holds the actual
title.

I also presume that every time someone gives a bunch of suckers
and seminar on house flipping, they all start looking at the
county records and start sending out letters, since they seem to
come in batches.

There is also a marked tendency for them to use letters that are
obviously run off on a pinter, but using handwriting fonts. Do
they think I can't tell?

I any case, anything with my address on it goes through the
shredder and the rest goes into the recyling bin.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<h22akhl63v7p74uqna4i7plvhuch1gft00@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80244&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80244

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:17:18 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:17 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:34:47 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>We put our estate in a trust some years ago. Aside from the
>house that I inherited from my mother, there isn't much.
>Fortunately, our kids get along with each other. Since Dorothy
>had a will, all I had to do is file that with the county. No
>probate involved. It's just a matter of finding and winding
>little odds and ends, most of which are being taken care of
>taking her name off the one credit card we had, and closing her
>checking account--which I had control over because it was in the
>trust. Dunno if Canada has similar legal cover or not.

If you're talking trusts then yes but the feds seem to act as if
cutting red tape LENGTHWISE is what they think cutting government red
tape is.

My RRSPs (what you would call retirement accounts - I think the
American term is "IRA") had automatic transfer to a given spousal
beneficiary on death while I had to transfer ownership of my house
from 'joint tenancy' to sole ownership since no title change could be
made without signatures of all owners and in her case that's unlikely.
When I go my children (as my heirs) will have a sizable tax bill on
that account (assuming I go in the next 10 years) but capital gains on
one's principal residence are tax free and given inflation in housing
prices that will be much more than anything from my retirement
account.

That main outstanding issue at this point is filing her final tax
return which is due at the same tme everybody else's is next April.
For me the challenge is keeping the paperwork straight since her only
2022 income is 3 months of old age pension plus liquidation of a
relatively small retirement account since her bank did NOT follow my
instructions on transferring her account and will therefore be deemed
as a cash withdrawal subject to full tax treatment. (Again it's
relatively small compared to the account I had for her with my account
rep and which transferred without probate)

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<gk2akhpfq7t3gr7b7vi73vufj5glg7v8qb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80245&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80245

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:20:22 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:20 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:29:54 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>Which I take to mean that very few of these morons actually check the
>land records to see who actually owns a given house. At least in the
>PNW of the USA.

That wouldn't surprise me at all and I normally ask which company they
are calling on behalf of and if there is any hesitation in giving me a
straight answer I hang up.

For me what will be interesting is whether her name is on the voters'
list for our municipal election which is next Saturday since while the
mayor was at her interment (she had served on multiple
council-appointed advisory committees) I don't that that counts with
respect to the voters' list.

If a declaration is required by me then I will make it after I cast my
own vote.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<rJLJF9.11oy@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80263&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80263

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:06:45 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:06 UTC

In article <gk2akhpfq7t3gr7b7vi73vufj5glg7v8qb@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>For me what will be interesting is whether her name is on the voters'
>list for our municipal election which is next Saturday since while the
>mayor was at her interment (she had served on multiple
>council-appointed advisory committees) I don't that that counts with
>respect to the voters' list.

(Hal Heydt)
Within a month of Dorothy's death I got a notice from the county
that she had been removed from the voter rolls. So here, at
least, whatever the vital statistics office is called these days
and the local registrar of voters appear to communicate with each
other.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<o86bkhlb261e3ebr588ga9udof8tm1te8g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80268&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80268

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:28:04 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:28 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:17:18 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:34:47 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>Heydt) wrote:
>
>>We put our estate in a trust some years ago. Aside from the
>>house that I inherited from my mother, there isn't much.
>>Fortunately, our kids get along with each other. Since Dorothy
>>had a will, all I had to do is file that with the county. No
>>probate involved. It's just a matter of finding and winding
>>little odds and ends, most of which are being taken care of
>>taking her name off the one credit card we had, and closing her
>>checking account--which I had control over because it was in the
>>trust. Dunno if Canada has similar legal cover or not.
>
>If you're talking trusts then yes but the feds seem to act as if
>cutting red tape LENGTHWISE is what they think cutting government red
>tape is.
>
>My RRSPs (what you would call retirement accounts - I think the
>American term is "IRA") had automatic transfer to a given spousal
>beneficiary on death while I had to transfer ownership of my house
>from 'joint tenancy' to sole ownership since no title change could be
>made without signatures of all owners and in her case that's unlikely.
>When I go my children (as my heirs) will have a sizable tax bill on
>that account (assuming I go in the next 10 years) but capital gains on
>one's principal residence are tax free and given inflation in housing
>prices that will be much more than anything from my retirement
>account.
>
>That main outstanding issue at this point is filing her final tax
>return which is due at the same tme everybody else's is next April.
>For me the challenge is keeping the paperwork straight since her only
>2022 income is 3 months of old age pension plus liquidation of a
>relatively small retirement account since her bank did NOT follow my
>instructions on transferring her account and will therefore be deemed
>as a cash withdrawal subject to full tax treatment. (Again it's
>relatively small compared to the account I had for her with my account
>rep and which transferred without probate)

When I was still working, I occasionally ran into people who had
fallen into that trap. I don't know if it was just an uninformed
decision, ignorance on the part of an executor, or the only choice
available (back then at least).
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<9e6bkhd5fkf5v5m2pujur99hkge84rmcsj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80270&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80270

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:31:20 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:31 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:20:18 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <c1i8kh9sk7dvv5oere5fa9mc2l2fkqf4qp@4ax.com>,
>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:19:57 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>Yeah I have a realtor like that who is driving me nuts.
>>>
>>>Apparently he's noticed I've changed my land title for my house from
>>>my wife and I to just me and assumes (correctly) that we've either
>>>divorced or she's died (correct - last March) and that I am
>>>contemplating moving (completely incorrect)
>>
>>That may be, but most of the offers I get in the mail are addressed
>>only to me. Only a few also list my brother and co-owner.
>>
>>Which I take to mean that very few of these morons actually check the
>>land records to see who actually owns a given house. At least in the
>>PNW of the USA.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Some of them must check, since I get regular mailed solicitations
>from what I assume to be house flippers address to the name of
>the trust we set up, and it's the trust that holds the actual
>title.

More evidence against my preferred assumption.

>I also presume that every time someone gives a bunch of suckers
>and seminar on house flipping, they all start looking at the
>county records and start sending out letters, since they seem to
>come in batches.

My preference has been to assume that the seminar-givers make the Big
Bucks selling lists of "prospects" to the suckers.

At least, that way, /somebody/ makes money out of the scam.

>There is also a marked tendency for them to use letters that are
>obviously run off on a pinter, but using handwriting fonts. Do
>they think I can't tell?

Yes. These are clearly not the brightest crayons in the box.

>I any case, anything with my address on it goes through the
>shredder and the rest goes into the recyling bin.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<9k6bkhdql13olt4osmjkv2802b4j2svmnc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80271&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80271

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:33:53 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:33 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:20:22 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:29:54 -0700, Paul S Person
><psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Which I take to mean that very few of these morons actually check the
>>land records to see who actually owns a given house. At least in the
>>PNW of the USA.
>>
>That wouldn't surprise me at all and I normally ask which company they
>are calling on behalf of and if there is any hesitation in giving me a
>straight answer I hang up.
>
>For me what will be interesting is whether her name is on the voters'
>list for our municipal election which is next Saturday since while the
>mayor was at her interment (she had served on multiple
>council-appointed advisory committees) I don't that that counts with
>respect to the voters' list.
>
>If a declaration is required by me then I will make it after I cast my
>own vote.

My theory is that, since vital statistics are collected and are public
record, the part of the gummint which supervises elections can just
check with the part that collects the vital statistics.

If they don't, then /that/ is a weakness I would agree should be
looked at (to see if there is any valid reason for it) and plugged if
appropriate.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<Ceh1L.134231$6gz7.62041@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80275&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80275

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:56:02 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:56 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>In article <gk2akhpfq7t3gr7b7vi73vufj5glg7v8qb@4ax.com>,
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>>For me what will be interesting is whether her name is on the voters'
>>list for our municipal election which is next Saturday since while the
>>mayor was at her interment (she had served on multiple
>>council-appointed advisory committees) I don't that that counts with
>>respect to the voters' list.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Within a month of Dorothy's death I got a notice from the county
>that she had been removed from the voter rolls. So here, at
>least, whatever the vital statistics office is called these days
>and the local registrar of voters appear to communicate with each
>other.

I suspect that is pretty universal. Even in Florida:

"For example, Wiggins sent the Manatee County Supervisor of
Elections a request for mail-in ballots for both himself and
his wife, who had died two years ago.

He signed the application for his dead wife.

The ballot request he sent was immediately flagged because
Wiggins' wife, Ursula, had already been taken off the voting
rolls because of her death. And after that was flagged, the
signature on the application was compared to the dead woman's
signature on file. And when they didn't match, the elections
office referred the case to law enforcement for prosecution.

Instead of getting a mail-in ballot from the elections office,
Wiggins got a deputy charging him with the felony of filing a
fraudulent application."

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<4d0dkht6iva6d6lbik6nlmgsgm4n9eov8b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80349&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80349

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 02:01:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:01 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:06:45 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <gk2akhpfq7t3gr7b7vi73vufj5glg7v8qb@4ax.com>,
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>>For me what will be interesting is whether her name is on the voters'
>>list for our municipal election which is next Saturday since while the
>>mayor was at her interment (she had served on multiple
>>council-appointed advisory committees) I don't that that counts with
>>respect to the voters' list.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Within a month of Dorothy's death I got a notice from the county
>that she had been removed from the voter rolls. So here, at
>least, whatever the vital statistics office is called these days
>and the local registrar of voters appear to communicate with each
>other.

We'll see on Saturday - in BC vital statistics is handled by the
province while the municipal electoral roles are maintained by the
municipalities. If the two of them talk to each other (e.g. the
Department of Vital statistics - they're the ones that issue the death
certificates - and the municipal clerk's office - who maintains the
voters list then all well and good.)

As I say I will make a point of checking on Saturday particularly to
ensure they've not removed my daughter's name since she lives with us
and has not to my knowledge voted in the last two local elections
(she's 35 so definitely of voting age in both of them)

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<1k0dkhh0kv48j3tqs06ac31ajqoc23fqdb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80350&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80350

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 02:02:41 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:02 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:56:02 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

> The ballot request he sent was immediately flagged because
> Wiggins' wife, Ursula, had already been taken off the voting
> rolls because of her death. And after that was flagged, the
> signature on the application was compared to the dead woman's
> signature on file. And when they didn't match, the elections
> office referred the case to law enforcement for prosecution.
>
> Instead of getting a mail-in ballot from the elections office,
> Wiggins got a deputy charging him with the felony of filing a
> fraudulent application."

I'm my wife's executor - I'm pretty sure that does not entitle me to
vote on her behalf!

In any case I will check with the poll clerks on Saturday when I vote.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<fm0dkhhlq89sc7m4movh45jrt3vv7emhj9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80351&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80351

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 02:08:46 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:08 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:33:53 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>If they don't, then /that/ is a weakness I would agree should be
>looked at (to see if there is any valid reason for it) and plugged if
>appropriate.

One federal election about 10 years ago I was on the voter's list
TWICE. After I voted I read the next name on the list and said "I'm
pretty sure the fellow on your list won't be voting today!" They asked
why I was so sure on that and I said "because he's me and I just voted
and don't plan on voting a second time!" and produced my ID as proof.

I >suspect< the cause was the box on the Canadian income tax form
which if checked says "I authorize the Canada Revenue Agency to share
my personal information with Elections Canada for the purpose of
updating the voters' list"

Since my father and I shared a first name in common, my mother decided
very early on that I would be called by my middle name (which happened
to be her father's name) rather than by my first name while my tax
return calls me by my full legal name and thus one name on the list
was under my first name the other was my middle name (which is the one
everybody except the tax man and my pharmacist use)

My ID of course has my full legal name whereas my VISA card and ATM
card don't.

Re: Arlo and Janis: The USA Election Day is November 8 This Year

<a21dkh9fqh7mreou0b9cugu2csnjfdm6vn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80352&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80352

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 02:12:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:12 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:28:04 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:17:18 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:34:47 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>>Heydt) wrote:
>>
>>>We put our estate in a trust some years ago. Aside from the
>>>house that I inherited from my mother, there isn't much.
>>>Fortunately, our kids get along with each other. Since Dorothy
>>>had a will, all I had to do is file that with the county. No
>>>probate involved. It's just a matter of finding and winding
>>>little odds and ends, most of which are being taken care of
>>>taking her name off the one credit card we had, and closing her
>>>checking account--which I had control over because it was in the
>>>trust. Dunno if Canada has similar legal cover or not.
>>
>>If you're talking trusts then yes but the feds seem to act as if
>>cutting red tape LENGTHWISE is what they think cutting government red
>>tape is.
>>
>>My RRSPs (what you would call retirement accounts - I think the
>>American term is "IRA") had automatic transfer to a given spousal
>>beneficiary on death while I had to transfer ownership of my house
>>from 'joint tenancy' to sole ownership since no title change could be
>>made without signatures of all owners and in her case that's unlikely.
>>When I go my children (as my heirs) will have a sizable tax bill on
>>that account (assuming I go in the next 10 years) but capital gains on
>>one's principal residence are tax free and given inflation in housing
>>prices that will be much more than anything from my retirement
>>account.
>>
>>That main outstanding issue at this point is filing her final tax
>>return which is due at the same tme everybody else's is next April.
>>For me the challenge is keeping the paperwork straight since her only
>>2022 income is 3 months of old age pension plus liquidation of a
>>relatively small retirement account since her bank did NOT follow my
>>instructions on transferring her account and will therefore be deemed
>>as a cash withdrawal subject to full tax treatment. (Again it's
>>relatively small compared to the account I had for her with my account
>>rep and which transferred without probate)
>
>When I was still working, I occasionally ran into people who had
>fallen into that trap. I don't know if it was just an uninformed
>decision, ignorance on the part of an executor, or the only choice
>available (back then at least).

I'm her executor and I told the bank how it was to be processed - but
they ignored my instructions and paid it out directly in the form of a
check which would invalidate the tax-free status.

She died in early March and her only income was 3 months of the
federal pension so hopefully that plus the RRSP payout will be below
the minimum but if not I will just have to pay it and with the major
banks it's NEVER their fault in terms of paying for their errors.