From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [review] The Merlin of St. Gilles' Well (Joan of Arc Tapestries, volume 1) by Ann Chamberlin
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 12:51:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 12:51 UTC

The Merlin of St. Gilles' Well (Joan of Arc Tapestries, volume 1) by Ann Chamberlin

Two young men, one a peasant and one an aristocrat, are fated
to play special roles in France's destiny. Eventually. First,
they have to grow up.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/and-oh-so-bright

Re: [review] The Merlin of St. Gilles' Well (Joan of Arc Tapestries, volume 1) by Ann Chamberlin

<j5RZK.198408$IRd5.26510@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79794&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79794

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Subject: Re: [review] The Merlin of St. Gilles' Well (Joan of Arc
Tapestries, volume 1) by Ann Chamberlin
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 06:27:27 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 06:27 UTC

On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 12:51:25 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:

> The Merlin of St. Gilles' Well (Joan of Arc Tapestries, volume 1) by Ann
> Chamberlin
>
> Two young men, one a peasant and one an aristocrat, are fated to play
> special roles in France's destiny. Eventually. First,
> they have to grow up.
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/and-oh-so-bright

I read your review. I would like to have learned more about how
the two boys figure in the plot. Other online material about
the book and its series emphasizes the St. Joan/magic angle
and hardly mentions them. I did learn that the peasant boy
acquires visionary powers.

St. Joan shows up in interesting places. I suspect that Arthur
C. Clarke had her in mind when he chose a name for the character
Jean in "Childhood's End" who divines the location of the home
planet of the Overlords and therefore becomes "the most
important human alive," as another character says.