From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: September roundup of government types in the books I read
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 13:41:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 13:41 UTC

Which, for various reasons I won't go into, probably cannot be seen
as a representative sample. Also, my government types are so broad
as to be useless.

Not applicable: mainly applies to anthologies or magazines
Unclear: where I could not work out what the political structure was
Anarchy: no government, every sentient for themselves
Pure Democracy: everyone gets a direct say
Representative Democracy: decision-making deferred to a small number of
people selected by their respective communities
Oligarchy: a small group of people run things without input from the
masses
Autocracy: one person makes all the decisions

Government Types September

Total 22, Not Applicable 4 (18%), Unclear 3 (14%), Anarchy 0 (0%),
Pure democracy 0 (0%), Representative democracy 6 (27%), Oligarchy 8
(36%), Autocracy 1 (5%)

Government Type 2022 TD

Total 195, Not Applicable 33 (17%), Unclear 15 (8%), Anarchy 5 (3%),
Pure democracy 1 (1%), Representative democracy 53 (27%), Oligarchy 68
(35%), Autocracy 20 (10%)

Re: September roundup of government types in the books I read

<f04b4aa2-c574-4fb1-adc0-3c4684162d9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79809&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79809

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 11:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:27 UTC

On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 2:42:01 PM UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> Which, for various reasons I won't go into, probably cannot be seen
> as a representative sample. Also, my government types are so broad
> as to be useless.
>
> Not applicable: mainly applies to anthologies or magazines
> Unclear: where I could not work out what the political structure was
> Anarchy: no government, every sentient for themselves
> Pure Democracy: everyone gets a direct say
> Representative Democracy: decision-making deferred to a small number of
> people selected by their respective communities
> Oligarchy: a small group of people run things without input from the
> masses
> Autocracy: one person makes all the decisions
>
> Government Types September
>
> Total 22, Not Applicable 4 (18%), Unclear 3 (14%), Anarchy 0 (0%),
> Pure democracy 0 (0%), Representative democracy 6 (27%), Oligarchy 8
> (36%), Autocracy 1 (5%)
>
> Government Type 2022 TD
>
> Total 195, Not Applicable 33 (17%), Unclear 15 (8%), Anarchy 5 (3%),
> Pure democracy 1 (1%), Representative democracy 53 (27%), Oligarchy 68
> (35%), Autocracy 20 (10%)
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll

Here's a short and very unscientific list of what I misread your article to be about - Government types - as in illustrative characters with connections to the government

Boffin - Sir Austin Cardynge (EE Smith Lensman series)
Working class hero - Bob Howard (Charles Stross Laundry Series)
Politician - Steady Freddy (Bujold Vorkosiverse - Alas the UK has just missed out on PM Dishi Rishi)
Bureaucrat - Klemsch (Secretary of the Navy Board in Drake's RCN series)
Crook - Dean Olfetrie Sr (Crooked contractor to the RCN in one of Drake's later RCN books - "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" - appears only off screen as far as I can remember)

Re: September roundup of government types in the books I read

<tha4ok$913$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79813&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79813

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:34:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:34 UTC

In article <f04b4aa2-c574-4fb1-adc0-3c4684162d9an@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 2:42:01 PM UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Which, for various reasons I won't go into, probably cannot be seen
>> as a representative sample. Also, my government types are so broad
>> as to be useless.
>>
>> Not applicable: mainly applies to anthologies or magazines
>> Unclear: where I could not work out what the political structure was
>> Anarchy: no government, every sentient for themselves
>> Pure Democracy: everyone gets a direct say
>> Representative Democracy: decision-making deferred to a small
>number of
>> people selected by their respective communities
>> Oligarchy: a small group of people run things without input from the
>> masses
>> Autocracy: one person makes all the decisions
>>
>> Government Types September
>>
>> Total 22, Not Applicable 4 (18%), Unclear 3 (14%), Anarchy 0 (0%),
>> Pure democracy 0 (0%), Representative democracy 6 (27%), Oligarchy 8
>> (36%), Autocracy 1 (5%)
>>
>> Government Type 2022 TD
>>
>> Total 195, Not Applicable 33 (17%), Unclear 15 (8%), Anarchy 5 (3%),
>> Pure democracy 1 (1%), Representative democracy 53 (27%), Oligarchy 68
>> (35%), Autocracy 20 (10%)
>> --
>> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
>> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
>> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
>> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
>
>Here's a short and very unscientific list of what I misread your
>article to be about - Government types - as in illustrative
>characters with connections to the government
>
>Boffin - Sir Austin Cardynge (EE Smith Lensman series)
>Working class hero - Bob Howard (Charles Stross Laundry Series)
>Politician - Steady Freddy (Bujold Vorkosiverse - Alas the UK has
>just missed out on PM Dishi Rishi)
>Bureaucrat - Klemsch (Secretary of the Navy Board in Drake's RCN series)
>Crook - Dean Olfetrie Sr (Crooked contractor to the RCN in one of
>Drake's later RCN books - "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" -
>appears only off screen as far as I can remember)

Protagonist occupations would be an interest thing to track but as it
is I am right at the edge of the amount of effort I am willing to
track.

Re: September roundup of government types in the books I read

<ff458c77-3241-4113-b5c5-2831fa49b24bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79814&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79814

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 12:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:39 UTC

On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:34:48 PM UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <f04b4aa2-c574-4fb1...@googlegroups.com>,
> Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
> >On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 2:42:01 PM UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Which, for various reasons I won't go into, probably cannot be seen
> >> as a representative sample. Also, my government types are so broad
> >> as to be useless.
> >>
> >> Not applicable: mainly applies to anthologies or magazines
> >> Unclear: where I could not work out what the political structure was
> >> Anarchy: no government, every sentient for themselves
> >> Pure Democracy: everyone gets a direct say
> >> Representative Democracy: decision-making deferred to a small
> >number of
> >> people selected by their respective communities
> >> Oligarchy: a small group of people run things without input from the
> >> masses
> >> Autocracy: one person makes all the decisions
> >>
> >> Government Types September
> >>
> >> Total 22, Not Applicable 4 (18%), Unclear 3 (14%), Anarchy 0 (0%),
> >> Pure democracy 0 (0%), Representative democracy 6 (27%), Oligarchy 8
> >> (36%), Autocracy 1 (5%)
> >>
> >> Government Type 2022 TD
> >>
> >> Total 195, Not Applicable 33 (17%), Unclear 15 (8%), Anarchy 5 (3%),
> >> Pure democracy 1 (1%), Representative democracy 53 (27%), Oligarchy 68
> >> (35%), Autocracy 20 (10%)
> >> --
> >> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> >> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> >> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> >> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
> >
> >Here's a short and very unscientific list of what I misread your
> >article to be about - Government types - as in illustrative
> >characters with connections to the government
> >
> >Boffin - Sir Austin Cardynge (EE Smith Lensman series)
> >Working class hero - Bob Howard (Charles Stross Laundry Series)
> >Politician - Steady Freddy (Bujold Vorkosiverse - Alas the UK has
> >just missed out on PM Dishi Rishi)
> >Bureaucrat - Klemsch (Secretary of the Navy Board in Drake's RCN series)
> >Crook - Dean Olfetrie Sr (Crooked contractor to the RCN in one of
> >Drake's later RCN books - "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" -
> >appears only off screen as far as I can remember)
> >
> Protagonist occupations would be an interest thing to track but as it
> is I am right at the edge of the amount of effort I am willing to
> track.
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
I'm impressed that you have put in as much effort as you have - I just happened to go off on a tangent by misreading your titl