Expansion means complexity; and complexity decay.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy James Nicoll
+- Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With FantScott Lurndal
+* Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and DetectiveDimensional Traveler
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and DetectiveGarrett Wollman
+- Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and DetectiveTitus G
`- Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With FantDefault User

1
[tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<thfgu6$evi$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79855&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79855

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:33:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:33 UTC

Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy
and Horror

https://www.tor.com/2022/10/03/eight-works-that-blend-mystery-and-detective-fiction-with-fantasy-and-horror/

What it says on the tin. Inspired by someone saying something easily
disproven on the twitter.

Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<%ZH_K.200974$IRd5.140973@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79856&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79856

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 20:54:19 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:54 UTC

jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
>Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy
>and Horror
>
>https://www.tor.com/2022/10/03/eight-works-that-blend-mystery-and-detective-fiction-with-fantasy-and-horror/
>
>What it says on the tin. Inspired by someone saying something easily
>disproven on the twitter.

The classic SF legal procedural is Biggle's _Monument_.

Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<thfo40$2b3d9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79859&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79859

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective
Fiction With Fantasy and Horror
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 15:35:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 22:35 UTC

On 10/3/2022 1:33 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy
> and Horror
>
> https://www.tor.com/2022/10/03/eight-works-that-blend-mystery-and-detective-fiction-with-fantasy-and-horror/
>
> What it says on the tin. Inspired by someone saying something easily
> disproven on the twitter.

So you are planning on an infinite series of articles inspired by
someone saying something easily disproven on the twitter? You're going
to have to start typing a LOT faster. :P

dirty old man.

Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<thfq8m$2d2f$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79862&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79862

From: woll...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Fiction With Fantasy and Horror
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:12:22 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:12 UTC

In article <thfo40$2b3d9$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 10/3/2022 1:33 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> What it says on the tin. Inspired by someone saying something easily
>> disproven on the twitter.
>
>So you are planning on an infinite series of articles inspired by
>someone saying something easily disproven on the twitter? You're going
>to have to start typing a LOT faster. :P

Not everyone who says something easily disproven on the twitter
becomes Today's Main Character, so I think James is safe -- most
twitter falsehoods are unlikely to rise to his attention.

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<thgai2$2fcgq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79863&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79863

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Fiction With Fantasy and Horror
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:50:22 +1300
 by: Titus G - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 03:50 UTC

On 4/10/22 09:33, James Nicoll wrote:
> Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy
> and Horror
>
> https://www.tor.com/2022/10/03/eight-works-that-blend-mystery-and-detective-fiction-with-fantasy-and-horror/
>
> What it says on the tin. Inspired by someone saying something easily
> disproven on the twitter.

When I read your summary for The Wolfen that included their ability to
masquerade as friendly pets, the image that came to mind was a Chihuahua
not a wolf shaped dog, but were they a recognisable breed in the book?
(I am not likely to read this book as there is enough grimdark horror in
SF for my taste in horror.)

Re: [tor dot com] Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy and Horror

<thjcpe$2u8oj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79910&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79910

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 07:46:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 07:46 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:

>Eight Works That Blend Mystery and Detective Fiction With Fantasy
>and Horror

Genevieve Cogman's Invisible Library series features mystery/thriller
books in a parallel worlds setting with various levels of magic, with
Dragons, Fae, and an alternate Sherlock Holmes character.

Some of favorites are the Glen Cook Garrett PI books, in a fantast city
inspired by his adopted hometown of St. Louis.

Brian