You're almost as happy as you think you are.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Hyperion- time debts?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Hyperion- time debts?shep pryor
+* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Wolffan
|+* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Robert Carnegie
||`* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Wolffan
|| `* Re: Hyperion- time debts?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||  `* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Jaimie Vandenbergh
||   +* Re: Hyperion- time debts?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||   |`- Re: Hyperion- time debts?Titus G
||   `* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Joe Pfeiffer
||    `- Re: Hyperion- time debts?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|+- Re: Hyperion- time debts?Default User
|`- Re: Hyperion- time debts?The Horny Goat
`* Re: Hyperion- time debts?Joe Pfeiffer
 `- Re: Hyperion- time debts?Dorothy J Heydt

1
Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<6f7eae02-a56e-4014-a0da-d263bbb792bfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79646&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79646

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:47:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Hyperion- time debts?
From: sheppry...@gmail.com (shep pryor)
 by: shep pryor - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:47 UTC

On Sunday, March 2, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, MagDeRo wrote:
> I am presently reading Hyperion and keep thinking I was start to
> understand "time debt" but so far it is not clear to me? Is a time debt
> the amount of time "lost" when traveling through space? For instance, you
> would be one year "behind" the present in your age where you landed?
> I am really confused about this. I would appreciate an explanation in
> really simple terms - I do not have a scientific background even tho I
> enjoy Sci Fi. Also, the time debts or time loss involved in space travel
> in fiction, is it based on "real science"?
> Thanks in advance for all comments.
> Maggie Della Rocca (Mag...@aol.com)

Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating the time tombs.

Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime with a five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and his wife.

So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting for you could be unknown. Months or years.

So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The time debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they will ALWAYS experience less time than the ones on the other side moving at less than light speed.

The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others in the universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't "age" as quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because events have rapidly changed by years and years prior to your arrival. Sometimes, events have changed so drastically that upon your arrival your debt coming due could be disastrous. Loved ones die and are gone, events have changed, perhaps political strife has even generated an end to the purpose of your travel in the first place.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<0001HW.28E4E5D701CFAA3B700006BB038F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79655&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79655

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:28:07 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:28 UTC

On 28 Sep 2022, shep pryor wrote
(in article<6f7eae02-a56e-4014-a0da-d263bbb792bfn@googlegroups.com>):

> On Sunday, March 2, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, MagDeRo wrote:
> > I am presently reading Hyperion and keep thinking I was start to
> > understand "time debt" but so far it is not clear to me? Is a time debt
> > the amount of time "lost" when traveling through space? For instance, you
> > would be one year "behind" the present in your age where you landed?
> > I am really confused about this. I would appreciate an explanation in
> > really simple terms - I do not have a scientific background even tho I
> > enjoy Sci Fi. Also, the time debts or time loss involved in space travel
> > in fiction, is it based on "real science"?
> > Thanks in advance for all comments.
> > Maggie Della Rocca (Mag...@aol.com)
>
> Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating the time
> tombs.
>
> Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime with a
> five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and his wife.
>
> So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few
> days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting for you
> could be unknown. Months or years.
>
> So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The time
> debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they will ALWAYS
> experience less time than the ones on the other side moving at less than
> light speed.
>
> The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others in the
> universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't "age" as
> quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because events have rapidly
> changed by years and years prior to your arrival. Sometimes, events have
> changed so drastically that upon your arrival your debt coming due could be
> disastrous. Loved ones die and are gone, events have changed, perhaps
> political strife has even generated an end to the purpose of your travel in
> the first place.

Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another necrothread.
Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years dead, and an idiot
Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the urge to get hold of a few
cruise missiles and put them through the front door at 1600 Amphitheatre
Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, difficult though it is.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<1b4jwrdyqo.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79656&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79656

From: pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:34:39 -0600
sha1:4LvV3KFNsXDp3+c0QqNmkPJqCeA=
 by: Joe Pfeiffer - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:34 UTC

shep pryor <sheppryor5@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, March 2, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, MagDeRo wrote:
>> I am presently reading Hyperion and keep thinking I was start to
>> understand "time debt" but so far it is not clear to me? Is a time debt
>> the amount of time "lost" when traveling through space? For instance, you
>> would be one year "behind" the present in your age where you landed?
>> I am really confused about this. I would appreciate an explanation in
>> really simple terms - I do not have a scientific background even tho I
>> enjoy Sci Fi. Also, the time debts or time loss involved in space travel
>> in fiction, is it based on "real science"?
>> Thanks in advance for all comments.
>> Maggie Della Rocca (Mag...@aol.com)
>

> Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating the time tombs.
>
> Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime
> with a five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and
> his wife.
>
> So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few
> days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting
> for you could be unknown. Months or years.
>
> So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The
> time debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they
> will ALWAYS experience less time than the ones on the other side
> moving at less than light speed.
>
> The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others
> in the universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't
> "age" as quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because
> events have rapidly changed by years and years prior to your arrival.
> Sometimes, events have changed so drastically that upon your arrival
> your debt coming due could be disastrous. Loved ones die and are
> gone, events have changed, perhaps political strife has even generated
> an end to the purpose of your travel in the first place.

Also, yes, time dilation (the effect that causes the "time debt") is a
real thing; it's a result of special relativity. It's most pronounced
near the speed of light, but happens with any velocity at all. A tiny
bit of time dilation has been measured experimentally.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/einsteins-time-dilation-prediction-verified/

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<rIxu70.22Hv@kithrup.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79666&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79666

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:57:00 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:57 UTC

In article <1b4jwrdyqo.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>,
Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>shep pryor <sheppryor5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sunday, March 2, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, MagDeRo wrote:
>>> I am presently reading Hyperion and keep thinking I was start to
>>> understand "time debt" but so far it is not clear to me? Is a time debt
>>> the amount of time "lost" when traveling through space? For instance, you
>>> would be one year "behind" the present in your age where you landed?
>>> I am really confused about this. I would appreciate an explanation in
>>> really simple terms - I do not have a scientific background even tho I
>>> enjoy Sci Fi. Also, the time debts or time loss involved in space travel
>>> in fiction, is it based on "real science"?
>>> Thanks in advance for all comments.
>>> Maggie Della Rocca (Mag...@aol.com)
>>

>> Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating
>the time tombs.
>>
>> Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime
>> with a five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and
>> his wife.
>>
>> So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few
>> days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting
>> for you could be unknown. Months or years.
>>
>> So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The
>> time debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they
>> will ALWAYS experience less time than the ones on the other side
>> moving at less than light speed.
>>
>> The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others
>> in the universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't
>> "age" as quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because
>> events have rapidly changed by years and years prior to your arrival.
>> Sometimes, events have changed so drastically that upon your arrival
>> your debt coming due could be disastrous. Loved ones die and are
>> gone, events have changed, perhaps political strife has even generated
>> an end to the purpose of your travel in the first place.
>
>Also, yes, time dilation (the effect that causes the "time debt") is a
>real thing; it's a result of special relativity. It's most pronounced
>near the speed of light, but happens with any velocity at all. A tiny
>bit of time dilation has been measured experimentally.
>
>https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/einsteins-time-dilation-prediction-verified/

(Hal Heydt)
It's one of the corrections that is applied to GPS signals. The
other main one is to correct for the satellites being higher up
in the Earth's gravitational well. IIRC, the two corrections
partially offset each other.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<59b92e63-373e-491c-9a12-63b21aeb83d8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79675&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79675

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:39 UTC

On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 21:28:15 UTC+1, Wolffan wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2022, shep pryor wrote
> (in article<6f7eae02-a56e-4014...@googlegroups.com>):
> > On Sunday, March 2, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, MagDeRo wrote:
> > > I am presently reading Hyperion and keep thinking I was start to
> > > understand "time debt" but so far it is not clear to me? Is a time debt
> > > the amount of time "lost" when traveling through space? For instance, you
> > > would be one year "behind" the present in your age where you landed?
> > > I am really confused about this. I would appreciate an explanation in
> > > really simple terms - I do not have a scientific background even tho I
> > > enjoy Sci Fi. Also, the time debts or time loss involved in space travel
> > > in fiction, is it based on "real science"?
> > > Thanks in advance for all comments.
> > > Maggie Della Rocca (Mag...@aol.com)
> >
> > Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating the time
> > tombs.
> >
> > Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime with a
> > five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and his wife.
> >
> > So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few
> > days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting for you
> > could be unknown. Months or years.
> >
> > So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The time
> > debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they will ALWAYS
> > experience less time than the ones on the other side moving at less than
> > light speed.
> >
> > The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others in the
> > universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't "age" as
> > quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because events have rapidly
> > changed by years and years prior to your arrival. Sometimes, events have
> > changed so drastically that upon your arrival your debt coming due could be
> > disastrous. Loved ones die and are gone, events have changed, perhaps
> > political strife has even generated an end to the purpose of your travel in
> > the first place.
> Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another necrothread.
> Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years dead, and an idiot
> Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the urge to get hold of a few
> cruise missiles and put them through the front door at 1600 Amphitheatre
> Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, difficult though it is.

But surely the post is precisely a propos the topic,
of time debt.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<0001HW.28E727BD00735D1170000F2C438F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79742&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79742

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:33:49 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:33 UTC

On 28 Sep 2022, Robert Carnegie wrote
(in article<59b92e63-373e-491c-9a12-63b21aeb83d8n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 21:28:15 UTC+1, Wolffan wrote:
> > On 28 Sep 2022, shep pryor wrote
> > (in article<6f7eae02-a56e-4014...@googlegroups.com>):
> > >
> > > Easiest explanation was when Rachel was injured while investigating the
> > > time
> > > tombs.
> > >
> > > Simmons states: The trip would take a little over ten days shiptime with a
> > > five month time debt. Those five months were agony for Sol and his wife.
> > >
> > > So if you are simply traveling at FTL speed in a starship for a few
> > > days/weeks....the relative time to the ones on the other side waiting for
> > > you
> > > could be unknown. Months or years.
> > >
> > > So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The time
> > > debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they will
> > > ALWAYS
> > > experience less time than the ones on the other side moving at less than
> > > light speed.
> > >
> > > The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others in
> > > the
> > > universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't "age" as
> > > quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because events have
> > > rapidly
> > > changed by years and years prior to your arrival. Sometimes, events have
> > > changed so drastically that upon your arrival your debt coming due could be
> > > disastrous. Loved ones die and are gone, events have changed, perhaps
> > > political strife has even generated an end to the purpose of your travel in
> > > the first place.
> > Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another necrothread.
> > Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years dead, and an idiot
> > Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the urge to get hold of a few
> > cruise missiles and put them through the front door at 1600 Amphitheatre
> > Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, difficult though it is.
>
> But surely the post is precisely a propos the topic,
> of time debt.

The major time debt is the waste of time thanks to idiot Google-Groupers
zombifing multi-decade old necrothreads.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<jpo9meF9v4sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79743&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79743

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Sep 2022 13:36:14 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:36 UTC

In article <0001HW.28E727BD00735D1170000F2C438F@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>On 28 Sep 2022, Robert Carnegie wrote
>(in article<59b92e63-373e-491c-9a12-63b21aeb83d8n@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 21:28:15 UTC+1, Wolffan wrote:
>> > On 28 Sep 2022, shep pryor wrote
>> > (in article<6f7eae02-a56e-4014...@googlegroups.com>):
>instance, you

>could be
>travel in
>> > Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another necrothread.
>> > Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years dead, and an idiot
>> > Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the urge to get hold of a few
>> > cruise missiles and put them through the front door at 1600 Amphitheatre
>> > Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, difficult though it is.
>>
>> But surely the post is precisely a propos the topic,
>> of time debt.
>
>The major time debt is the waste of time thanks to idiot Google-Groupers
>zombifing multi-decade old necrothreads.

Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.

I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<jpoluqFbqmqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79764&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79764

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Sep 2022 17:05:30 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:05 UTC

On 30 Sep 2022 at 14:36:14 BST, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan
<tednolan>> wrote:

> Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.
>
> I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.

_Hyperion_ and its sequal _Fall Of Hyperion_ (really the two halves of
one book) are great fun. Interesting worldbuilding, absorbing tales,
some awesome setpieces, looming sense of Bigger Backstory.

The followup two _Endymion_ books, not so much. Disappears off into the
weeds, don't entertain, concentrate on unpleasant things and unpleasant
people, and managed to retroactively make the _H_ books worse.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Politicians are not born, they are excreted
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<jpombnFbqnlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79766&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79766

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Sep 2022 17:12:23 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:12 UTC

In article <jpoluqFbqmqU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>On 30 Sep 2022 at 14:36:14 BST, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan
><tednolan>> wrote:
>>
>> Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.
>>
>> I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.
>
>_Hyperion_ and its sequal _Fall Of Hyperion_ (really the two halves of
>one book) are great fun. Interesting worldbuilding, absorbing tales,
>some awesome setpieces, looming sense of Bigger Backstory.
>
>The followup two _Endymion_ books, not so much. Disappears off into the
>weeds, don't entertain, concentrate on unpleasant things and unpleasant
>people, and managed to retroactively make the _H_ books worse.

I hate it when that happens, and it's happened more than a few times in SF.
Riverworld comes to mind, as will several others once I hit "send".
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<1bleq0clsx.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79790&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79790

From: pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:36:14 -0600
sha1:4KLMk1YLcH+Dvs6oYb0npxoM5nw=
 by: Joe Pfeiffer - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 02:36 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> writes:

> On 30 Sep 2022 at 14:36:14 BST, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>> wrote:
>>
>> Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.
>>
>> I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.
>
> _Hyperion_ and its sequal _Fall Of Hyperion_ (really the two halves of
> one book) are great fun. Interesting worldbuilding, absorbing tales,
> some awesome setpieces, looming sense of Bigger Backstory.
>
> The followup two _Endymion_ books, not so much. Disappears off into the
> weeds, don't entertain, concentrate on unpleasant things and unpleasant
> people, and managed to retroactively make the _H_ books worse.

I didn't find Endymion to be as good as Hyperion, but I also didn't find
them to be as bad as you're saying.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<th8vs4$1a4gl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79795&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79795

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 09:02:09 +1300
 by: Titus G - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:02 UTC

On 1/10/22 06:12, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <jpoluqFbqmqU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 30 Sep 2022 at 14:36:14 BST, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.
>>>
>>> I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.
>>
>> _Hyperion_ and its sequal _Fall Of Hyperion_ (really the two halves of
>> one book) are great fun. Interesting worldbuilding, absorbing tales,
>> some awesome setpieces, looming sense of Bigger Backstory.
>>
>> The followup two _Endymion_ books, not so much. Disappears off into the
>> weeds, don't entertain, concentrate on unpleasant things and unpleasant
>> people, and managed to retroactively make the _H_ books worse.
>>

> I hate it when that happens, and it's happened more than a few times in SF.
> Riverworld comes to mind, as will several others once I hit "send".

I was warned of the Endymion books before I read Hyperion so stopped
after Fall of Hyperion. I agree with Jamie's summary and also enjoyed
the Canterbury Tales structure. A brilliant read and recommended though
possibly more evil than your normal fare.

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<jpqsi0Fm3v5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79796&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79796

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 1 Oct 2022 13:10:25 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 13:10 UTC

On 1 Oct 2022 at 03:36:14 BST, "Joe Pfeiffer" <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu>
wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> writes:
>
>> On 30 Sep 2022 at 14:36:14 BST, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan<tednolan>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right, because there is too much on-topic content here to get through it all.
>>>
>>> I've never read _Hyperion_ so this was somewhat interesting to me.
>>
>> _Hyperion_ and its sequel _Fall Of Hyperion_ (really the two halves of
>> one book) are great fun. Interesting worldbuilding, absorbing tales,
>> some awesome setpieces, looming sense of Bigger Backstory.
>>
>> The followup two _Endymion_ books, not so much. Disappears off into the
>> weeds, don't entertain, concentrate on unpleasant things and unpleasant
>> people, and managed to retroactively make the _H_ books worse.
>
> I didn't find Endymion to be as good as Hyperion, but I also didn't find
> them to be as bad as you're saying.

I read all four in a row, which may have overemphasised the changes in
tone (and I'd argue also in quality).

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it
-- Philip K Dick

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<thirls$2st82$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79904&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79904

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:54:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:54 UTC

Wolffan wrote:

>Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another
>necrothread. Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years
>dead, and an idiot Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the
>urge to get hold of a few cruise missiles and put them through the
>front door at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043,
>difficult though it is.

He'll be back in 2047 to respond.

Brian

Re: Hyperion- time debts?

<60q6kht00nqc4gpu0i11a1i3shfnj6tuoi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80148&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80148

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 17:34:09 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 00:34 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:28:07 -0400, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
wrote:

>On 28 Sep 2022, shep pryor wrote
>(in article<6f7eae02-a56e-4014-a0da-d263bbb792bfn@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> So for Sol it was a 5 month wait but to Rachel only 10 days time. The time
>> debt is accrued by the one traveling at light speed because they will ALWAYS
>> experience less time than the ones on the other side moving at less than
>> light speed.
>>
>> The more you travel at FTL speed the less you "age" relative to others in the
>> universe. Your time debt is in your favor because you don't "age" as
>> quickly....but you also have a "debt" so to speak because events have rapidly
>> changed by years and years prior to your arrival. Sometimes, events have
>> changed so drastically that upon your arrival your debt coming due could be
>> disastrous. Loved ones die and are gone, events have changed, perhaps
>> political strife has even generated an end to the purpose of your travel in
>> the first place.
>
>Sigh. And Yet Another Google-Grouper zombifing yet another necrothread.
>Twenty Five Years Dead. The damn thing was 25 years dead, and an idiot
>Google-Grouper zombifies it. I must resist the urge to get hold of a few
>cruise missiles and put them through the front door at 1600 Amphitheatre
>Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, difficult though it is.

Last time I looked at that stuff it was to settle a bet on when my
first Usenet posting was. At that time the oldest I could verify
through Google (which from the content I'm pretty sure was NOT my
first post) was April 94 which was when my youngest (who now has a
daughter about the same age as he was then) was in diapers.