Well begun is half done. -- Aristotle

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

SubjectAuthor
* Hugo winnerspete...@gmail.com
+* Re: Hugo winnersGarrett Wollman
|`- Re: Hugo winnersDefault User
`* A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersTitus G
 +* Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersChris Buckley
 |`* Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 | `- Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersJames Nicoll
 `* Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersAndrew McDowell
  `- Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winnersChris Buckley

1
Hugo winners

<6516f0f9-3536-4c2a-89bb-524e53b22c06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78459&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78459

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hugo winners
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 16:23 UTC

Via James Nicoll on Facebook:

Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
(I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
Best Novel
A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
Best Novella
A Psalm for The Wild-Built, By Becky Chambers (Tordotcom)
Best Novelette
“Bots Of the Lost Ark”, By Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, Jun 2021)
Best Short Story
“Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather”, By Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny Magazine, Mar/Apr 2021)
Best Series
Wayward Children, By Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
Best Graphic Story or Comic
Far Sector, Written by N.K. Jemisin, Art by Jamal Campbell (Dc)
Best Related Work
Never Say You Can’t Survive, By Charlie Jane Anders (Tordotcom)
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
Dune, Screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, And Eric Roth; Directed by Denis Villeneuve; Based on The Novel Dune by Frank Herbert (Warner Bros / Legendary Entertainment)
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
The Expanse: Nemesis Games, written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, And Naren Shankar; Directed by Breck Eisner (Amazon Studios)
Best Editor, Short Form
Neil Clarke
Best Editor, Long Form
Ruoxi Chen
Best Professional Artist
Rovina Cai
Best Semiprozine
Uncanny Magazine, Publishers and Editors-In-Chief Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas; Managing/Poetry Editor Chimedum Ohaegbu; Nonfiction Editor Elsa Sjunneson; Podcast Producers Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky
Best Fanzine
Small Gods, Lee Moyer (Icon) And Seanan McGuire (Story)
Best Fancast
Our Opinions Are Correct, Presented by Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders, Produced by Veronica Simonetti
Best Fan Writer
Cora Buhlert
Best Fan Artist
Lee Moyer
Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book
The Last Graduate, By Naomi Novik (Del Rey Books)
Astounding Award for Best New Writer
Shelley Parker-Chan

Re: Hugo winners

<tf85ig$uli$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78523&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78523

From: woll...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Hugo winners
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:03:44 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:03 UTC

In article <6516f0f9-3536-4c2a-89bb-524e53b22c06n@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>Best Novelette
> “Bots Of the Lost Ark”, By Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, Jun 2021)

In five years of Hugo voting, I think this was the first time that the
work I had put at the top of my ballot actually won. I actively
*hated* most of the short list in this category.

I discovered after the fact that I had blocked Palmer on Twitter, for
reasons I have no memory of.

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: Hugo winners

<tf93sk$5807$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=78541&group=rec.arts.sf.written#78541

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 03:41:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 03:41 UTC

Garrett Wollman wrote:

>In article <6516f0f9-3536-4c2a-89bb-524e53b22c06n@googlegroups.com>,
>pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Best Novelette
>> “Bots Of the Lost Ark”, By Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld,
>>Jun 2021)
>
>In five years of Hugo voting, I think this was the first time that the
>work I had put at the top of my ballot actually won. I actively
>hated most of the short list in this category.
>
>I discovered after the fact that I had blocked Palmer on Twitter, for
>reasons I have no memory of.

I have read a number of her works, in particular the "Finder" series.

Brian

A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<thj1s6$2td1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79906&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79906

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:40:33 +1300
 by: Titus G - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 04:40 UTC

On 6/09/22 04:23, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> Via James Nicoll on Facebook:
>
> Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
> (I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
> Best Novel
> A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
snip

What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an advancement
of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has won the Hugo
as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a political and
psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels or series
instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
Memory Called Empire which must be read first.

Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<jqio91Fdng5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80175&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80175

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners
Date: 10 Oct 2022 14:24:33 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:24 UTC

On 2022-10-05, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> On 6/09/22 04:23, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Via James Nicoll on Facebook:
>>
>> Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
>> (I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
>> Best Novel
>> A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
> snip
>
> What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an advancement
> of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has won the Hugo
> as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a political and
> psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
> first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels or series
> instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
> Memory Called Empire which must be read first.

I agree with pretty much everything you say. In this case, however, I
really don't know what book was better this year. There were several
other good books, but no book, including this one, was outstanding, IMO.

I would say though, again IMO, that _Speaker for the Dead_ was a sequel
that deserved its Hugo. I can't think of any other winning sequel that
I consider outstanding.

Chris

Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<jqipf1Fe5scU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80178&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80178

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 10 Oct 2022 14:44:50 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:44 UTC

In article <jqio91Fdng5U2@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2022-10-05, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/09/22 04:23, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Via James Nicoll on Facebook:
>>>
>>> Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
>>> (I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
>>> Best Novel
>>> A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
>> snip
>>
>> What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an advancement
>> of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has won the Hugo
>> as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a political and
>> psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
>> first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels or series
>> instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
>> Memory Called Empire which must be read first.
>
>I agree with pretty much everything you say. In this case, however, I
>really don't know what book was better this year. There were several
>other good books, but no book, including this one, was outstanding, IMO.
>
>I would say though, again IMO, that _Speaker for the Dead_ was a sequel
>that deserved its Hugo. I can't think of any other winning sequel that
>I consider outstanding.
>
>Chris

Hmm. Is _Ringworld_ a sequel to "Neutron Star"?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<ti1cl9$m3t$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80181&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80181

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:10:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:10 UTC

In article <jqipf1Fe5scU1@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <jqio91Fdng5U2@mid.individual.net>,
>Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:

>>> snip
>>>
>>> What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an
>advancement
>>> of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has
>won the Hugo
>>> as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a
>political and
>>> psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
>>> first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels
>or series
>>> instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
>>> Memory Called Empire which must be read first.
>>
>>I agree with pretty much everything you say. In this case, however, I
>>really don't know what book was better this year. There were several
>>other good books, but no book, including this one, was outstanding, IMO.
>>
>>I would say though, again IMO, that _Speaker for the Dead_ was a sequel
>>that deserved its Hugo. I can't think of any other winning sequel that
>>I consider outstanding.
>>
>>Chris
>
>Hmm. Is _Ringworld_ a sequel to "Neutron Star"?

However, it could be seen as a sequel to "There is a Tide." Or
possibly, Protector.

Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<9fd0554a-e2fe-4c95-837c-06b13e223d35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80198&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80198

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:28 UTC

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 5:40:42 AM UTC+1, Titus G wrote:
> On 6/09/22 04:23, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Via James Nicoll on Facebook:
> >
> > Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
> > (I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
> > Best Novel
> > A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
> snip
>
> What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an advancement
> of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has won the Hugo
> as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a political and
> psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
> first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels or series
> instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
> Memory Called Empire which must be read first.
I think that sequels should at least be treated on their own merits as standalone books. So much good Science Fiction arrives as series books in the author's invented world that it seems silly to penalise subsequent books. These suggestions also follow from my view that the most prominent awards should function as show-cases for the genre.

Re: A Desolation Called Peace. Was: Hugo winners

<jqj7caFfj1oU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80209&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80209

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 10 Oct 2022 18:42:18 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:42 UTC

On 2022-10-10, Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 5:40:42 AM UTC+1, Titus G wrote:
>> On 6/09/22 04:23, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Via James Nicoll on Facebook:
>> >
>> > Congratulations to the 2022 Hugo Winners!
>> > (I had to go to bed before the ceremony: early/long day today)
>> > Best Novel
>> > A Desolation Called Peace, By Arkady Martine (Tor)
>> snip
>>
>> What an enjoyable read! But the good bits were not really an advancement
>> of those in A Memory Called Empire so I am surprised it has won the Hugo
>> as it is really a sequel and, like the original, more of a political and
>> psychological intrigue with a little action and adventure involving
>> first contact with an alien race. I find it silly that sequels or series
>> instalments can win the best novel and in this instance preferred A
>> Memory Called Empire which must be read first.
> I think that sequels should at least be treated on their own merits as standalone books. So much good Science Fiction arrives as series books in the author's invented world that it seems silly to penalise subsequent books. These suggestions also follow from my view that the most prominent awards should function as show-cases for the genre.

It would be nice if that were the case. In reality, awards like the
Hugo are understandably strongly affected by what percentage of the
voting population has read it. Few have read all reasonable
nominees. The vote totals for sequels and later series books are
influenced by positively and negatively by the earlier books.

Chris