Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in. -- Evan Davis

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseLynn McGuire
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseLynn McGuire
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseScott Lurndal
|+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseLynn McGuire
||`- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseWolffan
|`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseThe Horny Goat
| `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseQuadibloc
|+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of anCharles Packer
||`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseQuadibloc
|| `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypsePaul S Person
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseRobert Carnegie
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseMichael F. Stemper
|`* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseRobert Woodward
|  +- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseMartin
|  `- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseThe Horny Goat
`- Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an ApocalypseDefault User

1
[tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<tgv71v$6qd$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79553&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79553

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:06:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:06 UTC

Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/

What it says on the tin.

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<tgvktb$4njr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79574&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79574

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:02:49 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:02 UTC

On 9/27/2022 11:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>
> What it says on the tin.

I've read "The Martian Chronicles". It was OK.

I would advocate a number of book here, mostly EMP books such as:
1. "Going Home"
https://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Novel-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181277/
2. "One Second After"
https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/
3. "Lights Out"
https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/
4. "Under a Graveyard Sky (1) (Black Tide Rising)"
https://www.amazon.com/Under-Graveyard-Black-Tide-Rising/dp/147673660X/
5. "Dies The Fire"
https://www.amazon.com/Dies-Fire-S-M-Stirling/dp/0451460413/
6. "Live Free or Die"
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Free-Die-Troy-Rising/dp/1439133972/
7. "Lucifer's Hammer"
https://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Hammer-Novel-Larry-Niven/dp/0449208133/

I've got a lot more if needful.

Lynn

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<TwJYK.522671$iiS8.315870@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79582&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79582

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:01:39 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:01 UTC

>On 9/27/2022 11:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
>> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>>
>> What it says on the tin.

_Farnhams Freehold_
_Alas Babylon_
_A Canticle for Leibowitz_
_Invaders from Rigel_

Peri-apocolypse:
_Day of the Giants_
_Thrice upon a Time_

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<tgvrr1$5bec$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79585&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79585

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:01:05 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:01 UTC

On 9/27/2022 4:01 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> On 9/27/2022 11:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
>>> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>>>
>>> What it says on the tin.
>>

> _Farnhams Freehold_
> _Alas Babylon_
> _A Canticle for Leibowitz_
> _Invaders from Rigel_
>
> Peri-apocolypse:
> _Day of the Giants_
> _Thrice upon a Time_

I have read "Farnhams Freehold", "Alas Babylon", and "A Canticle for
Leibowitz", all very good books. I have not read "Invaders from Rigel",
"Day of The Giants", and "Thrice Upon A Time".

I should have added the awesome "Footfall" to my previous suggestions.
https://www.amazon.com/Footfall-Larry-Niven/dp/0345323440/

Lynn

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<0001HW.28E3B0C701873A0370000681B38F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79587&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79587

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:29:27 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:29 UTC

On 27 Sep 2022, Lynn McGuire wrote
(in article <tgvrr1$5bec$1@dont-email.me>):

> > _Farnhams Freehold_
> > _Alas Babylon_
> > _A Canticle for Leibowitz_
> > _Invaders from Rigel_
> >
> > Peri-apocolypse:
> > _Day of the Giants_
> > _Thrice upon a Time_
>
> I have read "Farnhams Freehold", "Alas Babylon", and "A Canticle for
> Leibowitz", all very good books. I have not read "Invaders from Rigel",
> "Day of The Giants", and "Thrice Upon A Time".

Trice Upon a Time is one of the better James P. Hogan books, from before he
went off the rails and sank into creationism, Velikovskyian catastrophism,
and conspiracy-ridden madness. The story revolves around several major
catastrophies; Our Heroes get out of them by sending one-way messages back in
time, and essentially resetting the universe. In each catastrophy, that
version of Our Heroes die, but because they got the word back (“Yo!
You’re about to accidentally create a black hole which will devour the
Earth! Don’t do that!”) the newly created version of the universe goes
on... until the next crisis. As they got out of the first crisis by sending a
message back in time, they do it again. Note: HM’s Royal Space Force plays
a major part. Well, two major parts.

> I should have added the awesome "Footfall" to my previous suggestions.
> https://www.amazon.com/Footfall-Larry-Niven/dp/0345323440/
>
> Lynn

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<db735bf6-585e-4a5c-a83c-20753898eecdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79597&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79597

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 03:36 UTC

Post-apocalyptic SF, of course, has been a common genre from the beginning.

After all, it has clear dramatic possibililties: it places people in a desperate
situation where courage and effort are required for survival.

But right now, I'm in the mood for stories taht are more useful; stories that will
tell us how we can _avoid_ an apocalypse.

At the moment, it looks like, within ten years from now, we will be living in a
world where:

- Russia has crushed Ukraine;
- Taiwan, South Korea, and Israel no longer exist in their current form;
- Russia has also taken control of Finland and the East European countries,
and quite possibly _all_ of continental Europe.

Not exactly post-apocalyptic, but a rather depressing place to live. And trying
to *do* anything about the situation would likely cause an apocalypse... which
is why it was allowed to happen in the first place.

At least the United States will likely have enough refugees from ASML that
they will still have the best microchips in the world!

And because this all happened gradually, the U.S. might even still have a space
program...

*** 200 years later ***

Finally, the L5 colonies created by the United States in the twilight of Earth have
grown and multiplied along with their human inhabitants to the point that they can
use their technology to rescue the people of Earth.

The objective is to liberate every conquered nation, and return every ethnic group
to the land it rightfully owned in epoch 1900.0. To fill the Earth from pole to pole
with free nations grateful to their liberator, the bastion of freedom that is the
United States of America.

But will that be easy or difficult? Will there be anyone left to liberate? Will enough
be left of the nations it is intended to reconstruct for it to be possible?

What if by now what is left of Russia and China aren't evil, but have become the
hope for humanity's progress - being pretty much all that's left? After all, the
disaster was the fault of their leaders, not their people. Giving America back to
the Indians was a by-word for impractical idealism at one point.

Well, a lot of those questions would be answered once they even take a look at
the situation on Earth. If tyranny means technical stagnation, a la Ayn Rand's
book "Anthem", whatever is the case, the Spacers ought to be able to remold
Earth closer to the heart's desire, to put it back on the right path, although so
much had been lost.

Or there could be good news. America could have survived and eventually
prevailed. Or bad news; the planet could be too radioactive even to simply
resettle, as would have been the option if there was no one left to rescue.

John Savard

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<6%SYK.697787$BKL8.500610@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79601&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79601

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an
Apocalypse
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:48:18 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:48 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:36:19 -0700, Quadibloc wrote:

> Post-apocalyptic SF, of course, has been a common genre from the
> beginning.
>
> After all, it has clear dramatic possibililties: it places people in a
> desperate situation where courage and effort are required for survival.
>
> But right now, I'm in the mood for stories taht are more useful; stories
> that will tell us how we can _avoid_ an apocalypse.
>
> At the moment, it looks like, within ten years from now, we will be
> living in a world where:
>
> - Russia has crushed Ukraine;
> - Taiwan, South Korea, and Israel no longer exist in their current form;
> - Russia has also taken control of Finland and the East European
> countries,
> and quite possibly _all_ of continental Europe.

This is equivalent to shallow depth of field in photography.
How much history does one have to know to realize that when
H.G. Wells, in 1917, speculated that the world was headed toward
universal republicanism and peace, he was right? It's just been
a question of when France would allow it to happen on anything
other than its own terms, haha. But...the president of France will
come to meet the president of the U.S. -- in the U.S. -- in
December. The venues of diplomatic meetings matter...

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<th1hvh$c98f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79607&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79607

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:24:56 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:24 UTC

On 27/09/2022 11.06, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/

My favorite in the post-apocalyptic sub-genre has to be Pat Frank's
1959 _Alas, Babylon_.

This tells the story of a small town ("Fort Repose") in central Florida in
the aftermath of a nuclear war that takes place at the end of 1959. All of the
larger cities (Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville) have been destroyed, as well as
installations such as MacDill AFB. The folks of Fort Repose are on their own,
cut off from the rest of the state not only by the devastation but by the
meager amount of fuel available.

It is largely episodic in nature, with one problem resolved before the next
one arises. It does have ongoing plot threads, such as the relationships
between the protagonist, Randy Bragg, and his sister-in-law, Helen, his
love interest, Lib, and his ex-love interest, Rita.

Despite what's implied by the back cover blurb, there are no "Mad Max" tropes
in this one. In fact, it's a homey, comfortable story.

<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?9086>
--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<29c2db97-5c3a-4947-bfb2-312ae6665551n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79612&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79612

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:00 UTC

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:48:23 AM UTC-6, Charles Packer wrote:

> How much history does one have to know to realize that when
> H.G. Wells, in 1917, speculated that the world was headed toward
> universal republicanism and peace, he was right?

It still hasn't got there. I mean, there was still China with its nuclear
weapons even immediately after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Certainly, the world wasn't going in a monotonic direction towards
universal peace in 1917; I remember the dates 1933 and 1939 from
history quite well, thank you.

John Savard

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<th2150$dkem$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79641&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79641

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:43:58 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:43 UTC

On 9/27/2022 3:02 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 9/27/2022 11:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
>> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>>
>> What it says on the tin.
>
> I've read "The Martian Chronicles".  It was OK.
>
> I would advocate a number of book here, mostly EMP books such as:
> 1. "Going Home"
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Novel-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181277/
> 2. "One Second After"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/
> 3. "Lights Out"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/
> 4. "Under a Graveyard Sky (1) (Black Tide Rising)"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Graveyard-Black-Tide-Rising/dp/147673660X/
> 5. "Dies The Fire"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Dies-Fire-S-M-Stirling/dp/0451460413/
> 6. "Live Free or Die"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Free-Die-Troy-Rising/dp/1439133972/
> 7. "Lucifer's Hammer"
>    https://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Hammer-Novel-Larry-Niven/dp/0449208133/
>
> I've got a lot more if needful.
>
> Lynn

I forgot "Emergence":
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553255193/

Lynn

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<2eb7e50f-204e-4757-9b22-21f0ce64137fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79671&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79671

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:50 UTC

On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 04:36:21 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
> Post-apocalyptic SF, of course, has been a common genre from the beginning.
>
> After all, it has clear dramatic possibililties: it places people in a desperate
> situation where courage and effort are required for survival.
>
> But right now, I'm in the mood for stories taht are more useful; stories that will
> tell us how we can _avoid_ an apocalypse.
>
> At the moment, it looks like, within ten years from now, we will be living in a
> world where:
>
> - Russia has crushed Ukraine;
> - Taiwan, South Korea, and Israel no longer exist in their current form;
> - Russia has also taken control of Finland and the East European countries,
> and quite possibly _all_ of continental Europe.
>
> Not exactly post-apocalyptic, but a rather depressing place to live. And trying
> to *do* anything about the situation would likely cause an apocalypse... which
> is why it was allowed to happen in the first place.
>
> At least the United States will likely have enough refugees from ASML that
> they will still have the best microchips in the world!
>
> And because this all happened gradually, the U.S. might even still have a space
> program...
>
> *** 200 years later ***
>
> Finally, the L5 colonies created by the United States in the twilight of Earth have
> grown and multiplied along with their human inhabitants to the point that they can
> use their technology to

declare war on

> the people of Earth.

Though it's more likely that the groundies will
have forgotten what the Little Stars really are.

But that doesn't mean there won't be war.

Rule 34 (this one - from Star Trek):
<https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition>

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<bpibjhhhjhsukq00ln996lr9c8p1neibi3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79709&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79709

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:45:28 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:45 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 09:00:26 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:48:23 AM UTC-6, Charles Packer wrote:
>
>> How much history does one have to know to realize that when
>> H.G. Wells, in 1917, speculated that the world was headed toward
>> universal republicanism and peace, he was right?
>
>It still hasn't got there. I mean, there was still China with its nuclear
>weapons even immediately after the fall of the Soviet Union.
>
>Certainly, the world wasn't going in a monotonic direction towards
>universal peace in 1917; I remember the dates 1933 and 1939 from
>history quite well, thank you.

That attitude may have been part of the liberal/modernist mind-set
that everything was getting better and better.

Toynbee, BTW, in one of his books dates the /end/ of the Modern Era to
the start of WWI. So much for "better and better".

But in Wells' case, it could just be his Socialist optimism.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<thir9v$2ss78$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79903&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79903

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:48:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:48 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:

>Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

By the end of Adventure Time, quite a few humans were discovered.

Brian

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<kmd6khlc2seh6jptiq67l7c55ij7itqspq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80137&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80137

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:06:08 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 21:06 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:01:39 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>>On 9/27/2022 11:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
>>> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>>>
>>> What it says on the tin.
>>

>_Farnhams Freehold_
>_Alas Babylon_
>_A Canticle for Leibowitz_
>_Invaders from Rigel_
>
>Peri-apocolypse:
>_Day of the Giants_
>_Thrice upon a Time_

Not really science fiction but we can't forget On The Beach or In High
Places (that was the one where in the aftermath of 'the big one'
Canada took most of what was left of the United States as a
protectorate) and then there's Steve Stirlings The Emberverse cycle
(or has that already been named?)

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<71e6kh9614g6smomvkje8dirdftrnjlubj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80138&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80138

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:09:49 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 21:09 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:24:56 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
<michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 27/09/2022 11.06, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
>> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/
>
>My favorite in the post-apocalyptic sub-genre has to be Pat Frank's
>1959 _Alas, Babylon_.
>
>This tells the story of a small town ("Fort Repose") in central Florida in
>the aftermath of a nuclear war that takes place at the end of 1959. All of the
>larger cities (Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville) have been destroyed, as well as
>installations such as MacDill AFB. The folks of Fort Repose are on their own,
>cut off from the rest of the state not only by the devastation but by the
>meager amount of fuel available.
>
>It is largely episodic in nature, with one problem resolved before the next
>one arises. It does have ongoing plot threads, such as the relationships
>between the protagonist, Randy Bragg, and his sister-in-law, Helen, his
>love interest, Lib, and his ex-love interest, Rita.
>
>Despite what's implied by the back cover blurb, there are no "Mad Max" tropes
>in this one. In fact, it's a homey, comfortable story.
>
><https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?9086>

The saddest part of that book is the woman who dies due to her
irradiated gold ring. Can't remember if it was her wedding ring or one
she found when scavenging.

I agree it's an excellent book and my copy is currently on the back of
one of my bookshelves (which I now have two rows of books on each
shelf)

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<thvslg$n3m$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80154&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80154

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:31 UTC

In article <kmd6khlc2seh6jptiq67l7c55ij7itqspq@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:01:39 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>wrote:

>https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apocalypse/

>>_Farnhams Freehold_
>>_Alas Babylon_
>>_A Canticle for Leibowitz_
>>_Invaders from Rigel_
>>
>>Peri-apocolypse:
>>_Day of the Giants_
>>_Thrice upon a Time_
>
>Not really science fiction but we can't forget On The Beach or In High
>Places (that was the one where in the aftermath of 'the big one'
>Canada took most of what was left of the United States as a
>protectorate) and then there's Steve Stirlings The Emberverse cycle
>(or has that already been named?)

In In High Places, the US and Canada form a union, in exchange
for which Canada gets Alaska. Are you thinking of Dean Ing's
Systemic Shock, in which Canada takes the northern third of the
US as a protectorate?

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<robertaw-997D4B.21555609102022@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80159&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80159

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 21:55:56 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 04:55 UTC

In article <71e6kh9614g6smomvkje8dirdftrnjlubj@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:24:56 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
> <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On 27/09/2022 11.06, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse
> >> https://www.tor.com/2022/09/27/five-sff-works-about-the-aftermath-of-an-apo
> >> calypse/
> >
> >My favorite in the post-apocalyptic sub-genre has to be Pat Frank's
> >1959 _Alas, Babylon_.
> >
> >This tells the story of a small town ("Fort Repose") in central Florida in
> >the aftermath of a nuclear war that takes place at the end of 1959. All of
> >the
> >larger cities (Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville) have been destroyed, as well as
> >installations such as MacDill AFB. The folks of Fort Repose are on their
> >own,
> >cut off from the rest of the state not only by the devastation but by the
> >meager amount of fuel available.
> >
> >It is largely episodic in nature, with one problem resolved before the next
> >one arises. It does have ongoing plot threads, such as the relationships
> >between the protagonist, Randy Bragg, and his sister-in-law, Helen, his
> >love interest, Lib, and his ex-love interest, Rita.
> >
> >Despite what's implied by the back cover blurb, there are no "Mad Max"
> >tropes
> >in this one. In fact, it's a homey, comfortable story.
> >
> ><https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?9086>
>
> The saddest part of that book is the woman who dies due to her
> irradiated gold ring. Can't remember if it was her wedding ring or one
> she found when scavenging.

I will admit that I haven't read it in decades, but I think she was
scavenging (besides how would her wedding ring get irradiated without
her getting a fatal radiation dose?).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<214448aa-ef3e-44bc-a898-def2c96c5496n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80179&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80179

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 07:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: moore...@gmail.com (Martin)
 by: Martin - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:48 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 12:56:02 AM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <71e6kh9614g6smomv...@4ax.com>,
> The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:24:56 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
> > <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >My favorite in the post-apocalyptic sub-genre has to be Pat Frank's
> > >1959 _Alas, Babylon_.
> > >
> > >This tells the story of a small town ("Fort Repose") in central Florida in
> > >the aftermath of a nuclear war that takes place at the end of 1959. All of
> > >the
> > >larger cities (Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville) have been destroyed, as well as
> > >installations such as MacDill AFB. The folks of Fort Repose are on their
> > >own,
> > >cut off from the rest of the state not only by the devastation but by the
> > >meager amount of fuel available.
> > >
> > >It is largely episodic in nature, with one problem resolved before the next
> > >one arises. It does have ongoing plot threads, such as the relationships
> > >between the protagonist, Randy Bragg, and his sister-in-law, Helen, his
> > >love interest, Lib, and his ex-love interest, Rita.
> > >
> > >Despite what's implied by the back cover blurb, there are no "Mad Max"
> > >tropes
> > >in this one. In fact, it's a homey, comfortable story.
> > >
> > ><https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?9086>
> >
> > The saddest part of that book is the woman who dies due to her
> > irradiated gold ring. Can't remember if it was her wedding ring or one
> > she found when scavenging.
> I will admit that I haven't read it in decades, but I think she was
> scavenging (besides how would her wedding ring get irradiated without
> her getting a fatal radiation dose?).
>
> --
> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.
> Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

I re-read the book not that long ago, and this is correct. It was a scavenged ring.

Re: [tor dot com] Five SFF Works About the Aftermath of an Apocalypse

<531akhlgbb2v7v4b71lpecq9hb8akdjk10@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80240&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80240

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:52:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 05:52 UTC

On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 21:55:56 -0700, Robert Woodward
<robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>> The saddest part of that book is the woman who dies due to her
>> irradiated gold ring. Can't remember if it was her wedding ring or one
>> she found when scavenging.
>
>I will admit that I haven't read it in decades, but I think she was
>scavenging (besides how would her wedding ring get irradiated without
>her getting a fatal radiation dose?).

You may well be right - it's probably been 20 years since I've read it
as well.