La-dee-dee, la-dee-dah.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

SubjectAuthor
* "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykJoe Pfeiffer
 +- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykMartin
 +* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 |+- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire
 |`- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardDavid Johnston
 +- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire
 `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykScott Lurndal
  `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire
   `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardMike Van Pelt
    +* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire
    |+- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardMike Van Pelt
    |`- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykThe Horny Goat
    `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykpyotr filipivich
     `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire
      `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykpyotr filipivich
       `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykThe Horny Goat
        `- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by RichardLynn McGuire

1
"Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th269g$6h2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79650&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79650

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:11:41 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:11 UTC

"Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/

The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by Heinlein.
I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback published by
Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981. I bought this
copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I do not remember
reading back then.

The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours. Many
things are much more advanced yet the population of Earth is
significantly reduced due to constant wars and diseases. People can
travel to the Moon and the stars using the beanstalks but travel locally
using horses and carriages. Plus ballistic travel between the
continents from place to place in 30 minutes is common. Anti-gravity
devices are used but incredibly expensive. And the USA has been broken
up into several nation states along with Canada and others. And there
are several colonies in other star systems using huge FTL space ships,
much like the old ocean liners that carried both humans and cargo.

Friday Jones Baldwin is the biological daughter of the two secret agents
who died at the end of "Gulf" on Luna preventing the immolation of
Earth, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Greene. Of course, Friday's genes were
significantly enhanced for intelligence, strength, speed, and disease
resistance. And plus some genes from Kettle Belly "Two Canes" Baldwin,
her adopted father and her boss. Due to to the common saying, "her
mother was a test tube, her father was a sharp knife", Friday is an
artificial person with almost no rights and not a human. But nobody
knows that Friday is an artificial person as Kettle Belly adopted her
and created birth records for her. Unless, she tells her secret.

Friday is a combat ready courier and secret agent. Her enhanced speed,
strength, and training make her a formidable courier for moving valuable
materials in the dangerous world that Heinlein has built. She can kill
without remorse and loves freely, way too freely. In fact, Heinlein
brought his concept of group marriages to "Friday" that he wrote about
in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". He even destroys a group marriage to
show how easily they can break up also.

As always, Heinlein dedicated this book to his friends and this book is
dedicated to thirty-one strong ladies, including Roberta Pournelle,
Judy-Lynn Del Rey, Ginny (his wife), Marilyn Niven, Joan De Vinge,
Catherine Sprague de Camp, etc.
https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/dedications.html

Warning, both "Gulf" and "Friday" have very detailed torture scenes in
them. The descriptions are quite breathtaking.

The Heinlein apologist, Hugo and Nebula award winning author Jo Walton
says this about "Friday" in a 2009 review, "The worst book I love:
Robert Heinlein’s Friday". She complains that there is no plot but to
me, the best plot is just life.
https://www.tor.com/2009/06/14/the-worst-book-i-love-robert-heinleins-friday/

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (1,044 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<1bzgejcjx4.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79658&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79658

From: pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:40:07 -0600
sha1:kzh2KN0DjhC8oxMXEBEXEP4OYa4=
 by: Joe Pfeiffer - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:40 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>
> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
> do not remember reading back then.
>
> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.

Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<6da29c2f-1613-4058-b988-bf239a4c516bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79659&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79659

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: moore...@gmail.com (Martin)
 by: Martin - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:47 UTC

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 4:40:14 PM UTC-4, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
> > https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
> >
> > The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
> > Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
> > published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
> > I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
> > do not remember reading back then.
> >
> > The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
> Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
> have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.

That's understandable. It's a bit of a misnomer to call it a two-book series. "Gulf" is a novella that was included in the collection Assignment in Eternity, not a separate book.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<jpjqi9Fje5lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79661&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79661

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 28 Sep 2022 20:53:29 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:53 UTC

In article <1bzgejcjx4.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>,
Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>
>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>> do not remember reading back then.
>>
>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>
>Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
>have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.

I'm surprised it was never re-issued back-in-the-day as
"The pulse pounding pre-quell to the New York Times bestseller!"
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th2ck9$elnt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79663&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79663

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:59:51 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:59 UTC

On 9/28/2022 3:40 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>
>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>> do not remember reading back then.
>>
>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>
> Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
> have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.

"Gulf" is the first novella in the book "Assignment to Eternity", first
published in 1953. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I reviewed it
here on Sept 22, 2022.
https://www.amazon.com/Assignment-Eternity-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0671653504/

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<iB2ZK.114889$6gz7.10742@fx37.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79664&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79664

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:59:58 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:59 UTC

Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>
>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>> do not remember reading back then.
>>
>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>
>Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
>have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.

Calling the short story _Gulf_ and the novel _Friday_ a series is
a bit of a stretch, I think.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th2cn9$elnt$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79665&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79665

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:01:26 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:01 UTC

On 9/28/2022 3:53 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <1bzgejcjx4.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>,
> Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>>
>>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>>> do not remember reading back then.
>>>
>>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>>
>> Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
>> have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.
>
> I'm surprised it was never re-issued back-in-the-day as
> "The pulse pounding pre-quell to the New York Times bestseller!"

Baen released "Assignment in Eternity" in 1987.

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th2d05$elnt$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79667&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79667

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:06:11 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:06 UTC

On 9/28/2022 3:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>>
>>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>>> do not remember reading back then.
>>>
>>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>>
>> Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
>> have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.
>
> Calling the short story _Gulf_ and the novel _Friday_ a series is
> a bit of a stretch, I think.

I call "Gulf" a novella. It is not a short story. But it is definitely
a prequel and therefore a series.

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th3cd4$1q8b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=79695&group=rec.arts.sf.written#79695

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:02:12 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 06:02 UTC

On 2022-09-28 2:53 p.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <1bzgejcjx4.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>,
> Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>>
>>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by
>>> Heinlein. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>>> published by Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.
>>> I bought this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I
>>> do not remember reading back then.
>>>
>>> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.
>>
>> Wow -- I'm embarrassed to say I bought "Friday" when it came out, but
>> have no recollection of ever hearing of "Gulf" until now.
>
> I'm surprised it was never re-issued back-in-the-day as
> "The pulse pounding pre-quell to the New York Times bestseller!"

Too short. Also not particularly good.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<th269g$6h2$11bzgejcjx4@mikevanpelt.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80316&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80316

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:03:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:03 UTC

In article <th2d05$elnt$3@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 9/28/2022 3:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Calling the short story _Gulf_ and the novel _Friday_ a series is
>> a bit of a stretch, I think.
>
>I call "Gulf" a novella. It is not a short story. But it is definitely
>a prequel and therefore a series.

I always felt there was a major disconnect between the Kettle-Belly
Baldwin of "Gulf", and the same character in "Friday". I couldn't
fathom that the first could have left his affairs in such disarray.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that Baldwin had made arrangements,
but several unexpected events upended them. But Baldwin was
sort of the master of dealing with unexpected events.

I need to go back and re-read both stories together.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ti5387$17brn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80321&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80321

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:54:31 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 00:54 UTC

On 10/11/2022 6:03 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <th2d05$elnt$3@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/28/2022 3:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>> Calling the short story _Gulf_ and the novel _Friday_ a series is
>>> a bit of a stretch, I think.
>>
>> I call "Gulf" a novella. It is not a short story. But it is definitely
>> a prequel and therefore a series.
>
> I always felt there was a major disconnect between the Kettle-Belly
> Baldwin of "Gulf", and the same character in "Friday". I couldn't
> fathom that the first could have left his affairs in such disarray.
>
> Someone elsewhere pointed out that Baldwin had made arrangements,
> but several unexpected events upended them. But Baldwin was
> sort of the master of dealing with unexpected events.
>
> I need to go back and re-read both stories together.

I get the feeling that there is almost a hundred years between the two
stories. People change. And old people forget to do things.

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<20221011233111451938552@mikevanpelt.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80336&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80336

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:31:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:31 UTC

In article <ti5387$17brn$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/11/2022 6:03 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
>> I always felt there was a major disconnect between the Kettle-Belly
>> Baldwin of "Gulf", and the same character in "Friday". I couldn't
>> fathom that the first could have left his affairs in such disarray.
>
>I get the feeling that there is almost a hundred years between the two
>stories. People change. And old people forget to do things.

That could be, too. He was very old in "Friday".

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ojmdkh1rl9ee6bjt386g8rktq608vqha9r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80380&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80380

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:24:18 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:24 UTC

Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> on Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:03:52
-0000 (UTC) typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>In article <th2d05$elnt$3@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 9/28/2022 3:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>> Calling the short story _Gulf_ and the novel _Friday_ a series is
>>> a bit of a stretch, I think.
>>
>>I call "Gulf" a novella. It is not a short story. But it is definitely
>>a prequel and therefore a series.
>
>I always felt there was a major disconnect between the Kettle-Belly
>Baldwin of "Gulf", and the same character in "Friday". I couldn't
>fathom that the first could have left his affairs in such disarray.
>
>Someone elsewhere pointed out that Baldwin had made arrangements,
>but several unexpected events upended them. But Baldwin was
>sort of the master of dealing with unexpected events.

But in this case, Kettle Belly was not there to deal with them.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ti6p9a$5e4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80384&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80384

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:16:40 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:16 UTC

On 10/12/2022 10:24 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> on Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:03:52
> -0000 (UTC) typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>> In article <th2d05$elnt$3@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I call "Gulf" a novella. It is not a short story. But it is definitely
>>> a prequel and therefore a series.
>>
>> I always felt there was a major disconnect between the Kettle-Belly
>> Baldwin of "Gulf", and the same character in "Friday". I couldn't
>> fathom that the first could have left his affairs in such disarray.
>>
>> Someone elsewhere pointed out that Baldwin had made arrangements,
>> but several unexpected events upended them. But Baldwin was
>> sort of the master of dealing with unexpected events.
>
> But in this case, Kettle Belly was not there to deal with them.

Yup, dying is almost always unexpected. You always think that you have
another week to fix things up.

When my father-in-law passed in Sept 2020 (during the height of the
Koof), we did not expect it even though we had put him in a nursing
home for 6.5 years and he was turning 88 soon. My sister-in-law spent
the whole day with him after we took him back to the nursing home from a
week long hospital stay. He passed 30 minutes after she left. She was
really upset so I told her that he was waiting for her to leave so she
would not see him pass away.

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<3fvekhpi74uv6sqedr92bdc74fcel9pbsf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80451&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80451

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:56:07 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 02:56 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> on Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:16:40
-0500 typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:

>> But in this case, Kettle Belly was not there to deal with them.
>
>Yup, dying is almost always unexpected. You always think that you have
>another week to fix things up.
>
>When my father-in-law passed in Sept 2020 (during the height of the
>Koof), we did not expect it even though we had put him in a nursing
>home for 6.5 years and he was turning 88 soon. My sister-in-law spent
>the whole day with him after we took him back to the nursing home from a
>week long hospital stay. He passed 30 minutes after she left. She was
>really upset so I told her that he was waiting for her to leave so she
>would not see him pass away.

I was debating whether to say or drive home for classes. Chess
told me that Mom had said when she was told I'd arrived "Oh dear, I
can't die while Peters here." Okay, that settled that.

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<0afjkhhfd8ao3odp6lpv95f89mvolptflc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80506&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80506

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:51:00 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 19:51 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:54:31 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Someone elsewhere pointed out that Baldwin had made arrangements,
>> but several unexpected events upended them. But Baldwin was
>> sort of the master of dealing with unexpected events.
>>
>> I need to go back and re-read both stories together.
>
>I get the feeling that there is almost a hundred years between the two
>stories. People change. And old people forget to do things.

As my 35 year old daughter is constantly telling me.

For instance back in late April we had a new furnace put in - and the
gas company has an $800 rebate program based on the efficiency of the
new furnace.

Guess who just this morning got around to applying for it one week
before the deadline?!?

(To be fair - this was more procrastination than forgetting)

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<vdfjkh1c7df3vtthscenph2n6d1s0bjibd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80507&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80507

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:59:44 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 19:59 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:56:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> on Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:16:40
>-0500 typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>>
>>> But in this case, Kettle Belly was not there to deal with them.
>>
>>Yup, dying is almost always unexpected. You always think that you have
>>another week to fix things up.
>>
>>When my father-in-law passed in Sept 2020 (during the height of the
>>Koof), we did not expect it even though we had put him in a nursing
>>home for 6.5 years and he was turning 88 soon. My sister-in-law spent
>>the whole day with him after we took him back to the nursing home from a
>>week long hospital stay. He passed 30 minutes after she left. She was
>>really upset so I told her that he was waiting for her to leave so she
>>would not see him pass away.
>
> I was debating whether to say or drive home for classes. Chess
>told me that Mom had said when she was told I'd arrived "Oh dear, I
>can't die while Peters here." Okay, that settled that.

My wife passed in March - she was completely unvaccinated and while
the coroner's report hasn't arrived yet (they did say 6 months was
common) my GP has told me that her symptoms were entirely cardiac
related but that COVID could have weakened her resistances. Based only
on my summation of her symptoms the night of her death he said that
her death was almost certainly NOT directly due to COVID. (And in the
process scared the heck out of my children since while I myself do not
have a history of heart issues in my family my wife definitely
did/does)

I told the GP that my wife's web browser search history showed at
least 10 searches to sites dealing with cardiac issues in the 3 weeks
before her death and that I had been urging her to make a checkup
appointment and while I understood there were things I could ask and
couldn't ask him asked whether she had booked a checkup or appointment
of any kind and he said no.

On the other hand, I have a friend I've known since childhood (50+
years ago in my case) who in 2021 lost her 80+ year old mother to
COVID. On her last visit she could see her mother was dying before her
eyes (through the glass) and after pulling the emergency cord to
summon help said "to hell with it" and held her mother while she lay
dying knowing darned well she herself would have to go through a 2
week quarantine but also knowing she had only one mother and didn't
want her dying alone.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ttmatn$3ofhb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85735&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85735

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:48:39 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 01:48 UTC

On 10/14/2022 2:59 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:56:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich
> <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> on Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:16:40
>> -0500 typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:

>>> Yup, dying is almost always unexpected. You always think that you have
>>> another week to fix things up.
>>>
>>> When my father-in-law passed in Sept 2020 (during the height of the
>>> Koof), we did not expect it even though we had put him in a nursing
>>> home for 6.5 years and he was turning 88 soon. My sister-in-law spent
>>> the whole day with him after we took him back to the nursing home from a
>>> week long hospital stay. He passed 30 minutes after she left. She was
>>> really upset so I told her that he was waiting for her to leave so she
>>> would not see him pass away.
>>
>> I was debating whether to say or drive home for classes. Chess
>> told me that Mom had said when she was told I'd arrived "Oh dear, I
>> can't die while Peters here." Okay, that settled that.
>
> My wife passed in March - she was completely unvaccinated and while
> the coroner's report hasn't arrived yet (they did say 6 months was
> common) my GP has told me that her symptoms were entirely cardiac
> related but that COVID could have weakened her resistances. Based only
> on my summation of her symptoms the night of her death he said that
> her death was almost certainly NOT directly due to COVID. (And in the
> process scared the heck out of my children since while I myself do not
> have a history of heart issues in my family my wife definitely
> did/does)
>
> I told the GP that my wife's web browser search history showed at
> least 10 searches to sites dealing with cardiac issues in the 3 weeks
> before her death and that I had been urging her to make a checkup
> appointment and while I understood there were things I could ask and
> couldn't ask him asked whether she had booked a checkup or appointment
> of any kind and he said no.
>
> On the other hand, I have a friend I've known since childhood (50+
> years ago in my case) who in 2021 lost her 80+ year old mother to
> COVID. On her last visit she could see her mother was dying before her
> eyes (through the glass) and after pulling the emergency cord to
> summon help said "to hell with it" and held her mother while she lay
> dying knowing darned well she herself would have to go through a 2
> week quarantine but also knowing she had only one mother and didn't
> want her dying alone.

The 30 year report on Covid will be interesting as we should have a
fairly complete understanding of Covid by then, hopefully. I asked my
eye doctor about getting Lasik back in 2005 when I was 45. He advised
waiting for the 30 year report as I had and have several eye problems,
not the least of which is imbalanced nearsightedness. I am glad that I
did not get it as the starburst problem came out after that for those of
us with large corneas (14 mm for me) and the laser is only 12 mm.

That is, interesting to those of us still around in 2050. In 2050, I
will be 90 should I live that long. Highly doubtful as I am a guy (rare
for us to live that long) and had my first heart attack at age 49 in 2009.

Lynn