It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their dignity.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

SubjectAuthor
* "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsDavid Johnston
+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsPaul S Person
|`- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsDimensional Traveler
+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsQuadibloc
|+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsQuadibloc
||`* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsKevrob
|| `- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollarsted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsHamish Laws
||`- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsMike Van Pelt
|+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsPaul S Person
||+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsHamish Laws
|||+- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsDimensional Traveler
|||`* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsPaul S Person
||| `- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsKevrob
||`- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsKevrob
|+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsDavid Johnston
||`- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsRobert Carnegie
|+* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsRoss Presser
||`* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsHamish Laws
|| `- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsPaul S Person
|`- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
`* Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsNils Hammer
 `- Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million DollarsDimensional Traveler

1
"Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tj1k76$1cvq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80842&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80842

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 14:35:50 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 20:35 UTC

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-woke-superhero-movie-rebels-run-blown-up-in-dollar1-million-con?ref=home

Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
global police force that hunts right wing racists. Since no legitimate
source for funding would touch the project, he invested the donations
with a self-described crypto-millionaire and shockingly the investment
vanished into the aether. Who could have seen that coming?

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<o0palhhvrfh64dqbqv3tqrr8n5vp46t6ng@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80888&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80888

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:59:24 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:59 UTC

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 14:35:50 -0600, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-woke-superhero-movie-rebels-run-blown-up-in-dollar1-million-con?ref=home
>
>Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
>featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
>global police force that hunts right wing racists. Since no legitimate
>source for funding would touch the project, he invested the donations
>with a self-described crypto-millionaire and shockingly the investment
>vanished into the aether. Who could have seen that coming?

Hey, at least the scammer is under indictment.

Too bad he couldn't get funded. The film would have had a built-in
audience. And, no, I would not have seen it.

But think about that audience: what would you rather have them doing?
Watching this movie or trying to overturn the gummint?
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tj3s48$1b0k6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80893&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80893

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:03:05 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:03 UTC

On 10/23/2022 8:59 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 14:35:50 -0600, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-woke-superhero-movie-rebels-run-blown-up-in-dollar1-million-con?ref=home
>>
>> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
>> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
>> global police force that hunts right wing racists. Since no legitimate
>> source for funding would touch the project, he invested the donations
>> with a self-described crypto-millionaire and shockingly the investment
>> vanished into the aether. Who could have seen that coming?
>
> Hey, at least the scammer is under indictment.
>
> Too bad he couldn't get funded. The film would have had a built-in
> audience. And, no, I would not have seen it.
>
> But think about that audience: what would you rather have them doing?
> Watching this movie or trying to overturn the gummint?

Somehow I think there are more than two options there....

dirty old man.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<92d89e0a-cc15-4441-b4ed-d8e457d2208en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80931&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80931

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 01:05 UTC

On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:

> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> global police force that hunts right wing racists.

Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
have been a success.

Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
continue watching.

Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?

John Savard

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<e3632700-cbfd-4f3e-8209-34869082e2c4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80933&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80933

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:10:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 01:10 UTC

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 7:06:01 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
>
> > Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> > featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> > global police force that hunts right wing racists.
> Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> have been a success.
>
> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
> continue watching.
>
> Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?

Also, this reminds me of an episode of the TV series _The Beverly
Hillbillies_ where a Civil War movie is being shot on lands adjoining
the Clampett's mansion, and Granny thinks the actor playing Robert
E. Lee is the _real_ Robert E. Lee. She also thinks that the South
_won_ the Civil War, *and* (presumably so that they could keep her
as a sympathetic character) that it was the South that fought to
abolish slavery.

The Dukes of Hazzard and this similar project that failed... remind
me of that.

John Savard

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<b636cd8e-cf30-4b33-bb17-45e848ed59cfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80952&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80952

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 21:58:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 04:58 UTC

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 9:10:26 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 7:06:01 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
> >
> > > Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> > > featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> > > global police force that hunts right wing racists.
> > Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> > think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> > have been a success.
> >
> > Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> > vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> > as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> > whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> > as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
> > continue watching.
> >
> > Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
> Also, this reminds me of an episode of the TV series _The Beverly
> Hillbillies_ where a Civil War movie is being shot on lands adjoining
> the Clampett's mansion, and Granny thinks the actor playing Robert
> E. Lee is the _real_ Robert E. Lee. She also thinks that the South
> _won_ the Civil War, *and* (presumably so that they could keep her
> as a sympathetic character) that it was the South that fought to
> abolish slavery.
>
> The Dukes of Hazzard and this similar project that failed... remind
> me of that.
>
> John Savard

How about Will Shetterly's "Captain Confederacy," and
"Miss Dixie?" (With artist Vince Stone.)

https://www.comics.org/issue/245103/

A Superhero/alternate history comic.

http://crapboxofcthulhu.blogspot.com/2018/11/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

--
Kevin R

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<jrndv1FrqtrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80962&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80962

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Oct 2022 12:15:29 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:15 UTC

In article <b636cd8e-cf30-4b33-bb17-45e848ed59cfn@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 9:10:26 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

>> > Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
>> > think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
>> > have been a success.
>> >
>> > Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
>> > vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
>> > as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>> > whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this
>was intended
>> > as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
>> > continue watching.
>> >
>> > Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
>> Also, this reminds me of an episode of the TV series _The Beverly
>> Hillbillies_ where a Civil War movie is being shot on lands adjoining
>> the Clampett's mansion, and Granny thinks the actor playing Robert
>> E. Lee is the _real_ Robert E. Lee. She also thinks that the South
>> _won_ the Civil War, *and* (presumably so that they could keep her
>> as a sympathetic character) that it was the South that fought to
>> abolish slavery.
>>
>> The Dukes of Hazzard and this similar project that failed... remind
>> me of that.
>>
>> John Savard
>
>How about Will Shetterly's "Captain Confederacy," and
>"Miss Dixie?" (With artist Vince Stone.)
>
>https://www.comics.org/issue/245103/
>
>A Superhero/alternate history comic.

This was a pretty good comic. Unfortunately I think it went down in
the great B&W comic flameout. It was by no means a celebration of
racism.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<ca2e55f1-037f-46a4-b798-90ae7a96156dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80965&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80965

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 06:49:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:49 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 12:06:01 PM UTC+11, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
>
> > Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> > featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> > global police force that hunts right wing racists.
> Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> have been a success.

The Dukes of Hazzard wasn't particularly pro-confederate.
Yeah, the General Lee had a confederate flag as well as the name but

> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
> continue watching.
>
> Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?

There was no way that the firefly crew was at all confederate like.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<13edlhh2jul6vn9749bspt5kfq0ig9b896@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80969&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80969

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 09:12:50 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:12 UTC

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
>
>> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
>> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
>> global police force that hunts right wing racists.
>
>Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
>think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
>have been a success.
>
>Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
>vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
>as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
>as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
>continue watching.
>
>Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?

I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).

But by then they were defeated former rebels, eking out an existence
in a ship about as far from any of the Enterprise variants as it could
get.

And I got no "Confederacy" vibe from them. Possibly because they
/were/ the good guys, as it turned out.

Thats the 2005 film,
[https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0], BTW.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tj6em1$199u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80974&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80974

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 10:32:00 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:32 UTC

On 2022-10-23 7:05 p.m., Quadibloc wrote:
> On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
>
>> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
>> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
>> global police force that hunts right wing racists.
>
> Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> have been a success.
>
> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy.

It was intended as the old west IN SPACE! But instead of the south
rebelling it was the frontier that rebelled against the core worlds,
some of whom had slavery.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<a810c848-999c-44a8-b9e0-146e653cc465n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80983&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80983

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: rpres...@gmail.com (Ross Presser)
 by: Ross Presser - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:01 UTC

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 9:06:01 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got
> the vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were
> cast as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was
> intended as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged
> me not to continue watching.
>
> Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered
> imagination?
>
> John Savard

It's far from a unique idea. See this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Firefly+confederacy&oq=Firefly+confederacy

Including the bald statement, on numerous sites, that "the Pulitzer
Prize-winning novel The Killer Angels from author Michael Shaara was
Joss Whedon’s inspiration for creating Firefly." Including this site:
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/56022/23-fun-facts-about-firefly

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<e78955db-fe31-4e21-89ac-8398f7be0589n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81004&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81004

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 04:38:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:38 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 6:02:00 AM UTC+11, Ross Presser wrote:
> On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 9:06:01 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got
> > the vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were
> > cast as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> > whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was
> > intended as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged
> > me not to continue watching.
> >
> > Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered
> > imagination?
> >
> > John Savard
> It's far from a unique idea. See this Google search:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Firefly+confederacy&oq=Firefly+confederacy
>
> Including the bald statement, on numerous sites, that "the Pulitzer
> Prize-winning novel The Killer Angels from author Michael Shaara was
> Joss Whedon’s inspiration for creating Firefly." Including this site:
> https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/56022/23-fun-facts-about-firefly

I haven't read The Killer Angels but the plot synopsis on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Angels has almost no resemblance to Firefly

So it may have inspired the idea "a tv show about outcasts including people from the losing side of a war" but there's not much evidence of overlap between the browncoats and the confederacy

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<0674fa78-bc21-49bd-9d38-560e5be1cf70n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81005&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81005

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 04:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:43 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 3:12:57 AM UTC+11, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
> >
> >> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> >> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> >> global police force that hunts right wing racists.
> >
> >Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> >think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> >have been a success.
> >
> >Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> >vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> >as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> >whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> >as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
> >continue watching.
> >
> >Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
> I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).
>
> But by then they were defeated former rebels, eking out an existence
> in a ship about as far from any of the Enterprise variants as it could
> get.

The tv series was set after the war was over as well, there was an episode that did include some flashbacks to the war

> And I got no "Confederacy" vibe from them. Possibly because they
> /were/ the good guys, as it turned out.

In comparison, most of them were willing to do some pretty dodgy stuff

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tj8vpn$222sc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81010&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81010

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:36:24 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:36 UTC

On 10/25/2022 4:43 AM, Hamish Laws wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 3:12:57 AM UTC+11, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
>> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>>> Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
>>> think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
>>> have been a success.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
>>> vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
>>> as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>>> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
>>> as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
>>> continue watching.
>>>
>>> Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
>> I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).
>>
>> But by then they were defeated former rebels, eking out an existence
>> in a ship about as far from any of the Enterprise variants as it could
>> get.
>
> The tv series was set after the war was over as well, there was an episode that did include some flashbacks to the war
>>
>> And I got no "Confederacy" vibe from them. Possibly because they
>> /were/ the good guys, as it turned out.
>
> In comparison, most of them were willing to do some pretty dodgy stuff

But they had hearts of gold.

From when they robbed that train full of jewelry. :)

dirty old man.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<XnsAF3B5A1424334taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81011&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81011

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:51:18 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:51 UTC

Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

>that this was intended as a veiled celebration of
> the Confederacy.

That says far more bout whoever claimed that than it does about the
show. And more about you.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<jb4glhl83psl5g221nbs4h22s6ktamr5e6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81018&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81018

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:41:13 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:41 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 04:43:39 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 3:12:57 AM UTC+11, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
>> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>> >Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
>> >think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
>> >have been a success.
>> >
>> >Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
>> >vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
>> >as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>> >whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
>> >as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
>> >continue watching.
>> >
>> >Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
>> I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).
>>
>> But by then they were defeated former rebels, eking out an existence
>> in a ship about as far from any of the Enterprise variants as it could
>> get.
>
>The tv series was set after the war was over as well, there was an episode that did include some flashbacks to the war
>>
>> And I got no "Confederacy" vibe from them. Possibly because they
>> /were/ the good guys, as it turned out.
>
>In comparison, most of them were willing to do some pretty dodgy stuff

One of the sequences in the film has them robbing a bank to fulfill a
contract.

So, yes, dodgy stuff. But they still turn out to be heroes.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<he4glh5rm79cgf0ojia3d7ron7g3mv8808@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81019&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81019

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:44:56 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:44 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 04:38:26 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 6:02:00 AM UTC+11, Ross Presser wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 9:06:01 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>>
>> > Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got
>> > the vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were
>> > cast as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>> > whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was
>> > intended as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged
>> > me not to continue watching.
>> >
>> > Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered
>> > imagination?
>> >
>> > John Savard
>> It's far from a unique idea. See this Google search:
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=Firefly+confederacy&oq=Firefly+confederacy
>>
>> Including the bald statement, on numerous sites, that "the Pulitzer
>> Prize-winning novel The Killer Angels from author Michael Shaara was
>> Joss Whedon’s inspiration for creating Firefly." Including this site:
>> https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/56022/23-fun-facts-about-firefly
>
>I haven't read The Killer Angels but the plot synopsis on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Angels has almost no resemblance to Firefly

I started to read but only got one chapter in before I walked off and
accidentally forgot it. When I went back to find it, it was gone.

Normally, I would have bought another copy and kept reading. But, in
this case, I just moved on to the next book.

So it has the "honor" of being one of the very few books I started but
did not finish.

IIRC, I found the style it was written in to be ... excruciatingly
boring.

>So it may have inspired the idea "a tv show about outcasts including people from the losing side of a war" but there's not much evidence of overlap between the browncoats and the confederacy

With that as the criterion there are, surely, quite a few novels that
could be claimed to have inspired /Firefly/.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<4902119d-34cf-4fee-8783-233b37e2bf46n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81032&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 14:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:33 UTC

On Monday, 24 October 2022 at 17:32:07 UTC+1, David Johnston wrote:
> On 2022-10-23 7:05 p.m., Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:35:54 PM UTC-6, David Johnston wrote:
> >
> >> Theodore Beale was collecting donations to make a superhero movie
> >> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier fighting a
> >> global police force that hunts right wing racists.
> >
> > Given how successful "The Dukes of Hazzard" was, one would almost
> > think that, if it hadn't been for how the world had moved on, this might
> > have been a success.
> >
> > Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
> > vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
> > as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
> > whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
> > as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy.
> It was intended as the old west IN SPACE! But instead of the south
> rebelling it was the frontier that rebelled against the core worlds,
> some of whom had slavery.

Of course "The Old West" features a lot of
Civil War veterans.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<07cc86d9-6f3b-456d-8b15-e85ed83f539fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81035&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81035

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:35:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: sledgeme...@gmail.com (Nils Hammer)
 by: Nils Hammer - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 23:35 UTC

> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier
What? No photo link?

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tja1dl$2903q$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81036&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81036

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:10:15 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 01:10 UTC

On 10/25/2022 4:35 PM, Nils Hammer wrote:

>> featuring a protagonist in a Confederate themed bustier
> What? No photo link?

Did you fail to notice that the gender of the protagonist is not
mentioned...?

dirty old man.

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<f93ab798-229a-45a9-b824-05bb6dddf3b0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81203&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81203

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 03:31 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 12:41:20 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 04:43:39 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
> <hamis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 3:12:57 AM UTC+11, Paul S Person wrote:

> >> I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).
> >>
> >> But by then they were defeated former rebels, eking out an existence
> >> in a ship about as far from any of the Enterprise variants as it could
> >> get.
> >
> >The tv series was set after the war was over as well, there was an episode that did include some flashbacks to the war
> >>
> >> And I got no "Confederacy" vibe from them. Possibly because they
> >> /were/ the good guys, as it turned out.
> >
> >In comparison, most of them were willing to do some pretty dodgy stuff
> One of the sequences in the film has them robbing a bank to fulfill a
> contract.
>
> So, yes, dodgy stuff. But they still turn out to be heroes.
> --

Big Damn Heroes, if you please.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnHeroes

--
Kevin R

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<35b20b92-d745-43c1-bdcf-d91d47af26edn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81204&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81204

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 03:37 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 12:12:57 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
[snip]

> I never saw the TV series; I did see the movie (/Serenity/).

Hulu has it for streaming. Tubi TV has it with ads.
Amazon will rent it to you and sells it.

This may vary by region.

--
Kevin R

Re: "Vox Day" Pisses Away a Million Dollars

<tk202n$1j9tn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81392&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81392

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:14:31 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: mike@Mike-Laptop.localdomain (Mike-Laptop)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:14 UTC

In article <ca2e55f1-037f-46a4-b798-90ae7a96156dn@googlegroups.com>,
Hamish Laws <hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 12:06:01 PM UTC+11, Quadibloc wrote:
>> Incidentally, when taking a glance at the TV series "Firefly", I got the
>> vibe that as the protagonists, even though racially diverse, were cast
>> as rebels, and the show's narration claimed that it was ambiguous
>> whether they, or their foes, had right on their side... that this was intended
>> as a veiled celebration of the Confederacy. This encouraged me not to
>> continue watching.
>>
>> Is this at least partly the case, or is it just my fevered imagination?
>
>There was no way that the firefly crew was at all confederate like.

There was a bit of a reversal here: The "Union" had the
institution of slavery, and still had them at the time of
the series. The "Rebels" did not.

The institution of slavery in the series was not along racial
lines; it was more like the ancient world's version of it,
I think I recall.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane