To keep your friends treat them kindly; to kill them, treat them often.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Luthien Seagull

SubjectAuthor
* Luthien SeagullDavid Dalton
`* Re: Luthien SeagullDimensional Traveler
 `* Re: Luthien SeagullAndrew McDowell
  `* Re: Luthien SeagullDimensional Traveler
   +* Re: Luthien SeagullDorothy J Heydt
   |+- Re: Luthien SeagullDimensional Traveler
   |`* Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person
   | +* Re: Luthien SeagullDorothy J Heydt
   | |+* Re: Luthien SeagullQuadibloc
   | ||`- Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person
   | |`* Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person
   | | `* Re: Luthien SeagullDorothy J Heydt
   | |  `* Re: Luthien SeagullJaimie Vandenbergh
   | |   `- Re: Luthien SeagullTony Nance
   | `- Re: Luthien SeagullQuadibloc
   +- Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person
   `* Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person
    `* Re: Luthien SeagullDimensional Traveler
     `- Re: Luthien SeagullPaul S Person

1
Re: Luthien Seagull

<8c0600e6-7bbf-4c60-bf89-40f99057019en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76856&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76856

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Luthien Seagull
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:30 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 5:06:50 PM UTC+1, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 7/15/2022 10:42 PM, David Dalton wrote:
> > Some may be interested in my Luthien Seagull experience
> > which I describe on https://www.nfld.com//~dalton/luthien.html .
> >
> > Is there any plan to make a movie about Beren and Luthien?
> >
> Not currently. The focus of the estate currently appears to be on the
> Amazon Prime TV series coming out in September.
>
> --
> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
> dirty old man.
If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<tav9c2$3feb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76865&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76865

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:08:18 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 21:08 UTC

On 7/16/2022 9:30 AM, Andrew McDowell wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 5:06:50 PM UTC+1, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 7/15/2022 10:42 PM, David Dalton wrote:
>>> Some may be interested in my Luthien Seagull experience
>>> which I describe on https://www.nfld.com//~dalton/luthien.html .
>>>
>>> Is there any plan to make a movie about Beren and Luthien?
>>>
>> Not currently. The focus of the estate currently appears to be on the
>> Amazon Prime TV series coming out in September.
>>
>> --
>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>> dirty old man.
> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.

The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.

dirty old man.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<rF4vzp.1yMw@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76873&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76873

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:04:37 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:04 UTC

In article <tav9c2$3feb0$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 7/16/2022 9:30 AM, Andrew McDowell wrote:

>>> Not currently. The focus of the estate currently appears to be on the
>>> Amazon Prime TV series coming out in September.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>>> dirty old man.
>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything
>about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a
>suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying
>motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition
>and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and
>stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would
>be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was
>interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does
>not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or
>Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful
>dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>
>The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.

(Hal Heydt)
I read something about that series. Either the reviewer got it
wrong, or those making it did, but when I got to "Numenor was a
realm of Elves" I concluded that I wouldn't touch it with a
10-foot Pole (or even an 8-foot Armenian).

Re: Luthien Seagull

<tavm9d$3gfu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76879&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76879

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:48:47 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 00:48 UTC

On 7/16/2022 3:04 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <tav9c2$3feb0$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything
>> about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a
>> suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying
>> motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition
>> and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and
>> stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would
>> be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was
>> interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does
>> not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or
>> Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful
>> dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>>
>> The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>> Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>> Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>> look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>> Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>> Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>> actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.
>
> (Hal Heydt)
> I read something about that series. Either the reviewer got it
> wrong, or those making it did, but when I got to "Numenor was a
> realm of Elves" I concluded that I wouldn't touch it with a
> 10-foot Pole (or even an 8-foot Armenian).

One hopes it was the reviewer. *facepalm*

dirty old man.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<pad8dh1ifcat4uhtbsu5sjolqki7ermvdo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76897&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76897

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 09:15:16 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:15 UTC

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:08:18 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 7/16/2022 9:30 AM, Andrew McDowell wrote:

>>> Not currently. The focus of the estate currently appears to be on the
>>> Amazon Prime TV series coming out in September.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>>> dirty old man.
>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>
>The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.

That was very interesting.

Every so often, a scene would appear that looked ... very ...
familiar.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Luthien Seagull

<cdd8dht73p6mv5hcuvff49gfu2ovpjfuf0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76898&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76898

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 09:18:01 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:18 UTC

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:04:37 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <tav9c2$3feb0$1@dont-email.me>,
>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything
>>about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a
>>suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying
>>motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition
>>and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and
>>stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would
>>be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was
>>interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does
>>not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or
>>Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful
>>dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>>
>>The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>>Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>>Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>>(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>>look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>>Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>>Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>>actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>I read something about that series. Either the reviewer got it
>wrong, or those making it did, but when I got to "Numenor was a
>realm of Elves" I concluded that I wouldn't touch it with a
>10-foot Pole (or even an 8-foot Armenian).

One of the not-so-special features on the Widescreen Standard Edition
of /The Two Towers/ revealed that, so far as PJ and friends are
concerned, the people occupying Rohan are "the Rohans".

The long tradition continues ...
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Luthien Seagull

<mid8dh951mqnv416d0el4eho7a5v9v7m3h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76900&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76900

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 09:21:25 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:21 UTC

<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 7/16/2022 9:30 AM, Andrew McDowell wrote:

>>> Not currently. The focus of the estate currently appears to be on the
>>> Amazon Prime TV series coming out in September.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>>> dirty old man.
>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>
>The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.

I forgot to add this:

I /especially/ liked the scene where the subtitles [1] said "there was
no sunrise" while showing what clearly /was/ a sunrise.

Still, at least none of the painted backgrounds (if any of them /were/
painted, none were obviously so) had visible seams in them, as the
SciFi version of /Dune/ did.

[1] I have the sound turned off for my browser and sometimes a player
responds by showing subtitles.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Luthien Seagull

<rF6Itr.C7C@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76931&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76931

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:15:27 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:15 UTC

In article <cdd8dht73p6mv5hcuvff49gfu2ovpjfuf0@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>One of the not-so-special features on the Widescreen Standard Edition
>of /The Two Towers/ revealed that, so far as PJ and friends are
>concerned, the people occupying Rohan are "the Rohans".
>
>The long tradition continues ...

(Hal Heydt)
After the first LotR movie, Dorothy swore not only never to
another one, but to never see anything made by PJ. And she
didn't.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<tb1t8h$3s2rn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76934&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76934

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 14:00:01 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 21:00 UTC

On 7/17/2022 9:21 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:08:18 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> If you have seen any of the Amazon stuff, can you report anything about the way they are using the rights they have bought? I saw a suggestion about the newer Star Wars stuff that the underlying motivation of the studio was essentially to cash in on name recognition and publicity to launch a new generation of Intellectual Property and stars, while transitioning to plots and themes that they thought would be more commercially successful in today's culture. I thought this was interesting as an explanation of what happened to Star Wars that does not involve the long march through the institutions, post-modernism, or Chinese sales. In the case of Tolkien, it predicts that a faithful dramatisation of the story of Beren and Luthien is unlikely.
>>
>> The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>> Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>> Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>> look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>> Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>> Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>> actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.
>
> I forgot to add this:
>
> I /especially/ liked the scene where the subtitles [1] said "there was
> no sunrise" while showing what clearly /was/ a sunrise.

If that is the scene I think it was, it wasn't a sunrise. It was
someone walking a hill to see the Two Trees that were the source of
light before Morgoth had them poisoned and the Valar (IIRC) created the
Sun and Moon. That was the scene I was referring to when I said "early
First Age".

dirty old man.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<f7c21401-b90b-4a56-a09d-0b353b302667n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76961&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76961

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:45 UTC

On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 10:18:05 AM UTC-6, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:04:37 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Hal
> Heydt) wrote:

> >I concluded that I wouldn't touch it with a
> >10-foot Pole (or even an 8-foot Armenian).

> One of the not-so-special features on the Widescreen Standard Edition
> of /The Two Towers/ revealed that, so far as PJ and friends are
> concerned, the people occupying Rohan are "the Rohans".

It could have been worse. He could have called them "the Rohanians".

While that might have been *technically* correct, under current circumstances
it could evoke thoughts of someone named Kim... who is tall, instead of short.

John Savard

Re: Luthien Seagull

<715ca78a-915c-4244-abe3-3312101c404en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76962&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76962

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:47 UTC

On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-6, Hal Heydt wrote:

> After the first LotR movie, Dorothy swore not only never to
> another one, but to never see anything made by PJ. And she
> didn't.

The *second* LotR movie was bad enough I didn't bother with the
third. But the first seemed to only make changes to the source
material which had a legitimate cinematic rationale.

John Savard

Re: Luthien Seagull

<gf4bdhpgd58djsnc9rh0tpugtl5eninllm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76974&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76974

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:01:42 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:01 UTC

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:15:27 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <cdd8dht73p6mv5hcuvff49gfu2ovpjfuf0@4ax.com>,
>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>One of the not-so-special features on the Widescreen Standard Edition
>>of /The Two Towers/ revealed that, so far as PJ and friends are
>>concerned, the people occupying Rohan are "the Rohans".
>>
>>The long tradition continues ...
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>After the first LotR movie, Dorothy swore not only never to
>another one, but to never see anything made by PJ. And she
>didn't.

Lucky her.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Luthien Seagull

<6g4bdh183utu4jk4bs7mslr37oh92389m0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76975&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76975

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:08:29 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:08 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:47:44 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-6, Hal Heydt wrote:
>
>> After the first LotR movie, Dorothy swore not only never to
>> another one, but to never see anything made by PJ. And she
>> didn't.
>
>The *second* LotR movie was bad enough I didn't bother with the
>third. But the first seemed to only make changes to the source
>material which had a legitimate cinematic rationale.

The third was better than the second, which isn't a hard criterion to
meet, but dragged on and on and on at the end. The /best/ thing about
it that it /did/ end. And then PJ made /The Hobbit/ into 3 films ...

As to the first: it is the best of the three, but, no, many changes
were clearly unnecessary. Still, it /did/ at least tell a coherent
story. Had it been an hour shorter, it would have made a good fantasy
adventure movie.

All in all, my conclusion was: PJ's trilogy /does/ establish that six
3-hour films would be enough to actually /film/ the book properly.
Provided, of course, that the filmmakers actually /wanted/ to do it
properly.

To be fair, PJ /did/ manage to realize Middle Earth visually very well
indeed.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Luthien Seagull

<5u4bdhpocndd6gp1bhh4f83qrgmubfcm45@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76976&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76976

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:11:46 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:11 UTC

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 14:00:01 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 7/17/2022 9:21 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:08:18 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> The initial PR for the LoTR series "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of
>>> Power" was that it was to be set in the Second Age with a focus on
>>> Numenor. The main teaser that came out a few days ago
>>> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk) though shows scenes that
>>> look like they are from early First Age before Morgoth came to
>>> Middle-Earth with some elves in pursuit thru possibly the early Third
>>> Age (hobbits migrating west to Bree and The Shire?). So when it
>>> actually going to be set is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell.
>>
>> I forgot to add this:
>>
>> I /especially/ liked the scene where the subtitles [1] said "there was
>> no sunrise" while showing what clearly /was/ a sunrise.
>>
>If that is the scene I think it was, it wasn't a sunrise. It was
>someone walking a hill to see the Two Trees that were the source of
>light before Morgoth had them poisoned and the Valar (IIRC) created the
>Sun and Moon. That was the scene I was referring to when I said "early
>First Age".

If you say so.

A similar argument was generated over a scence in the first /FoTR/
trailer. The scene in question /did not make it into the film/, so I
have /no/ idea who was right. I'm not even sure I remember was the
issue was.

If that scene actually makes it into the series, then we shall see
what we shall see.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Luthien Seagull

<rF8BG9.EI2@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76983&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76983

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:31:21 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:31 UTC

In article <gf4bdhpgd58djsnc9rh0tpugtl5eninllm@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:15:27 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>Heydt) wrote:
>
>>In article <cdd8dht73p6mv5hcuvff49gfu2ovpjfuf0@4ax.com>,
>>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>>One of the not-so-special features on the Widescreen Standard Edition
>>>of /The Two Towers/ revealed that, so far as PJ and friends are
>>>concerned, the people occupying Rohan are "the Rohans".
>>>
>>>The long tradition continues ...
>>
>>(Hal Heydt)
>>After the first LotR movie, Dorothy swore not only never to
>>another one, but to never see anything made by PJ. And she
>>didn't.
>
>Lucky her.

(Hal Heydt)
For some values of "luck". Not--generally speaking--seeing very
many movies probably made it a lot easier, though.

I'm sure that Dorothy was far to polite in what she posted to
give her full opinion of PJs version of LotR, and of PJ's
directing abilities as a result.

Re: Luthien Seagull

<jjlt8tF6se3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76988&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76988

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 18 Jul 2022 20:14:21 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 20:14 UTC

On 18 Jul 2022 at 19:31:21 BST, "Dorothy J Heydt" <Dorothy J Heydt>
wrote:

> I'm sure that Dorothy was far to polite in what she posted to
> give her full opinion of PJs version of LotR, and of PJ's
> directing abilities as a result.

Ah, well. Polite. She was scathing and incisive about the changes made.
And then very frosty whenever the films were mentioned for the
intervening two decades.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Politicians are not born, they are excreted
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Re: Luthien Seagull

<588d8b98-e3c8-479b-9fb3-18ca9f15b873n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76990&group=rec.arts.sf.written#76990

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 20:17 UTC

On Monday, July 18, 2022 at 4:14:26 PM UTC-4, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2022 at 19:31:21 BST, "Dorothy J Heydt" <Dorothy J Heydt>
> wrote:
> > I'm sure that Dorothy was far to polite in what she posted to
> > give her full opinion of PJs version of LotR, and of PJ's
> > directing abilities as a result.
>
> Ah, well. Polite. She was scathing and incisive about the changes made.
> And then very frosty whenever the films were mentioned for the
> intervening two decades.

Heh. "may his bones burn green", at least once and probably several times.
- Tony

Luthien Seagull

<dalton.nfld-C5F606.03124916072022@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80903&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80903

From: dalton.n...@gmail.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,alt.religion.tolkienology,rec.ats.books.tolkien,alt.fantasy,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Luthien Seagull
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 03:12:49 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 05:42 UTC

Some may be interested in my Luthien Seagull experience
which I describe on https://www.nfld.com//~dalton/luthien.html .

Is there any plan to make a movie about Beren and Luthien?

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
�Mary walks down to the water�s edge and there she hangs Her head to

Re: Luthien Seagull

<taunml$3dn7l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80904&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80904

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,alt.religion.tolkienology,rec.ats.books.tolkien,alt.fantasy,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:06:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:06 UTC