There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead. -- Lord Thomas Rober Dewar

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven

SubjectAuthor
* Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Nivena425couple
`* Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry NivenTitus G
 `* Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry NivenTitus G
  `- Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry NivenRobert Carnegie

1
Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven

<wrF5L.471238$SAT4.298918@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=80997&group=rec.arts.sf.written#80997

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:44:28 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 23:44 UTC

Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven.
(which is also the title of the collection.)
Interesting, has similarities to Robert Heinlein's
"The Year of the Jackpot", which has a Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Year_of_the_Jackpot

see more about this story at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconstant_Moon

"Inconstant Moon"
First appearance: 1971 short story collection All the Myriad Ways. The
short story won the 1972 Hugo Award for best short story.

or
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1255867.Inconstant_Moon

Eric asks, "what would you do if you realized that the world
would shortly end due to a cosmic catastrophe? The scenario is
possible, so stock up on wine and duck liver, however that's
spelled...when the world ends, all spelling errors cease
to matter!"

Caitlin Ball on November 5, 2021 said, "I remember watching
an episode of the Outer Limits crafted after this story,
it was one of my favorites and after reading the book it's
easy to see why."

Norman said,
"Originally published in All the Myriad Ways, June 1971."

purchase info at
https://www.amazon.com/Inconstant-Moon-Larry-Niven/dp/0722163835

other possible sources

Science Fiction Friday: Inconstant Moon by Larry Niven
May 22, 2015 — This story begins in San Diego, California late one night
when Stan notices that the moon is alarmingly bright, big, and getting
bigger. Its ...

Inconstant Moon - Literawiki - Fandom
"Inconstant Moon" is a science fiction short story by the American
author Larry Niven. It first appeared in a 1971 short-story collection,
All the Myriad ...

Inconstant Moon by Larry Niven - AbeBooks
Inconstant Moon by Niven, Larry and a great selection of related books,
art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.com.

Madness from the Inconstant Moon by Larry Niven
https://www.fantasticfiction.com › Larry Niven
This collection of Larry Niven's classic works includes “Inconstant
Moon” (soon to be a major motion picture), “Becalmed in Hell”,
“Passerby”, “The Jigsaw ...

Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven

<tj7qs2$1u046$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81001&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81001

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:06:10 +1300
 by: Titus G - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 05:06 UTC

On 25/10/22 12:44, a425couple wrote:
> Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven.
> (which is also the title of the collection.)
> Interesting,
For me it wasn't HUGO material.
Oops! World's ending, shag fat girlfriend, start smoking cigarettes, go
out for drinks and snacks, avoid a balanced diet, cook all food before
power goes off, fill bath with fresh water.
Oops! World's not ending. Snore, snore, snore.

Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven

<tj7r0d$1u046$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81002&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81002

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:08:29 +1300
 by: Titus G - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 05:08 UTC

On 25/10/22 18:06, Titus G wrote:
> On 25/10/22 12:44, a425couple wrote:
>> Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven.
>> (which is also the title of the collection.)
>> Interesting,
> For me it wasn't HUGO material.
> Oops! World's ending, shag fat girlfriend, start smoking cigarettes, go
> out for drinks and snacks, avoid a balanced diet,

Oops! World's not ending.

cook all food before
> power goes off, fill bath with fresh water.
> snip Snore, snore, snore.

Re: Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven

<3cb669ff-8bb5-4c49-bb95-aa4c7aaeb9e2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81029&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81029

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:53 UTC

On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 06:08:34 UTC+1, Titus G wrote:
> On 25/10/22 18:06, Titus G wrote:
> > On 25/10/22 12:44, a425couple wrote:
> >> Thoughts on Inconstant Moon, a Short story by Larry Niven.
> >> (which is also the title of the collection.)
> >> Interesting,
> > For me it wasn't HUGO material.
> > Oops! World's ending, shag fat girlfriend, start smoking cigarettes, go
> > out for drinks and snacks, avoid a balanced diet,
> Oops! World's not ending.

World takes a severe beating, in human terms.

There comes to mind H. G. Wells's "The Star"
(don't confuse it with Arthur C. Clarke) in which
astronomers remark that a small star (!) passing
by Earth and then crashing into the Sun had little
effect, on our planet, except for melting ice at the
poles. Because these astronomers happen to be
watching from Mars.