Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and think what nobody else has thought.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiPaul S Person
|+* Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiDavid Brown
||`* Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiPaul S Person
|| `- Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiJoe Pfeiffer
|`- Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiJack Bohn
`* Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiRobert Carnegie
 `- Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela LugosiPaul S Person

1
Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<2c05a1bc-9a28-4a93-9354-a52e8b4431e9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81070&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81070

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:14 UTC

Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<f4nilh5dmj6g6n6sddrt8n6iqqi6r139ih@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81080&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81080

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:26:02 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:26 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html

Well, since I have it on DVD, I see it on a Regular Recurring Basis.
Currently about once every four years, as best I can tell.

The DVD has the Spanish version on its back side. I watched it when I
got the DVD, but ... it wasn't Lugosi. That may sound strange, but
this was a film that was made by two separate casts and crews on the
same set and schedule -- English by day and Spanish by night. It was,
IOW, /not/ a dub. Apparently, that was how it was done for some films
way back when.

The dresses on the lady vampires were cut lower in the Spanish
version. Not /that/ much lower, but still ...

I can empathize with your experience growing up to a limited extent: I
saw many Mummy movies growing up but only when I acquired the original
(well, the 1932 Karloff one) and watched did I realize that I had
never actually seen it before. My entire concept of "mummy movie" was
based on the sequels/homages/whatevers. Which were /nothing/ like the
original.

Oh, and /Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein/ is the only A&C film I
have bothered with. Great when I was in elementary school, great
today.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<f3578008-62d8-429e-ae4d-3581d0bd81bdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81138&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81138

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 18:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 01:40 UTC

On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 9:26:12 AM UTC-7, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
> <davidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
> >https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
> Well, since I have it on DVD, I see it on a Regular Recurring Basis.
> Currently about once every four years, as best I can tell.
>
> The DVD has the Spanish version on its back side. I watched it when I
> got the DVD, but ... it wasn't Lugosi. That may sound strange, but
> this was a film that was made by two separate casts and crews on the
> same set and schedule -- English by day and Spanish by night. It was,
> IOW, /not/ a dub. Apparently, that was how it was done for some films
> way back when.
>
> The dresses on the lady vampires were cut lower in the Spanish
> version. Not /that/ much lower, but still ...
>
> I can empathize with your experience growing up to a limited extent: I
> saw many Mummy movies growing up but only when I acquired the original
> (well, the 1932 Karloff one) and watched did I realize that I had
> never actually seen it before. My entire concept of "mummy movie" was
> based on the sequels/homages/whatevers. Which were /nothing/ like the
> original.
>
> Oh, and /Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein/ is the only A&C film I
> have bothered with. Great when I was in elementary school, great
> today.
> --
> "In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
> development was the disintegration, under Christian
> influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
> of family right."
Just getting back to this, I was interested in your mention of the Spanish version of Dracula, as I have seen it praised highly as superior to the Lugosi film. I would be interested in knowing a little more about your opinion.. It was also on the rented DVD I used for my Dracula review, and I seriously debated holding onto it longer to take a look. However, I found it is available for free streaming, and I'm already busy. so I sent the disc back. Hopefully, I can take my own look soon.

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<5d9ab8ed-9a96-4858-9469-77a8f9c980f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81146&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81146

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 05:58:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 12:58 UTC

Paul S Person wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
> <davidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
> >https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
> Well, since I have it on DVD, I see it on a Regular Recurring Basis.
> Currently about once every four years, as best I can tell.
>
> The DVD has the Spanish version on its back side. I watched it when I
> got the DVD, but ... it wasn't Lugosi. That may sound strange, but
> this was a film that was made by two separate casts and crews on the
> same set and schedule -- English by day and Spanish by night. It was,
> IOW, /not/ a dub. Apparently, that was how it was done for some films
> way back when.

I caught some Laurel & Hardy shorts in Spanish that were shown as a curiosity. The supporting cast were swapped out for Spanish speakers, but Stan and Ollie were irreplaceable, and so read their lines in their inimitable style. Bela Lugosi was irreplaceable too, but they didn't know that for sure at the time, also there was the grind of making a feature above that of making a short, and I could probably throw in a joke about not having anyone who could print out Spanish phonetically, in Hungarian.

> Oh, and /Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein/ is the only A&C film I
> have bothered with. Great when I was in elementary school, great
> today.

I didn't get into Abbott and Costello until the DVD age (well, they would show "Who's on First?" in the pregame at least once each World Series). "A&C Meet Frankenstein" reminded me of Gilligan's Island, a dream Gilligan had that mashed up Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, and "My Fair Lady." Yeah, I know the influence ran the other way. Routines borrowed directly can be seen in an MGM movie they were borrowed for: "A&C in Hollywood," and their independent movie "Africa Screams."
"Buck Privates" is fun, but a little strange; it's at least half NOT an Abbott & Costello movie.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<j32olh99uaq6jeggmi12aedk3mkniqlac5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81160&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81160

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:57:52 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 16:57 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 18:40:44 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 9:26:12 AM UTC-7, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
>> <davidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
>> >https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
>> Well, since I have it on DVD, I see it on a Regular Recurring Basis.
>> Currently about once every four years, as best I can tell.
>>
>> The DVD has the Spanish version on its back side. I watched it when I
>> got the DVD, but ... it wasn't Lugosi. That may sound strange, but
>> this was a film that was made by two separate casts and crews on the
>> same set and schedule -- English by day and Spanish by night. It was,
>> IOW, /not/ a dub. Apparently, that was how it was done for some films
>> way back when.
>>
>> The dresses on the lady vampires were cut lower in the Spanish
>> version. Not /that/ much lower, but still ...
>>
>> I can empathize with your experience growing up to a limited extent: I
>> saw many Mummy movies growing up but only when I acquired the original
>> (well, the 1932 Karloff one) and watched did I realize that I had
>> never actually seen it before. My entire concept of "mummy movie" was
>> based on the sequels/homages/whatevers. Which were /nothing/ like the
>> original.
>>
>> Oh, and /Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein/ is the only A&C film I
>> have bothered with. Great when I was in elementary school, great
>> today.
>> --
>> "In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
>> development was the disintegration, under Christian
>> influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
>> of family right."
>Just getting back to this, I was interested in your mention of the Spanish version of Dracula, as I have seen it praised highly as superior to the Lugosi film. I would be interested in knowing a little more about your opinion. It was also on the rented DVD I used for my Dracula review, and I seriously debated holding onto it longer to take a look. However, I found it is available for free streaming, and I'm already busy. so I sent the disc back. Hopefully, I can take my own look soon.

I found it ... well enough done, but not Lugosi.

Of course, I watched it the next night after watching Lugosi's. This
may not have been the fairest of all tests.

I'm not sure about "superior", but it could be called "more romantic".
Latin lovers, after all!

It's not an /exact/ copy, BTW: one pair of lines was reversed (and,
no, I don't remember which one).

Also, one of these early classics had an extra feature noting that the
originals of each series (/Dracula/ and /Frankenstein/ for sure) were
not B-movies. They were A-movies, and very popular.

Later and lesser films may well have been B-movies; having discovered
a popular genre people would pay to see, churning them out would be a
natural reaction.

And, anyway, would any studio make a Spanish version with separate
cast and crew for a B-movie? That greatly increased the costs!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<1by1szwsfn.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81169&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81169

From: pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:26:36 -0600
sha1:xmQ5ZhG/IxRVEYvJpagcnieUwqU=
 by: Joe Pfeiffer - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 21:26 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:

> And, anyway, would any studio make a Spanish version with separate
> cast and crew for a B-movie? That greatly increased the costs!

Compared to also constructing sets, it would save money. So it would
not be unreasonable for they Spanish to be a B movie while the English
was not (though everybody tells me both were A movies).

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<d199f6bf-ae23-4326-a4f4-c2a4917d4949n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81214&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81214

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 12:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 19:26 UTC

On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 at 16:14:52 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
> Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
> David N. Brown
> Mesa, Arizona

I'm not sure why you say the novel was
"by Bram Stoker from Universal".

And I think your grammar broke while saying,
"some irreproducible peak and was always a
backhanded slight". "and" does not belong,
and "always" may be unnecessary.

Re: Movie review: Dracula 1931 and Bela Lugosi

<ehrvlhpi312rf43n0mh9ut5vgdqjvh2l2k@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81239&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81239

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:00:40 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:00 UTC

On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 12:26:36 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 at 16:14:52 UTC+1, David Brown wrote:
>> Here's another of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to post here, a review of Dracula, in my opinion the most overrated horror movie in history. One thing I didn't go into, Lugosi was the Sayer of the Law in Island of Lost Souls, the first adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau, which was probably his finest performance. What I'm really curious about, how many people here remember seeing Dracula, as opposed to other Lugosi movies, at all?
>> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-classics-file-one-that-made-bela.html
>> David N. Brown
>> Mesa, Arizona
>
>I'm not sure why you say the novel was
>"by Bram Stoker from Universal".

Good catch.

As the credits themselves (and even IMDb) state, it was actually based
on a stage play by Garrett Fort.

Of course, the /play/ was based on the novel. But the film was based
on the play.

And most other Dracula films were as well. Even Brooks', if only
because it was a satire of the film(s).

The "Love Never Dies" atrocity could be said to have been based on the
novel, in the sense that it actually ended in Transylvania, as the
novel does. Sadly, the movie may have /ended/ there, but Bram Stoker's
very tense and exciting ending was replaced by ... schmalz.

Argento's was explicitly said to be a "re-imagining of the novel", and
so was not based on the play. The strangest thing on the DVD is one of
the extra features, where it is claimed that the owl was traditional.
This makes me wonder if the word "bat" in the original was translated
by the Italian word for "owl". Then again, given it's Argento, sloppy
research could be at fault (as with the ludicrous explanation of the
XYY phenomenon in /Cat o' Nine Tails/), as it could be for the
switching of the girls' names.

>And I think your grammar broke while saying,
>"some irreproducible peak and was always a
>backhanded slight". "and" does not belong,
>and "always" may be unnecessary.

He appears to have removed the "and".