From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: “SpaceX_To_Cut_Down_Satellite_Count_By_Consolidat
ing_V-Band_System"
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 14:44:32 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 19:44 UTC

“SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"
https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-to-cut-down-satellite-count-by-consolidating-v-band-system

"The company plans on modifying its FCC license from 2018 for its V-band
satellite constellation, which it has yet to launch, but was originally
going to operate over 7,518 satellites.”

“In a rarity, SpaceX has told the FCC it’ll cut down on the total number
of Starlink satellites it plans on operating amid concerns from rivals,
environmental groups and astronomers about the system’s sheer size.”

Yup, the battle plan rarely survives first contact with the enemy.

Lynn

Re: “SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"

<tjk2tv$3m6mi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81194&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81194

From: tl...@none.invalid (Torbjorn Lindgren)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
ing_V-Band_System"
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:37:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Torbjorn Lindgren - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:37 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>“SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"
>
>https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-to-cut-down-satellite-count-by-consolidating-v-band-system
>
>"The company plans on modifying its FCC license from 2018 for its V-band
>satellite constellation, which it has yet to launch, but was originally
>going to operate over 7,518 satellites.”
>
>“In a rarity, SpaceX has told the FCC it’ll cut down on the total number
>of Starlink satellites it plans on operating amid concerns from rivals,
>environmental groups and astronomers about the system’s sheer size.”
>
>Yup, the battle plan rarely survives first contact with the enemy.

I think that's the first modification request for their Phase 2
constellation.

IIRC they've asked for modifications of the "Phase 1" approval three
times, but this may be the first modification for "Phase 2"
satellites. The different phases are separate approvals and timelines.

IIRC for phase 1 modifications the first one was approved, the second
was superseeded by the third which was then approved. And other
satellite constellations has also been allowed to change details so
it's not just SpaceX that tweak details as they go.

And the headline is at best misleading, note that SpaceX says they're
going to ask for a reduction of Gen 1 Phase 2 once Gen 2 has been
approved. And what people are mainly worried are either the low-flying
satellites OR the massive Gen 2 request, not these.

And the Gen 2 constellation request is IIRC... roughly 30k satellites!

Note that SpaceX needs to launch half of the satellites in the Phase 2
approval by November 2024, or get a waiver which relies on good will
and "sufficient effort and/or factor outside their control". Without a
waiver a violation means that the constellation size gets cut and
frozen at whatever number of satellite they have operational at that
time!

SpaceX has not launched any Phase 2 satellites yet, so my guess would
be that they're just trying to A:get the Gen2 constellation approved
(with a new and separate timeline) and B:reduce the launch load until
Starship comes online and can launch vast amounts of Starlink V2
satellites with laser links.

Re: “SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"

<tjk3cj$u6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81195&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81195

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re:_“SpaceX_To_Cut_Down_Satellite_Count_By_Cons
olidating_V-Band_System"
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 15:45:06 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:45 UTC

On 10/29/2022 3:37 PM, Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> “SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"
>>
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-to-cut-down-satellite-count-by-consolidating-v-band-system
>>
>> "The company plans on modifying its FCC license from 2018 for its V-band
>> satellite constellation, which it has yet to launch, but was originally
>> going to operate over 7,518 satellites.”
>>
>> “In a rarity, SpaceX has told the FCC it’ll cut down on the total number
>> of Starlink satellites it plans on operating amid concerns from rivals,
>> environmental groups and astronomers about the system’s sheer size.”
>>
>> Yup, the battle plan rarely survives first contact with the enemy.
>
> I think that's the first modification request for their Phase 2
> constellation.
>
> IIRC they've asked for modifications of the "Phase 1" approval three
> times, but this may be the first modification for "Phase 2"
> satellites. The different phases are separate approvals and timelines.
>
> IIRC for phase 1 modifications the first one was approved, the second
> was superseeded by the third which was then approved. And other
> satellite constellations has also been allowed to change details so
> it's not just SpaceX that tweak details as they go.
>
> And the headline is at best misleading, note that SpaceX says they're
> going to ask for a reduction of Gen 1 Phase 2 once Gen 2 has been
> approved. And what people are mainly worried are either the low-flying
> satellites OR the massive Gen 2 request, not these.
>
> And the Gen 2 constellation request is IIRC... roughly 30k satellites!
>
> Note that SpaceX needs to launch half of the satellites in the Phase 2
> approval by November 2024, or get a waiver which relies on good will
> and "sufficient effort and/or factor outside their control". Without a
> waiver a violation means that the constellation size gets cut and
> frozen at whatever number of satellite they have operational at that
> time!
>
> SpaceX has not launched any Phase 2 satellites yet, so my guess would
> be that they're just trying to A:get the Gen2 constellation approved
> (with a new and separate timeline) and B:reduce the launch load until
> Starship comes online and can launch vast amounts of Starlink V2
> satellites with laser links.

I was thinking that Gen2 was up to 45K satellites now. Maybe that is
the unofficial number.

Lynn

Re: Re: “SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"

<tjk7r9$3n2lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81198&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81198

From: tl...@none.invalid (Torbjorn Lindgren)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Re:_“SpaceX_To_Cut_Down_Satellite_Count_By_Cons
olidating_V-Band_System"
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 22:01:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Torbjorn Lindgren - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 22:01 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/29/2022 3:37 PM, Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> “SpaceX To Cut Down Satellite Count By Consolidating V-Band System"
>> And the headline is at best misleading, note that SpaceX says they're
>> going to ask for a reduction of Gen 1 Phase 2 once Gen 2 has been
>> approved. And what people are mainly worried are either the low-flying
>> satellites OR the massive Gen 2 request, not these.
>>
>> And the Gen 2 constellation request is IIRC... roughly 30k satellites!
>>
>> Note that SpaceX needs to launch half of the satellites in the Phase 2
>> approval by November 2024, or get a waiver which relies on good will
>> and "sufficient effort and/or factor outside their control". Without a
>> waiver a violation means that the constellation size gets cut and
>> frozen at whatever number of satellite they have operational at that
>> time!
>>
>> SpaceX has not launched any Phase 2 satellites yet, so my guess would
>> be that they're just trying to A:get the Gen2 constellation approved
>> (with a new and separate timeline) and B:reduce the launch load until
>> Starship comes online and can launch vast amounts of Starlink V2
>> satellites with laser links.
>
>I was thinking that Gen2 was up to 45K satellites now. Maybe that is
>the unofficial number.

It's possible that you're thinking of the total, it's often quoted as
42,000.

Gen 1 Phase 1 will end up at 4444 (original reqest was 4425) and
pre-modification Gen 1 Phase 2 is another 7518 satellites, adding
about 30k more to that gets us to around 42k.

But it's quite possible they've tweaked the Gen 2 proposal and I've
missed it. Personally I think they're more likely to add
constellations rather than even bigger ones due to the somewhat hard
launch deadlines that comes with approval.

The reason I think that way is because SpaceX would have been in
trouble if Gen2 has been quickly approved when it was first filed!
Starship and SuperHeavy isn't ready yet...

Yes, it may be possible to get waivers for the two timeliness (50% and
100%) checkpoints if they've tried "hard enough" but it's would be a
risky play.