The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenRobert Woodward
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good toChristian Weisgerber
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenSteve Coltrin
`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenWolffan

1
[tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<tk36bp$r11$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81411&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81411

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 14:07:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 14:07 UTC

Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
https://www.tor.com/2022/11/04/five-classic-sff-collections-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/

What it says. Authors mentioned include James H. Schmitz, Joan D.
Vinge, Katherine MacLean, Larry Niven and Tanith Lee.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<robertaw-663289.09485304112022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81416&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81416

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 09:48:54 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:48 UTC

In article <tk36bp$r11$1@reader2.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> https://www.tor.com/2022/11/04/five-classic-sff-collections-that-are-too-good-
> to-be-forgotten/
>
> What it says. Authors mentioned include James H. Schmitz, Joan D.
> Vinge, Katherine MacLean, Larry Niven and Tanith Lee.

Is "Five Classic SFF Anthologies ..." in preparation?

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<tk3lln$k9a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81417&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81417

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 18:29:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 18:29 UTC

In article <robertaw-663289.09485304112022@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <tk36bp$r11$1@reader2.panix.com>,
> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
>>
>https://www.tor.com/2022/11/04/five-classic-sff-collections-that-are-too-good-
>> to-be-forgotten/
>>
>> What it says. Authors mentioned include James H. Schmitz, Joan D.
>> Vinge, Katherine MacLean, Larry Niven and Tanith Lee.
>
>Is "Five Classic SFF Anthologies ..." in preparation?

Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<slrntmak3d.103s.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81418&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81418

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to
Be Forgotten
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:48:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:48 UTC

On 2022-11-04, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> https://www.tor.com/2022/11/04/five-classic-sff-collections-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/

_Neutron Star_:
| The eight stories are all set in Niven’s Known Space setting.
| Most date from 1966 or 1967 (with one 1968 straggler), the period
| in which a then-young Niven was doing his worldbuilding.

People have been pointing out that the central puzzle of "Neutron
Star" is not credible, because any space-faring civilization should
know about gravitational tides. I would be willing to let that
slide for the sake of story telling, but what really sticks out to
me is that the original expedition had set out from Jinx, of all
places, a _tidally deformed_ moon of a superplanet.

Which makes me wonder: Did Niven write "Neutron Star" _before_ he
had decided on a backstory for Jinx? The story itself only mentions
Jinx by name.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<m2sfiyv8ip.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81419&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81419

From: spcol...@omcl.org (Steve Coltrin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 13:12:30 -0600
 by: Steve Coltrin - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 19:12 UTC

begin fnord
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> writes:

> Which makes me wonder: Did Niven write "Neutron Star" _before_ he
> had decided on a backstory for Jinx? The story itself only mentions
> Jinx by name.

Quite possibly; "Neutron Star" was the same year as "Bordered in Black"
and a year after "One Face", both almost-but-not-quite-Known-Space stories.

--
Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Re: [tor dot com] Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<0001HW.2916C44300FC415470000338F38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81445&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81445

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 12:18:11 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 16:18 UTC

On 04 Nov 2022, James Nicoll wrote
(in article <tk36bp$r11$1@reader2.panix.com>):

> Five Classic SFF Collections That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> https://www.tor.com/2022/11/04/five-classic-sff-collections-that-are-too-good-
> to-be-forgotten/
>
> What it says. Authors mentioned include James H. Schmitz, Joan D.
> Vinge, Katherine MacLean, Larry Niven and Tanith Lee.

and three more here: Neutron, Eye, and Pride. Eyes is one of the books
rescued from The Pile and added to my to-read list. Pride is in The Pile, and
may yet join the to-read list.