From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:22:28 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:22 UTC

"The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
https://www.amazon.com/Maze-Runner-Book-1/dp/0385737955/

Book number one of a six book young adult science fiction apocalyptic
series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
published by Delacorte Press in 2010. I have ordered the other four
books in the series from Big River and will read them soon.

I saw the excellent movies made using the first three books in the
series a couple of years ago and decided to read the books finally. The
first movie is fairly faithful to the first book with Dylan O'Brien
(Teen Wolf) playing the part of Thomas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maze_Runner_(film)

The basic premise is that the Sun goes wild and scorches the Earth in an
event called the Flare, outright killing most of the people on Earth.
And then a virus rolls through the remaining population, killing many of
them and making most of the survivors crazy. A group of kids wake up in
a glade surrounded by a huge maze full of dangerous creatures and learn
how to survive in very difficult situations.

Warning: Several of the kids are killed in the book and the movie.

The author has a website at:
https://jamesdashner.com/

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (15,710 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner

<6mp7mh9s1o4rbrud78mob6j60ouukk8q2b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81365&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81365

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 09:10:00 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 16:10 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:22:28 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>"The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
> https://www.amazon.com/Maze-Runner-Book-1/dp/0385737955/
>
>Book number one of a six book young adult science fiction apocalyptic
>series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>published by Delacorte Press in 2010. I have ordered the other four
>books in the series from Big River and will read them soon.
>
>I saw the excellent movies made using the first three books in the
>series a couple of years ago and decided to read the books finally. The
>first movie is fairly faithful to the first book with Dylan O'Brien
>(Teen Wolf) playing the part of Thomas.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maze_Runner_(film)
>
>The basic premise is that the Sun goes wild and scorches the Earth in an
>event called the Flare, outright killing most of the people on Earth.
>And then a virus rolls through the remaining population, killing many of
>them and making most of the survivors crazy. A group of kids wake up in
>a glade surrounded by a huge maze full of dangerous creatures and learn
>how to survive in very difficult situations.

Thanks for explaining what happened. That's more than the films ever
did.

I will agree that, since the Mean Nasty Lady finally got hers (in the
third film, natch), the series can be said to be "acceptable".

Does the book explain why the treehouse the girl runs into in the
first film has a convenient pile of small rocks, perfect for throwing
at the boys to keep them away? Seemed awful /convenient/ to me.

>Warning: Several of the kids are killed in the book and the movie.

Yes they are.

And yet, despite the carnage, I felt that the fight at the end in the
film was ... not as impressive as it should have been. But perhaps
they had to bowlderize it to get it down to PG-13.

--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner

<tk1330$1h5hb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81371&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81371

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:59:42 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:59 UTC

On 11/3/2022 11:10 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:22:28 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
>> https://www.amazon.com/Maze-Runner-Book-1/dp/0385737955/
>>
>> Book number one of a six book young adult science fiction apocalyptic
>> series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>> published by Delacorte Press in 2010. I have ordered the other four
>> books in the series from Big River and will read them soon.
>>
>> I saw the excellent movies made using the first three books in the
>> series a couple of years ago and decided to read the books finally. The
>> first movie is fairly faithful to the first book with Dylan O'Brien
>> (Teen Wolf) playing the part of Thomas.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maze_Runner_(film)
>>
>> The basic premise is that the Sun goes wild and scorches the Earth in an
>> event called the Flare, outright killing most of the people on Earth.
>> And then a virus rolls through the remaining population, killing many of
>> them and making most of the survivors crazy. A group of kids wake up in
>> a glade surrounded by a huge maze full of dangerous creatures and learn
>> how to survive in very difficult situations.
>
> Thanks for explaining what happened. That's more than the films ever
> did.
>
> I will agree that, since the Mean Nasty Lady finally got hers (in the
> third film, natch), the series can be said to be "acceptable".
>
> Does the book explain why the treehouse the girl runs into in the
> first film has a convenient pile of small rocks, perfect for throwing
> at the boys to keep them away? Seemed awful /convenient/ to me.
>
>> Warning: Several of the kids are killed in the book and the movie.
>
> Yes they are.
>
> And yet, despite the carnage, I felt that the fight at the end in the
> film was ... not as impressive as it should have been. But perhaps
> they had to bowlderize it to get it down to PG-13.
>
>> The author has a website at:
>> https://jamesdashner.com/
>>
>> My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (15,710 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn

You are welcome.

Earth getting scorched by Sol is not a popular theme but probably just
as likely as any other type of apocalypse.

Books 4 and 5 (not movieized) explain the scorching and the creation of
the maze.

Lynn

Re: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner

<q3damh9sof0a7n4u4veklmq0ft0rilrvbd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81415&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81415

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 08:49:37 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:49 UTC

On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:59:42 -0500, Lynn McGuire

Ah.

Afterthoughts.

Gotta sell more books!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner