"Turn on, tune up, rock out." -- Billy Gibbons

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirer

SubjectAuthor
* R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical InquirerLenona
`* Re: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical InquirerCharles Packer
 `- Re: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirerpeterwezeman@hotmail.com

1
R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirer

<4ad90def-e916-4705-a85a-563b85690e89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81598&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81598

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 05:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirer
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:47 UTC

One source says he wrote SF as well, but I can't find any titles of his that sound like that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kendrick+frazier+books&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjKi-KC36P7AhVbkokEHQRQDzoQ_AUoA3oECAIQBQ&biw=1366&bih=649&dpr=1
(book covers)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/147284.Kendrick_Frazier
(reader reviews)

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2015/03/organized-skepticism-four-decades-and-today/
(LONG article by Frazier from 2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendrick_Frazier

https://centerforinquiry.org/news/kendrick-frazier-skeptical-inquirer-has-died-at-age-80/

Kendrick Frazier, the acclaimed science writer and skeptic who has been the editor of Skeptical Inquirer for nearly all of its 46-year history, has died at age 80 following a brief illness. The entire Center for Inquiry community is shocked and heartbroken by the sudden passing of our beloved colleague and friend.

Ken was a part of CFI history quite literally from Day One. In May 1976, writing for Science News, Ken reported on the formation of the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP). In 1977, Ken joined CSICOP to serve as editor of The Zetetic, which became Skeptical Inquirer in 1978. He held that position ever since, spending the better part of five decades defining and steering the work of the skeptical community in combating disinformation and pseudoscience.

Ken was a tireless advocate for science and skepticism who inspired generations of journalists, skeptics, and investigators in pursuit of truth.

“Ken Frazier devoted his life to spreading education and science to every society and every nation. He will never be forgotten,” said Eddie Tabash, Chair of the Board of Directors of the Center for Inquiry. “He was a true world leader in the effort to help as many people as possible reject unproven paranormal and supernatural claims and follow actual evidence wherever it leads.”

“I’ve met many inspirational figures but none who were as accomplished and as humane as Ken,” said CFI President and CEO Robyn Blumner. “That magical combination is what made him so remarkable and beloved. Ken’s storied career speaks for itself in his decades of groundbreaking and impactful work. But it was Ken’s kindness, compassion, and utter humanity that inspired loyalty and deep regard from everyone he worked with and knew.”

“Ken was the archetype of skepticism, seeking proof and rejecting speculation, yet never in a way that came across as cold or unfeeling. As a colleague and friend, he was one of the best, and I will remember his warmth, humor, and kindness,” said Nick Little, Vice President and General Counsel of the Center for Inquiry.

“Often, when writing, I’ve found myself asking ‘How would Ken say this?’ and then failing miserably to come close to what Ken would say,” remembered Barry Karr, Executive Director of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry and Skeptical Inquirer. “He had this intelligence, this optimistic and beautiful soul. Something I’ve said dozens of times over the last several decades is ‘When I grow up, I want to be like Ken Frazier.’”

In addition to serving as Skeptical Inquirer’s editor (and mainstay contributor), Ken was a prolific science writer who published ten books and edited several anthologies; he spent 23 years at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque before retiring in 2006 as a Principal Member of Laboratory Staff; he was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and was honored by the American Humanist Association with its Humanist Pioneer Award in 1995.

Above and beyond all that, Ken was a beloved colleague, a deeply respected leader, and a great friend. To his wife, Ruth, and the rest of his family and friends, we wish as much comfort and peace as is possible during this time of great loss. His was an irreplaceable presence and all of us at the Center for Inquiry are deeply saddened by his passing.

[NOTE: This post is being updated as additional remembrances and tributes to Ken come in.]

Re: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirer

<uZmcL.84034$1449.71964@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81786&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81786

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:27:06 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:27 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 05:47:41 -0800, Lenona wrote:

> Kendrick Frazier, the acclaimed science writer and skeptic who has been
> the editor of Skeptical Inquirer for nearly all of its 46-year history,
> has died at age 80 following a brief illness. The entire Center for
> Inquiry community is shocked and heartbroken by the sudden passing of
> our beloved colleague and friend.
>
> Ken was a part of CFI history quite literally from Day One. In May 1976,
> writing for Science News, Ken reported on the formation of the Committee
> for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP).
> In 1977, Ken joined CSICOP to serve as editor of The Zetetic, which
> became Skeptical Inquirer in 1978. He held that position ever since,
> spending the better part of five decades defining and steering the work
> of the skeptical community in combating disinformation and
> pseudoscience.
>
> Ken was a tireless advocate for science and skepticism who inspired
> generations of journalists, skeptics, and investigators in pursuit of
> truth.

For what it's worth, here's what a Google search of
"Kendrick Frazier" turned up on Saturday evening.
Of the ten links shown in the default search return page,
the first was for the Wikipedia page for the Kendrick Frazier in
question.
The rest were related to him except for
#2: Kendrick Frazier, 25, homocide shooting victim in Nashville Sep. 5
#5: Instagram post by Kendrick Frazier, owner of LGN Fitness Team
#8: Kendrick Frazier, 46, accused of trying to run over a cop in Baton
Rouge on April 29
The tenth link was to secularhumanism.org titled "Kendrick Frazier
Never Had a Dull Moment"...

So I turned to howmanyofme.com for an estimate of how many
Kendrick Fraziers there are in the U.S. This is a site I've had
bookmarked for a couple of years because of its usefulness.
The site is dead. (Cue Twilight Zone theme...)

Re: R.I.P. Kendrick Frazier, 80, editor of Skeptical Inquirer

<1df2fc94-f395-466d-97ab-3ca7c76c715en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81787&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81787

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 07:52:22 -0800 (PST)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:52 UTC

On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 2:27:15 AM UTC-6, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 05:47:41 -0800, Lenona wrote:
>
> > Kendrick Frazier, the acclaimed science writer and skeptic who has been
> > the editor of Skeptical Inquirer for nearly all of its 46-year history,
> > has died at age 80 following a brief illness. The entire Center for
> > Inquiry community is shocked and heartbroken by the sudden passing of
> > our beloved colleague and friend.
> >
> > Ken was a part of CFI history quite literally from Day One. In May 1976,
> > writing for Science News, Ken reported on the formation of the Committee
> > for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP).
> > In 1977, Ken joined CSICOP to serve as editor of The Zetetic, which
> > became Skeptical Inquirer in 1978. He held that position ever since,
> > spending the better part of five decades defining and steering the work
> > of the skeptical community in combating disinformation and
> > pseudoscience.
> >
> > Ken was a tireless advocate for science and skepticism who inspired
> > generations of journalists, skeptics, and investigators in pursuit of
> > truth.
> >
> For what it's worth, here's what a Google search of
> "Kendrick Frazier" turned up on Saturday evening.
> Of the ten links shown in the default search return page,
> the first was for the Wikipedia page for the Kendrick Frazier in
> question.
> The rest were related to him except for
> #2: Kendrick Frazier, 25, homocide shooting victim in Nashville Sep. 5
> #5: Instagram post by Kendrick Frazier, owner of LGN Fitness Team
> #8: Kendrick Frazier, 46, accused of trying to run over a cop in Baton
> Rouge on April 29
> The tenth link was to secularhumanism.org titled "Kendrick Frazier
> Never Had a Dull Moment"...
>
> So I turned to howmanyofme.com for an estimate of how many
> Kendrick Fraziers there are in the U.S. This is a site I've had
> bookmarked for a couple of years because of its usefulness.
> The site is dead. (Cue Twilight Zone theme...)

So we have to be skeptical. How appropriate.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist