From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: XKCD road space
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:52:55 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 02:52 UTC

Today's XKCD is a parody of the road-space diagrams often posted by
anti-car advocates.

While looking at the diagrams of bicycles and pedestrians occupying
the full width of the lane, it struck me that there is an important
point the serious diagrams never discuss, and which was never
mentioned (as of 11:04 14 October 2022)in the discussion of the
paroday:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2684:_Road_Space_Comparison
..

A few months ago I had to drive my car in truly horrible weather.
Oh, well, leave early, drive really slow, eschew my favorite backways
in favor of streets that are sure to have been plowed, and I'll get
there.

Once on Center Street, I found that dealing with the weather was
complicated by dealing with a very crowded street.

??? Surely, everybody who *can* stay home *did* stay home!
Where did all these cars come from?

Duh! If every car is spending three times as much time on each mile,
then each mile is going to have three times as many cars on it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net