If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to BeLynn McGuire
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be ForgottenWilliam Hyde
`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Bea425couple

1
[tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<tl2uhu$i9f$1@panix3.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81874&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81874

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
Date: 16 Nov 2022 15:10:54 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:10 UTC

Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
https://www.tor.com/2022/11/16/five-vintage-sf-anthologies-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/

Vintage in this case defined to allow me to avoid choosing between
Orbits 6 and 7.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<tl3fbg$2e0qa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81896&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81896

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be
Forgotten
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 13:57:35 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:57 UTC

On 11/16/2022 9:10 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> https://www.tor.com/2022/11/16/five-vintage-sf-anthologies-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/
>
> Vintage in this case defined to allow me to avoid choosing between
> Orbits 6 and 7.

Zero for five here. And nothing to suggest.

Lynn

Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<a2657bc0-f076-4a12-8fab-8d649ea2a060n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81906&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81906

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 12:59:36 -0800 (PST)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 20:59 UTC

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 2:57:41 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 11/16/2022 9:10 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> > https://www.tor.com/2022/11/16/five-vintage-sf-anthologies-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/
> >
> > Vintage in this case defined to allow me to avoid choosing between
> > Orbits 6 and 7.
> Zero for five here. And nothing to suggest.

I loved the Conklin. It was impossible to read at a sitting, but I sure tried.

I was a fan of the New Wave, but very keen on earlier work also. I stumbled across some
ancient hardbacks containing stories from the 40s and late 30s and was blown away. I
thought I'd read *everything* by Heinlein and here was this long story, "By his Bootstraps"
which was wonderful. There were many good stories by authors I'd never heard
of, which led me to further works, not always strictly SF.

(though BHB is not actually in the Conklin but in another classic, Healy and McComas'
"Adventures in Time and Space".

In other words, recommended.

William Hyde

Re: [tor dot com] Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten

<4RvdL.3$Mlk.1@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81941&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81941

Forgotten
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:21:36 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:21 UTC

On 11/16/22 07:10, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Vintage SF Anthologies That Are Too Good to Be Forgotten
> https://www.tor.com/2022/11/16/five-vintage-sf-anthologies-that-are-too-good-to-be-forgotten/
>
> Vintage in this case defined to allow me to avoid choosing between
> Orbits 6 and 7.

from your cite:

"5: “Jay Score” is a classic example of a genre that we might call “the
despised minority character who showed they were basically ok by risking
their life to save the narrator, who by the way is white and also male”
genre. Russell’s stab at inclusion asserts that each race has to be
included because each has race-specific abilities (thus, all space
doctors are Black). Needless to say, this isn’t inclusion so much as a
race-based caste system."

I read at:
http://mporcius.blogspot.com/2016/03/three-stories-from-astounding-by-eric.html

"Anyway, the white engineers, the black doctor, and the crew's tentacled
Martians (who need less oxygen than humans and can better stand extremes
of heat) all contribute to the ship's and the crew's survival.
Presumably it is significant that hero Jay is "neither black nor white;"
whether this means he is biracial or an Asian or Native American is
unclear.

[UPDATE DECEMBER 12, 2020: On rereading "Jay Score" four years later I
find it seems I misunderstood the story's twist ending. I thought Jay
Score was a heroic man of indeterminate ethnicity who sacrificed his
body to save the ship and his comrades, and at the end of the story had
his brain installed in a robot body. In fact, Russell just wants you to
think that Jay Score is a man of superior physical and mental fortitude
until the kicker at the end of his story--the twist ending is that Jay
Score was a robot all along, the twentieth of the J-series of robots.
Tricky!]"