Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 13:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Missing Link Optimus Prime (with Missing Price!) Comes to Hasbro Pulse
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:15 UTC

So even though we just barely got good pictures of these toys, and I thought it was going to be months before they were made available for sale, as of yesterday you can now pre-order both versions on Hasbro Pulse and other fine e-tailers.

The cartoon version (no trailer) is $69.99, but was mistakenly listed on Pulse for $119.99 when it first went up, despite this being the same price as the toy that actually comes with a trailer. This was eventually amended, and the toy promptly went to "sold out" status until it was made available again today:

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/transformers/products/transformers-masterpiece-missing-link-c-02-optimus-prime-animation-edition-figure

The G1 toy colors version, which I feel is honestly the true and correct representation for a release of this nature, does come with the trailer, and as such appropriately commands the higher, and accurate, price of $119.99:

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/transformers/products/transformers-masterpiece-missing-link-c-01-optimus-prime-with-trailer

I am thinking this is, probably, the first in a series of these things. There's theoretically nothing to stop Takara from doing Missing Link versions of Starscream, Soundwave, Jazz, Grimlock, etc. I think there's a strong likelihood they'll do Megatron, too, though obviously that's a toy Hasbro Pulse wouldn't be selling to American consumers. It's such a fun and interesting way of keeping G1 fresh. It's familiar, but different. They're old, but new. I think it's honestly an awesome idea.

Zob (and I wouldn't hate seeing some unsung characters done in this retro format, as well)

Re: Missing Link Optimus Prime (with Missing Price!) Comes to Hasbro Pulse

<46f068fa-b5af-4910-bf9a-f6f3ed804b44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8222&group=alt.toys.transformers#8222

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:40:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: liambh...@gmail.com (Swivelbot)
 by: Swivelbot - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:40 UTC

On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 4:15:12 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> So even though we just barely got good pictures of these toys, and I thought it was going to be months before they were made available for sale, as of yesterday you can now pre-order both versions on Hasbro Pulse and other fine e-tailers.

It's very strange to me how fast new figures are coming out, Thew Adams said it best "Pre-order why? it's already on shelves".

> The G1 toy colors version, which I feel is honestly the true and correct representation for a release of this nature, does come with the trailer, and as such appropriately commands the higher, and accurate, price of $119.99:

I get why TakaraTomy made a cartoon colours version (more product) but also I don't understand why anyone would want a cartoon coloured G1 toy of Optimus Prime when you can get a modern cartoon accurate Prime for almost the same cost as the cartoon colours version.
> I am thinking this is, probably, the first in a series of these things. There's theoretically nothing to stop Takara from doing Missing Link versions of Starscream, Soundwave, Jazz, Grimlock, etc. I think there's a strong likelihood they'll do Megatron, too, though obviously that's a toy Hasbro Pulse wouldn't be selling to American consumers. It's such a fun and interesting way of keeping G1 fresh. It's familiar, but different. They're old, but new. I think it's honestly an awesome idea.

I do think their options are limited, figures like G1 Soundwave and Megatron are some of the more articulated G1 toys whereas G1 Starscream (in my experience) is one of the most limited G1 toys. Optimus Prime is probably the most articulated G1 toy (knees, shoulders, wrists, the whole nine yards) but I wouldn't put it past them and i'm sure they'll figure it out.

Swivelbot

Re: Missing Link Optimus Prime (with Missing Price!) Comes to Hasbro Pulse

<a85fb3dc-db4d-4362-8888-fbd141681d08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8223&group=alt.toys.transformers#8223

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:42:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 03:42 UTC

On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 1:15:12 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> https://hasbropulse.com/collections/transformers/products/transformers-masterpiece-missing-link-c-01-optimus-prime-with-trailer

Hey whoa, so Hasbro puts this up on Pulse-does that mean anything in regards to their plans for the figure? Does this mean they won't be releasing a version themselves at North American retail? I can't remember a time in recent history where Hasbro imported any Takara Transformer that was eventually released in North America. Maybe an MP like movie Blackout? I don't remember. The pattern seems to be that if Hasbro makes a Japanese market release available on Pulse they have no plans to release an equivalent via retail in NA. Is there a fan site Q&A coming up where they can be asked about this? Pulsecon maybe?

I do wonder what the mold changes for a possible Hasbro release would be. Probably giant missiles and such. I wonder if they may not release it at all given that the last Optimus reissue without a trailer was so expensive and ended up on massive clearance. I wonder how they would differentiate this version on the packaging to appeal to a market that seems to have G1 Optimus mold fatigue. Because to the casual fan strolling through the toy aisle this may seem like just another old 80s Optimus Prime.

Re: Missing Link Optimus Prime (with Missing Price!) Comes to Hasbro Pulse

<459fdcf0-9988-4cb8-a3f8-01bf08b4ea1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8225&group=alt.toys.transformers#8225

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:58 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 9:42:11 PM UTC-6, Evil King Macrocranios wrote:

> Hey whoa, so Hasbro puts this up on Pulse-does that mean anything in regards to their plans for the figure? Does this mean they won't be releasing a version themselves at North American retail? I can't remember a time in recent history where Hasbro imported any Takara Transformer that was eventually released in North America. The pattern seems to be that if Hasbro makes a Japanese market release available on Pulse they have no plans to release an equivalent via retail in NA.

I guess it's going to be like the Seacons or various Masterpiece toys—Takara products in Takara packaging, imported and sold by Hasbro. Probably with a new cardboard sleeve that says "official TakaraTomy product, MP C-02" or whatever. The Pulse web site says it's going to have Japanese-language instructions and collector cards.

I'm thinking the odds of seeing it at a big-box retailer are slim to none. Places like GameStop might order some and then resell them, but I really don't think that constitutes truly "finding them at retail" in the traditional sense. But, the lines are blurred in a way they never really were before.

> I do wonder what the mold changes for a possible Hasbro release would be. Probably giant missiles and such. I wonder if they may not release it at all given that the last Optimus reissue without a trailer was so expensive and ended up on massive clearance.

So obviously I won't ever be able to prove this, but I strongly believe Hasbro solicited the Mr. Opt. P. reissue to Walmart as the complete toy, and then they changed their minds when they realized the trailer component was too damaged to include as part of the reissue. The shelf space measurements that Hasbro provided to Walmart were twice as long as the final packaging, going off the action figure modular planogram, which suggests to me that Hasbro had originally been planning for the box to be much bigger. And just the Optimus cab, by itself, should not have retailed for $49.99.

Zob (will never not call that toy Mr. Opt. P.)