The important thing is not to stop questioning.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

SubjectAuthor
* "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark DarltonLynn McGuire
+* Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark DarltonDon
|`- Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark DarltonLynn McGuire
`- Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark DarltonLynn McGuire

1
"The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

<tlr7sn$18dn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=82344&group=rec.arts.sf.written#82344

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:17:27 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 20:17 UTC

"The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton
https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Techs-Perry-Rhodan-55/dp/B000JJ9HMO/

Book number fifty-five of a series of one hundred and thirty-six space
opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
German stories per book translated by Wendayne Ackerman and transitioned
to one story per book with the sixth book. And then they transition
back to two stories in book #109/110. The Ace publisher dropped out at
#118, so Forrest and Wendayne Ackerman published books #119 to #136 in
pamphlets before stopping in 1978. The German books were written from
1961 to present time, having sold two billion copies and even recently
been rebooted again. I read the well printed and well bound book
published by Ace in 1974 that I had to be very careful with due to age.
I bought an almost complete box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on
ebay that I am finally getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans
in The Great Flood of 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #106,
plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 63 of the German pamphlets written in
1962. There is a very good explanation of the plot in German on the
Perrypedia German website of all of the PR books. There is automatic
Google translation available for English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese,
French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Die_Mikro-Techniker

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over sixty-nine years since then and the Solar Empire
has flourished with tens of millions of people and many spaceships
headquartered in the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania. Perry Rhodan
has been elected by the people of Earth to be the World Administrator.

Perry Rhodan's spy on the Swoon's planet Swoofon has found out that the
Arkonide Robot Brain Regent is having the Swoon's build a hypercom
compensator detector. That means as the Terranean space ships travel
back to Terra, their previously hidden hypercom transits will not be
hidden anymore. Perry Rhodan and his people must stop the the building
of the hypercom compensator detector.

Two observations:
1. Forrest Ackerman should have put two or three of the translated
stories in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked
out well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would
never allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars (1 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

<20221125a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=82359&group=rec.arts.sf.written#82359

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 04:10:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 04:10 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

<snip>

> Perry Rhodan's spy on the Swoon's planet Swoofon has found out that the
> Arkonide Robot Brain Regent is having the Swoon's build a hypercom
> compensator detector. That means as the Terranean space ships travel
> back to Terra, their previously hidden hypercom transits will not be
> hidden anymore. Perry Rhodan and his people must stop the the building
> of the hypercom compensator detector.

An old friend, Mounder spacefleet commander Talamon, appears again and
assists Perry in this adventure. Besides Robot Regent treachery, the
Terrans discover a Springer scheme to swindle Swoons in detector
production.
The story's predominantly set in subterranean cities and factories,
where Swoons live and work. An underground railway system uses
locomotives, "barely 1 meter long and 50 centimeters high", to stitch
locations together.
The formula used by this story entails: an oppressed, alien race,
language translation, and the subversion of the status-quo for mutual
benefit of both Terrania and aliens.

###

My previous followup, for "The Blue Dwarfs (Perry Rhodan #54)" ought to
have included Forrest Ackerman's Ace #54 note about how Walter Ernsting
AKA Clark Darlton, arrived at Ackermansion to write "Testflight to Eden"
exclusively for Ackerman's American audience. The story's serialized and
appears in Ace #68 and #69.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

<tls6nl$1vbg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=82361&group=rec.arts.sf.written#82361

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 23:03:49 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 05:03 UTC

On 11/25/2022 10:10 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton
>
> <snip>
>
>> Perry Rhodan's spy on the Swoon's planet Swoofon has found out that the
>> Arkonide Robot Brain Regent is having the Swoon's build a hypercom
>> compensator detector. That means as the Terranean space ships travel
>> back to Terra, their previously hidden hypercom transits will not be
>> hidden anymore. Perry Rhodan and his people must stop the the building
>> of the hypercom compensator detector.
>
> An old friend, Mounder spacefleet commander Talamon, appears again and
> assists Perry in this adventure. Besides Robot Regent treachery, the
> Terrans discover a Springer scheme to swindle Swoons in detector
> production.
> The story's predominantly set in subterranean cities and factories,
> where Swoons live and work. An underground railway system uses
> locomotives, "barely 1 meter long and 50 centimeters high", to stitch
> locations together.
> The formula used by this story entails: an oppressed, alien race,
> language translation, and the subversion of the status-quo for mutual
> benefit of both Terrania and aliens.
>
> ###
>
> My previous followup, for "The Blue Dwarfs (Perry Rhodan #54)" ought to
> have included Forrest Ackerman's Ace #54 note about how Walter Ernsting
> AKA Clark Darlton, arrived at Ackermansion to write "Testflight to Eden"
> exclusively for Ackerman's American audience. The story's serialized and
> appears in Ace #68 and #69.
>
> Danke,

I was wondering when Clark Darlton novella would show up. Nice.

Lynn

Re: "The Micro-Techs (Perry Rhodan #55)" by Clark Darlton

<tlu09a$1871$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=82383&group=rec.arts.sf.written#82383

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:26:02 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:26 UTC

On 11/25/2022 2:17 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
> back to Terra, their previously hidden hypercom transits will not be
> hidden anymore.  Perry Rhodan and his people must stop the the building
> of the hypercom compensator detector.
>
> Two observations:
> 1. Forrest Ackerman should have put two or three of the translated
> stories in each book.  Having two stories in the first five books worked
> out well.  Just having one story in the book is too short and would
> never allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
> 2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
> read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
> by David Weber.
>    https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/
>
> My rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars (1 reviews)

Sigh. Please replace hypercom with hyperdrive. So the following becomes:

Perry Rhodan's spy on the Swoon's planet Swoofon has found out that the
Arkonide Robot Brain Regent is having the Swoon's build a hyperdrive
compensator detector. That means as the Terranean space ships travel
back to Terra, their previously hidden hyperdrive transits will not be
hidden anymore. Perry Rhodan and his people must stop the the building
of the hyperdrive compensator detector.

Lynn