Your boss is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / Re: “Texas scientists name -- beaver -- they are dangerous!

SubjectAuthor
o Re: “Texas scientists name -- beaver -- they ara425couple

1
Re: “Texas scientists name -- beaver -- they are dangerous!

<yq2VL.2097451$vBI8.1452512@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=828&group=alt.fan.heinlein#828

Subject: Re:_“Texas_scientists_name_--_beaver_--_they_ar
e_dangerous!
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:52:30 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 21:52 UTC

On 3/28/23 15:34, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “Texas scientists name newly discovered ancient beaver after
Buc-ee’s, the state’s wildly popular rest stop”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-scientists-name-newly-discovered-ancient-beaver-buc-ees-wildy-popular-texas-rest-stop

> “Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin have named a newly
discovered species of ancient beaver after Buc-ee’s, the chain of
convenience stores known for its namesake mascot. The new species is
called “Anchitheriomys buceei,” or “A. buceei” for the rest of us.”

> A 57 lb (26 kg) beaver ? That is a rodent of unusual size.
>
> Lynn

restart:
from
https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2021/09/21/73-year-old-massachusetts-man-was-mauled-almost-killed-by-a-rabid-beaver/

73-Year-Old Massachusetts Man Was Mauled & Almost Killed By A Rabid Beaver
Brett Stayton·LIFERIFF OUTDOORSVIDEOS·September 21, 2021

Stories about people getting mauled by bears are somewhat expected,
especially as conflicts between people and bruins continue to rise
across North America.

Stories about people getting mauled by beavers? Well, that’s not very
common at all, and when it does happen, it certainly warrants some
attention.

(It should warrant attention - but I've confident it's under reported!)

According to Mass Live News, 73-year-old Mark Pieraccini of Greenfield,
Massachusetts, was swimming in a pond near the town of Hatfield when
North America’s largest rodent violently attacked him. He reportedly had
to fight for his life with the beaver for several minutes before he was
able to break free and escape to dry land.

In addition to almost drowning, he had chunks of flesh torn from his
arms and legs. He also was dealt scratches and lacerations all over his
body, including his scalp, and he tore a tendon in one of his fingers
and fractured a knuckle while punching the beaver.

Because beaver attacks are so rare, experts speculate that the animal
most likely has rabies. Because of that, Pieraccini also had to undergo
treatment for rabies.

While the violent ambush from the beaver was physically harmful, he said
his biggest concern was going under the water and not coming back up.

His battle with the beaver lasted for more than 5 minutes, and it took
place in a deep part of the lake where he could not touch the bottom
with his feet. Trying to both stay afloat and defend himself from the
rodent left him exhausted and at genuine risk of drowning.

“At some point, I said to myself, ‘If I stop and fight him one more
time, I’m going to drown.”

----

A spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife
said that there are very few incidents of people in the state being
attacked by beavers.
“But they have happened.”

Beaver attacks are pretty rare, but not as rare as I would have guessed.
Apparently, there have been about 11 or 12 beaver attacks in the U.S.
over the past decade. Almost all of them involved animals infected with
rabies. For comparison, there have been 445 shark attacks in the U.S.
over the same time span, 7 of them fatal.

The size and strength of beavers can be shocking to folks who have not
seen them up close. They can grow as long as 3-feet and weigh anywhere
between 35-80 pounds.

(I suspect that most attacks do not get 'properly' reported.
Because there is no clear authority to report them to.
Also most persons injured, would not be fond of discussing it.)