If time heals all wounds, how come the belly button stays the same?

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

SubjectAuthor
* (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterJames Nicoll
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterWilliam Hyde
|`- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterDavid Johnston
`* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterLynn McGuire
 `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterScott Lurndal
  +* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterJames Nicoll
  |`* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterDimensional Traveler
  | `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterRobert Carnegie
  |  `- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterDimensional Traveler
  +* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterLynn McGuire
  |`* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterMartin
  | `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterLynn McGuire
  |  `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterAhasuerus
  |   `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterLynn McGuire
  |    `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterJack Bohn
  |     `- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterAhasuerus
  `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterChristian Weisgerber
   `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winterted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
    `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterDavid Duffy
     `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterDavid Johnston
      +- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterJack Bohn
      `- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless WinterPaul S Person

1
(tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpmkje$edn$1@panix3.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83782&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83782

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
Date: 11 Jan 2023 15:28:46 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:28 UTC

Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
imagine five of them.

https://www.tor.com/2023/01/11/five-sff-worlds-threatened-by-endless-winter/

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<dad04ab8-cb78-4607-bd42-36b1ad76d063n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83795&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83795

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:16:15 -0800 (PST)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 23:16 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 10:28:50 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
>
> Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
> imagine five of them.

For some reason I find novels set on cold worlds to be particularly absorbing. Perhaps this is
a reflection of the winters I missed during my stay in Texas, and three of my four years in
North Carolina.

However, it's not easy to do this in a hard-sf way. If there's no water the place is uninhabitable,
if there is water it will probably become a snowball.

One possible solution is a slushball planet, where a deep tropical ocean stays ice free in an
area about the size of the North Atlantic. With just the right amount of sunlight the
rest of the planet will be ice covered. Not quite the same thing though. The temperature
on an island in this ocean might soar as high as 15C!

Another possible solution is to use a planet mainly warmed by infrared. Snow is black in
the IR, so there is no chance of a snowball. Karl Schroeder takes advantage of this
in "Permanence" but I cannot recall anyone else using it.

William Hyde

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpnhvn$11ujk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83796&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83796

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 17:50:14 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 23:50 UTC

On 1/11/2023 9:28 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
>
> Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
> imagine five of them.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/01/11/five-sff-worlds-threatened-by-endless-winter/

Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
book. The others, I have no idea.

John Varley's Thunder and Lightning series goes into depth about living
on Mars and the hardships thereof. In fact by 2060, most of the million
people living on Mars are living in air tight tents with an airlock and
a port-a-potty.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0441014887/

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpo2k1$bcm$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83802&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83802

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:34:09 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 04:34 UTC

On 2023-01-11 4:16 p.m., William Hyde wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 10:28:50 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
>>
>> Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
>> imagine five of them.
>
> For some reason I find novels set on cold worlds to be particularly absorbing. Perhaps this is
> a reflection of the winters I missed during my stay in Texas, and three of my four years in
> North Carolina.
>
> However, it's not easy to do this in a hard-sf way. If there's no water the place is uninhabitable,
> if there is water it will probably become a snowball.

Remember the Oxygen Catastrophe. If human-like aliens visited Earth
during that period the oceans would have frozen over but the air would
be breathable

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<NDXvL.296373$MVg8.16486@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83812&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83812

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:42:05 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:42 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>On 1/11/2023 9:28 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
>>
>> Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
>> imagine five of them.
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2023/01/11/five-sff-worlds-threatened-by-endless-winter/
>
>Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
>book.

To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10 which started
a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
his co-workers.

I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).

I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpph3b$8ar$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83813&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83813

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:47:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:47 UTC

In article <NDXvL.296373$MVg8.16486@fx12.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?

No, because my YP are busy and don't have time for novels.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tppha4$1rg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83814&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83814

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:50:59 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:50 UTC

On 1/12/2023 11:42 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 1/11/2023 9:28 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which winter never ends! Or in this case,
>>> imagine five of them.
>>>
>>> https://www.tor.com/2023/01/11/five-sff-worlds-threatened-by-endless-winter/
>>
>> Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
>> book.
>
> To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10 which started
> a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
> his co-workers.
>
> I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
> the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).
>
> I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?

Wasn't HSSWT serialized in Boy's Life magazine over several issues ?
James could serialize it for his young readers.

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<slrnts0m3p.sbk.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83818&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83818

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:59:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:59 UTC

On 2023-01-12, Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

>>Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
>>book.
>
> To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10 which started
> a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
> his co-workers.
>
> I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
> the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).

As are the admonishments that everybody should learn how to use a
slide rule and that you should learn Latin.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<k2b5tfFal8oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83820&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83820

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 12 Jan 2023 19:38:23 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 19:38 UTC

In article <slrnts0m3p.sbk.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2023-01-12, Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:
>
>>>Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
>>>book.
>>
>> To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10
>which started
>> a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
>> his co-workers.
>>
>> I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
>> the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).
>
>As are the admonishments that everybody should learn how to use a
>slide rule and that you should learn Latin.

Well, slide rules are obviously OBE, but the advice on Latin is either
as good or as bad now as it was at the time.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<4b68c7ad-c254-46a4-a6d9-91721a170c18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83822&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83822

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:24:47 -0800 (PST)
From: moore...@gmail.com (Martin)
 by: Martin - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 12:51:04 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/12/2023 11:42 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" is a great young adult
> >> book.
> >
> > To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10 which started
> > a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
> > his co-workers.
> >
> > I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
> > the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).
> >
> > I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?
> Wasn't HSSWT serialized in Boy's Life magazine over several issues ?
> James could serialize it for his young readers.
>
> Lynn

You might be thinking of Farmer In The Sky.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tppr4h$1c0ke$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83824&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83824

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:38:38 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:38 UTC

On 1/12/2023 2:24 PM, Martin wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 12:51:04 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> To our generation, perhaps. My father gave me a copy when I was 10 which started
>>> a lifelong science fiction (and science) addiction upon advice from one of
>>> his co-workers.
>>>
>>> I believe it to be a bit dated now (stocking
>>> the prescription painkillers in the space suit he bought, for example).
>>>
>>> I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?
>> Wasn't HSSWT serialized in Boy's Life magazine over several issues ?
>> James could serialize it for his young readers.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> You might be thinking of Farmer In The Sky.

I think that all of Heinlein's juveniles were serialized in a popular
magazine first: Boy's Life, The Saturday Evening Post, etc.

Then they were published as hardbacks, and then as MMPBs. All
individually auctioned by Heinlein's agent. Jerry Pournelle related
Heinlein's advice many times to them as he and Niven were getting started.

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpq01e$1cenb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83826&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83826

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:02:24 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 22:02 UTC

On 1/12/2023 9:47 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <NDXvL.296373$MVg8.16486@fx12.iad>,
> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?
>
> No, because my YP are busy and don't have time for novels.

Then what use are they?

dirty old man.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<32c77a5d-2b83-42f2-836b-2c3a824aee7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83827&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83827

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:49:19 -0800 (PST)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 22:49 UTC

On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
[snip-snip]
> I think that all of Heinlein's juveniles were serialized in a popular
> magazine first: Boy's Life, The Saturday Evening Post, etc. [snip]

Some were serialized in genre magazines, some were serialized in
popular fiction magazines and some weren't serialized at all -- see
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?29 for details.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<56d35f69-9e01-4101-afcd-e60634ea7f35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83828&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83828

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 15:46:26 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 23:46 UTC

On Thursday, 12 January 2023 at 22:02:26 UTC, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 1/12/2023 9:47 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > In article <NDXvL.296373$MVg8....@fx12.iad>,
> > Scott Lurndal <sl...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if James has done a young readers take on HSSWT?
> >
> > No, because my YP are busy and don't have time for novels.
> Then what use are they?

What use is a cranky old man? :-)

> --
> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
> dirty old man.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpq93j$1db7d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83829&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83829

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:37:07 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 00:37 UTC

On 1/12/2023 4:49 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [snip-snip]
>> I think that all of Heinlein's juveniles were serialized in a popular
>> magazine first: Boy's Life, The Saturday Evening Post, etc. [snip]
>
> Some were serialized in genre magazines, some were serialized in
> popular fiction magazines and some weren't serialized at all -- see
> https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?29 for details.

Ah, "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" was serialized in three issues of The
Magazine Of Fantasy And Science Fiction, starting in August 1958.
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?113394

Plus it was serialized in a French magazine and an Italian magazine.

Thanks !

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tpqper$1hhcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83833&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83833

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 21:16:14 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 05:16 UTC

On 1/12/2023 3:46 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 January 2023 at 22:02:26 UTC, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 1/12/2023 9:47 AM, James Nicoll wrote:

>>> No, because my YP are busy and don't have time for novels.
>> Then what use are they?
>
> What use is a cranky old man? :-)

I've already BEEN useful, I don't need to be anymore and don't see any
reason to over do it.

dirty old man.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<3759e0bb-3353-4891-9b28-7a903ddc89a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83835&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83835

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 05:56:55 -0800 (PST)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 13:56 UTC

On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 7:37:12 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/12/2023 4:49 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > [snip-snip]
> >> I think that all of Heinlein's juveniles were serialized in a popular
> >> magazine first: Boy's Life, The Saturday Evening Post, etc. [snip]
> >
> > Some were serialized in genre magazines, some were serialized in
> > popular fiction magazines and some weren't serialized at all -- see
> > https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?29 for details.
> Ah, "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" was serialized in three issues of The
> Magazine Of Fantasy And Science Fiction, starting in August 1958.
> https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?113394

https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?60991

Any comment about it being identified as a novel but not a juvenile on the cover?

Hey! What's C.S. Forester's name doing on the cover? Did they mistake him for E.M. Forster?
No, it seems he had a second string I hadn't heard about.
They seem to be mostly horror. No "Hornblower in Spaaaaaace!"

--
-Jack

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<d7403ec4-a263-4458-a4e8-62a4a1e21027n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83847&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83847

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 11:12:18 -0800 (PST)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 19:12 UTC

On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 8:56:58 AM UTC-5, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 7:37:12 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > On 1/12/2023 4:49 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> > > On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > > [snip-snip]
> > >
> > > Some were serialized in genre magazines, some were serialized in
> > > popular fiction magazines and some weren't serialized at all -- see
> > > https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?29 for details.
> > Ah, "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" was serialized in three issues of The
> > Magazine Of Fantasy And Science Fiction, starting in August 1958.
> > https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?113394
> https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?60991
>
> Any comment about it being identified as a novel but not a
> juvenile on the cover?

Well, they didn't identify "Starship Soldier" as a juvenile either --
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?61381 -- even though it
was originally written as a juvenile.

I suspect that "juvenile" may have been a bad match for their brand,
at least during the 1950s. After all, they were supposed to be the
adults in the room.

> Hey! What's C.S. Forester's name doing on the cover? Did
> they mistake him for E.M. Forster?
> No, it seems he had a second string I hadn't heard about.
> They seem to be mostly horror. No "Hornblower in
> Spaaaaaace!"

Horror, near future science fiction, utopia, alternative history, the
works -- see https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/forester_c_s for
details.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tptfrv$6tm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83863&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83863

From: david...@tpg.com.au (David Duffy)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 05:50:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Duffy - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 05:50 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnts0m3p.sbk.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>>
>>As are the admonishments that everybody should learn how to use a
>>slide rule and that you should learn Latin.
>
> Well, slide rules are obviously OBE, but the advice on Latin is either
> as good or as bad now as it was at the time.

Rowling started a Latin resurgence in universities down here ;)

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<tptj0a$12id$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83866&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83866

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:44:26 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 06:44 UTC

On 2023-01-13 10:50 p.m., David Duffy wrote:
> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>> In article <slrnts0m3p.sbk.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
>> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> As are the admonishments that everybody should learn how to use a
>>> slide rule and that you should learn Latin.
>>
>> Well, slide rules are obviously OBE, but the advice on Latin is either
>> as good or as bad now as it was at the time.
>
> Rowling started a Latin resurgence in universities down here ;)

So people can find out how bad her mock Latin is?

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<22823261-2308-49f9-9aef-aa416aba35c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83868&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83868

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 06:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 14:31 UTC

David Johnston wrote:
> On 2023-01-13 10:50 p.m., David Duffy wrote:
> > Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:

> >> Well, slide rules are obviously OBE, but the advice on Latin is either
> >> as good or as bad now as it was at the time.
> >
> > Rowling started a Latin resurgence in universities down here ;)
> So people can find out how bad her mock Latin is?

"In canis corporum transmutum."

--
-Jack

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Worlds Threatened by Endless Winter

<e5r5shhr4gk1kopavt8al138egc7b1hs7r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83885&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83885

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:56:24 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:56 UTC

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:44:26 -0700, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 2023-01-13 10:50 p.m., David Duffy wrote:
>> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:

>>> Well, slide rules are obviously OBE, but the advice on Latin is either
>>> as good or as bad now as it was at the time.
>>
>> Rowling started a Latin resurgence in universities down here ;)
>
>So people can find out how bad her mock Latin is?

I found figuring it out to be quite ... entertaining.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian