Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances. -- Herodotus

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Watch what you wish for — it might come true.

SubjectAuthor
* Watch what you wish for — it might come true.Boso deniro
`- Re: Watch what you wish for — it might come true.Dorothy J Heydt

1
Watch what you wish for — it might come true.

<5da8e3d4-027b-4e61-bfa9-86ba95cf26c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83803&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83803

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:49:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Watch_what_you_wish_for_—_it_might_come_true.
From: bosoded...@gmail.com (Boso deniro)
 by: Boso deniro - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 04:49 UTC

I wish I could find a writing partner here. I need the inspiration and guidance to keep on track. Is that wise or even practical? I think so. They say write about what you know. I know about bedbugs. Many years ago I thought I knew about AI and wrote a hackneyed theme about a cyborg with self-determination and finally had to abandon it cuz I had to admit to myself "so what else is new". More promising I discovered was the movie and book themes called "The Fly". Because a fly as an insect is neither predator nor prey on the vast insect spectrum considered pests, and as such are uniquely right in the middle of the spectrum, which relieves it from being neither a true parasite nor a predator, which also makes it the ideal subject for a new screenplay treatment and adaptation called, don't laugh, wait for it "The Bedbug!". The movies and books eponymously named "The Fly" were as funny as they were compelling. That's why an adaptation based on a true blood parasite that evolves as a gene-splicing horror story is what I believe would be just as compelling as The Fly if Jeff Goldblum was younger and could assume all the positions, tasks and duties of a lifesize pest as a bedbug with instead of those thick hairy stitches on his back would be the more subtle little adaptions in his mouth for gently aspirating blood into his abdomen and not getting rolled over on and squished into a bloody mess. Anybody want to hook up for a romp with me through gene-splicing hell and a Brundle Bedbug mash up? Let me know.

Re: Watch what you wish for — it might come true.

<roGMtK.1p4w@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=83859&group=rec.arts.sf.written#83859

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: Watch_what_you_wish_for_—_it_might_come_true.
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 05:20:08 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 05:20 UTC

In article <5da8e3d4-027b-4e61-bfa9-86ba95cf26c7n@googlegroups.com>,
Boso deniro <bosodediro@gmail.com> wrote:
>I wish I could find a writing partner here. I need the inspiration and
>guidance to keep on track. Is that wise or even practical? I think so.
>They say write about what you know. I know about bedbugs. Many years
>ago I thought I knew about AI and wrote a hackneyed theme about a cyborg
>with self-determination and finally had to abandon it cuz I had to admit
>to myself "so what else is new". More promising I discovered was the
>movie and book themes called "The Fly". Because a fly as an insect is
>neither predator nor prey on the vast insect spectrum considered pests,
>and as such are uniquely right in the middle of the spectrum, which
>relieves it from being neither a true parasite nor a predator, which
>also makes it the ideal subject for a new screenplay treatment and
>adaptation called, don't laugh, wait for it "The Bedbug!". The movies
>and books eponymously named "The Fly" were as funny as they were
>compelling. That's why an adaptation based on a true blood parasite
>that evolves as a gene-splicing horror story is what I believe would be
>just as compelling as The Fly if Jeff Goldblum was younger and could
>assume all the positions, tasks and duties of a lifesize pest as a
>bedbug with instead of those thick hairy stitches on his back would be
>the more subtle little adaptions in his mouth for gently aspirating
>blood into his abdomen and not getting rolled over on and squished into
>a bloody mess. Anybody want to hook up for a romp with me through
>gene-splicing hell and a Brundle Bedbug mash up? Let me know.

(Hal Heydt)
That's probably the oldest "come on" in rasf* groups. Used to be
phrased as "I've got a great idea for a book, but I need someone
to write it. I'll split the proceeds 50:50". The problem is
that the actually *writing* is the hard part. Ideas are what you
trip over on the sidewalk. Any writer has got far more ideas for
stories than she'll ever get to in multiple lifetimes.

So...what you really need to do (updating the language) is sit
down at the keyboard and *write*. It has been said that every
writer has a million bad words in them. So you need to write
those million bad words. Once those are out of the way, what you
write will be better. Possibly good enough to get published.

(*I* am *not* a writer. Never was. Never will be. Dorothy used
to point out that any ideas I had *might* be useful as story
elements, but they weren't enough to actually make a story.
Fortunately, she was a writer and a small few of my ideas were
useful to her and got incorporated in her works. I make no claim
of even a tiny fraction of authorship over those bits. She was
the one that put the words together to weave them into whatever
work she used them in.)