You work very hard. Don't try to think as well.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39

SubjectAuthor
* Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39Zobovor
`* Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THEJoseph Bardsley
 `* Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THESky Raider
  `- Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THEZobovor

1
Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39

<1c51fbaa-a041-49dc-941e-82b1abffa959n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8364&group=alt.toys.transformers#8364

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:13 UTC

THE TRANSFORMERS issue #39 is called "The Desert Island of Space!" The issue was printed on December 29, 1987 with a pull date of April 1988. The Delbo/Hunt front cover kind of gives away the big reveal of the issue, that the Decepticon island base is actually a spacecraft.  It shows the base rocketing through space and launching a missile that's piercing the body of Fortress Maximus, as Shockwave flies in for the kill.  "FORT MAX GETS THE SHAFT!" the cover promises.  Well, it's the end of 1987, so I guess it makes sense to start killing off the 1987 toys... or does it?

Bob Budiansky penned this issue, with José Delbo drawing the pencils, Dave Hunt inking the artwork, Bill Oakley lettering the word balloons, and of course Nel Yomtov coloring the art.

As our story opens, Buster Witwicky awakens on the Decepticon island base, after having been captured by Ratbat at the Predacon-infested shopping mall last issue.  Ratbat feels like it's a waste of energy to keep him alive, and balks when Shockwave takes the time to zap some fish so Buster has something to nibble on.  ("I hope you like your fuel poached," Shockwave says dryly, in one of his funniest lines, as he throws like five or six fish at Buster.) But, Shockwave points out that as long as they have Buster, the human naval fleet watching the island will not attack.  Forsythe is already on board one of the aircraft carriers, and is quickly joined by Walter Barnett via helicopter, who is carrying the Throttlebots' brains in his briefcase.  (I think Budiansky either forgot how many Throttlebot toys there were, or forgot that Goldbug is, himself, an honorary Throttlebot. Barnett keeps referring to six Autobot brain modules inside the toy R/C cars but that a seventh Autobot, Goldbug, has gone missing.  He should only have five Throttlebot brains, though, and Goldbug would have made a sixth one.)

Anyway, when Barnett spies Buster on the island with his binoculars, he realizes he needs to contact Sparkplug Witwicky and at least let him know his son is alive.  Sparkplug is currently residing at a motel, grousing about how he's now lost his home, his business, and of course his youngest son thanks to the Transformers.  Spike is there with him, and encourages his father to keep Barnett talking for a moment.  Barnett explains to Sparkplug that Buster's location is classified, but it quickly becomes a moot point.  Grabbing the telephone line in his hand, Spike is able to trace the call.

Wanting to know how Spike was able to do this, Sparkplug is shocked when Spike removes his trench coat to reveal that he's wearing a Headmaster exo-suit.  Spike reveals that the Autobots bio-mechanically engineered Spike's body so that he could transform into the head of Cerebros, who in turn transforms into the head of Fortress Maximus.  Spike summons them, having been hiding in the forest, along with the six Autobot Targetmasters.  Fortress Maximus takes a moment to explain how Spike's mind is mixed with the latent personality engrams of Fortress Maximus so that their personalities sort of fuse together.  He names the Targetmasters, one by one, and their respective Nebulan partners.  (Even Kup is growing tired of the product placement. He urges Fort Max to get to the point, but Fort Max is like, "Not so fast, Kup, I haven't finished naming all the Hasbro toys appearing in this issue.") From orbit, Steelhaven dispatches a smaller all-terrain turbo transport for Fortress Maximus and the Targetmasters.  Fortress Maximus vows to rescue Buster, and the group departs for the island.  Forsythe is about to blast the craft out of the sky until Rollbar pops out of the briefcase and tells them not to open fire, because it's got Autobot markings on it.

You can tell that José Delbo has some favorite poses that he likes to draw.  When the Autobots arrive on the island and pour out of the shuttle, the illustration of Crosshairs running out of the craft, weapon drawn, is the exact same size and pose as the drawing of Blaster from issue #36 when he's "running" through space.

Kup tells Fortress Maximus to stay behind and to let the Targetmasters handle the rescue.  Kup recognizes that Spike is still new to the team, and questions his judgment given his emotional attachment to Buster. It's interesting that Kup was chosen as the voice of reason to question Fortress Maximus.  It's a role he'll consistently play pretty much for the entire comic book, loudly questioning everybody else's command decisions pretty much right up until the final issue.

Beneath the island, we see the Decepticons have completed their preparations, having successfully transformed the base into a spaceworthy craft.  (This is the reason they were stealing fuel and building materials back in issue #37.)  As a point of interest, some of the Decepticons we see working inside the base include Kickback, Wildrider, Breakdown, either Rumble or Frenzy (everybody's the same color so it's hard to tell), Blast Off, Onslaught, Scavenger, Razorclaw, Soundwave, Shrapnel, Vortex, and Hook.  Weirdly, the Insecticons will eventually vanish from the comic book altogether, with zero explanation, and this is one of the last times we see them.  Also, both Rumble and Frenzy were deactivated by Omega Supreme, and the Autobots still have their bodies in storage, so it's a mistake for either of them to appear here.

The Autobots land and make their way through the island terrain, until automated weapons pop out of hidden compartments and unleash a barrage that repels the team.  They retreat and make their way back into the water, just in time for the Decepticon base to transform to rocket mode.  A glass dome emerges, covering the island, and the entire structure lifts off into the sky.  Recognizing that Buster is still on the island, Fortress Maximus takes a massive leap, grasping for the rocket as it is propelled into space.  The Targetmasters sit there flabbergasted at his unbridled heroism.

When the Decepticons detect that Fortress Maximus' excess weight is slowing down the craft, Shockwave activates the perimeter defenses, and a huge claw lifts Fort Max off the side of the craft and into space.  Then a missile launches from the island (the dome opens and somehow all the oxygen is not sucked into space and Buster does not die instantly... it's Blast Off and the Spacehikers all over again) and the projectile rips through Fort Max's upper body.  Cerebros detaches and goes to work, prompting Shockwave to fly into space and deal with him personally.  Shockwave blasts Cerebros, but luckily his head can also detach.  It's like the Cat in the Hat, where there's a smaller cat underneath his hat, and a smaller cat under *his* hat, all the way to infinity.  Spike manages to activate Fort Max's guns by radio control, zapping Shockwave, who had previously discounted Fort Max as being deactivated.

With his rockets damaged, Shockwave calculates that it's only logical that he will plummet towards Earth and burn to a crisp.  It's the end of Shockwave, effectively, at least for a good, long while.  He won't pop up again until Simon Furman takes the reins and starts bringing back all our favorite characters from the dead.  But, for now, Shockers is history..  Ratbat is none too disappointed to be rid of him, and with both Megatron and Shockwave gone, there is nobody left to challenge him for command of the earthbound Decepticons, at least for the forseeable future.

Spike is briefly reunited with Buster, through the plexiglass dome, but it's a short-lived moment as the island rockets away.  Spike is recovered by the Autobots.  (There's a scene where the damaged Cerebros body and Fortress Maximus body are in the background, and Cerebros is absolutely huge... like, his lower leg is the size of Pointblank.) Spike laments that he wrecked Fortress Maximus and didn't even get to save Buster for his efforts.  But, the Autobots, including Kup, accept Spike as a full member of the Autobots now, so that's something, at least.

Next issue promises the introduction of the Pretenders, our first 1988 toys!  Also something about Optimus Prime, but I'm sure that's just a tease.  It feels like we were just barely getting to know the 1987 characters, and yet they're already being made obsolete!

The letters page also features a submission from one Yvette Morgan, one of the longest and most thoughtful letters ever printed in the pages of Transmissions.  She's the one who wrote at length about Hero Syndrome and how it factors into the stories, and how a good, tragic, heroic sacrifice can make a story all the better.  It's always been one of the most memorable letters they printed, and it gave me plenty of food for thought.

Zob (can you believe we've been doing these comic book reviews since 2020?)

Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39

<3bfffa4f-c86f-4b78-a744-df15bf2f7144n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8377&group=alt.toys.transformers#8377

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:18:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE
TRANSFORMERS #39
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 04:18 UTC

On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 1:13:24 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> Next issue promises the introduction of the Pretenders, our first 1988 toys! Also something about Optimus Prime, but I'm sure that's just a tease. It feels like we were just barely getting to know the 1987 characters, and yet they're already being made obsolete!
>
> The letters page also features a submission from one Yvette Morgan, one of the longest and most thoughtful letters ever printed in the pages of Transmissions. She's the one who wrote at length about Hero Syndrome and how it factors into the stories, and how a good, tragic, heroic sacrifice can make a story all the better. It's always been one of the most memorable letters they printed, and it gave me plenty of food for thought.
>

> Zob (can you believe we've been doing these comic book reviews since 2020?)

Great review, Zob! I remember so many funny moments from this issue: Shockwave’s cooking of the fish, as well as his infamous “death” for many years.

I also remember Yvette’s letter, too. I wonder whatever became of her, and if she was ever active in the early days of the fandom.

Joseph

Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39

<24f80668-644a-419c-8df8-c07019fdcebdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8379&group=alt.toys.transformers#8379

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
TRANSFORMERS #39
From: rivervie...@gmail.com (Sky Raider)
 by: Sky Raider - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:03 UTC

Ah, we're finally up to an issue that I actually have (in one of the IDW reprinted volumes) so I can actually kind of participate from this point.

Kind of a so-so issue for me, Shockwave poaching the fish aside. Spike tracing the phone call with a touch is pretty cool too I guess. Spike's introdump for the targetmaster guns is REALLY heavy handed, even for this comic. The fact even Kup calls him on it as you pointed out indicates one of two things: either Budiansky was *extremely* self-aware and in on the joke, or not aware whatsoever. There's no middle ground at this point.

Since Rumble and Frenzy are supposed to be out of comission at this point, you could always say that extra cassette guy hanging around the base was Enemy. Everyone's in block coloring, so you can't really prove that he's not. ;=)

I do like Ratbat's "regret" at the loss of Shockwave. Nice and subtly sinister.

Looking forward to Pretender to the Throne next time...which was actually the first issue of the comic I got as a kid. Talk about getting started on a weird foot!

Re: Comics Reading Club: Zob's Thoughts on Marvel Comics THE TRANSFORMERS #39

<6694f9d1-d537-4541-9d85-8663a5cfd9d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8381&group=alt.toys.transformers#8381

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:35:42 -0700 (PDT)
TRANSFORMERS #39
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:35 UTC

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 7:03:53 AM UTC-6, Sky Raider wrote:

> Spike's introdump for the targetmaster guns is REALLY heavy handed, even for this comic. The fact even Kup calls him on it as you pointed out indicates one of two things: either Budiansky was *extremely* self-aware and in on the joke, or not aware whatsoever. There's no middle ground at this point..

Agreed. We know Budiansky was frustrated by Hasbro's meddling and their continual insistence that he introduce more and more waves of toys/characters into the mix. I think issues like these were a sign that he had just thrown his hands up and gave up trying to craft the kinds of stories he wanted to tell. Hasbro just wouldn't let him do it. Kup was likely a mouthpiece through which Budiansky could voice his frustrations.

> Since Rumble and Frenzy are supposed to be out of comission at this point, you could always say that extra cassette guy hanging around the base was Enemy. Everyone's in block coloring, so you can't really prove that he's not. ;=)

Kind of makes you wonder what happened to Reflector. He was part of Marvel Comics, albeit very briefly...

> I do like Ratbat's "regret" at the loss of Shockwave. Nice and subtly sinister.

Ratbat ends up getting his comeuppance in the end, of course. I loves me some Decepticons, but he's probably the only Decepticon leader I actively enjoyed seeing finally get taken down. He's a smug little bastard and he totally deserved it.

> Looking forward to Pretender to the Throne next time...which was actually the first issue of the comic I got as a kid. Talk about getting started on a weird foot!

Every single issue was *somebody's* first issue. I think that's one of the reasons why so many of the early issues were (largely) self-contained stories, because you could pick up issue #14 or #27 or whatever and have a complete mini-adventure in your hands. The episodic arcs were more Furman's thing, and while it rewarded longtime readers, it was frustrating sometimes how he'd have like six or seven sub-plots going, and every month each one of them would only advance by a few pages.

But, yes, starting off with Prime thinking he's a video game character is definitely a weird place to start!

Zob (is sometimes convinced we're all just living in one big simulation)