Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:25:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: R.I.P. Agustí Villaronga, 69, director of "Moon Chi
ld" (1989)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:25 UTC

From the IMDb, about "Moon Child":

"Adopted by a treacherous semi-scientific cult where extraordinary mental powers are common, extraordinary 12-year-old David begins an archetypal journey across two continents to find his destiny as Child of the Moon."

And, about "Black Bread":

"In the harsh post-war years' Catalan countryside, Andreu, a child that belongs to the losing side, finds the corpses of a man and his son in the forest. The authorities want his father to be made responsible of the deaths, but Andreu tries to help his father by finding out who truly killed them. In this search, Andreu develops a moral consciousness against a world of adults fed by lies. In order to survive, he betrays his own roots and ends up finding out the monster that lives within him."

(At least two of Villaronga's pre-2000 movies could be called horror films.)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0898063/

From Wikipedia:

"Agustí Villaronga Riutort (Catalan pronunciation: [əɣusˈti βiʎəˈɾoŋɡə]; 4 March 1953 – 22 January 2023) was a Spanish film director, screenwriter and actor. He directed several feature films, a documentary, three projects for television and three shorts. His film Moon Child was entered into the 1989 Cannes Film Festival.

"In 2011 he won the Goya Award for Best Director for Black Bread. The Catalan-language film was selected as the Spanish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards, but it did not make the final shortlist."

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.obituaries/c/E6NUA4XVmTo/m/Hziv33DgpSoJ
(2012 obituary post for the highly acclaimed author Emili Teixidor, who wrote the novel "Black Bread")

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2023/01/22/109745/mallorca-film-director-agusti-villaronga-has-died.html

By Andrew Ede.

One of the most important figures in Spain's film industry, Mallorcan director Agustí Villaronga, passed away on Sunday morning. He was 69 and had been suffering from cancer since 2021.

Also an actor, his first steps as as a filmmaker were with short films. His feature film debut was In a Glass Cage in 1986. Selected by the Berlin International Film Festival, it received great critical acclaim and a number of awards.

In 2011, he won Spain's top film award, the Goya Award for Best Director. This was for Black Bread.

On December 1 last year, Spain's ministry of culture awarded him the Gold Medal of Merit in the Fine Arts.

His work often dealt with themes related to the Spanish Civil War. This was the case with Black Bread and El Mar, a story set in Mallorca about three former childhood friends traumatised by the violence they had experienced.

Among the numerous tributes paid to him, President Armengol said that he was "one of the most important film creators in our history, who was recognised inside and outside the country". "Your work, talent and wisdom will remain. We will miss you."

Spain's minister of culture, Miquel Iceta, has described him as "a great phenomenon of Catalan cinema". "His work is still very much alive."

Fellow director Marcos Cabotà said "Agustí was a great global figure as well as the best director who has come out of our land, Mallorca. His art and his heart always went hand in hand. Maestro, I thank you for your teachings and for that last movie we watched together. I already miss you."

https://www.catalannews.com/culture/item/filmmaker-agusti-villaronga-director-of-pa-negre-dies-at-69
(this one's a bit longer and also in English)

https://www.google.com/search?q=agusti+villaronga+69&source=hp&ei=1IfNY6iuLOeLptQPtMORyAI&iflsig=AK50M_UAAAAAY82V5OQdvKRlMebs6f_a95gV1h_iKror&ved=0ahUKEwio6Pau7tv8AhXnhYkEHbRhBCkQ4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=agusti+villaronga+69&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANQAFgAYLwDaABwAHgAgAFhiAFhkgEBMZgBAKABAqABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1
(more obits, mostly in Catalan; a few are in Spanish)