From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 14:20:54 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:20 UTC

Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
https://dilbert.com/strip/2023-02-07

Heh ! So glad that I have a 20 foot by 19 foot office with a door.

Lynn

Re: Dilbert: Cubicle Rats

<trunnt$3tvm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84718&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84718

From: bcf...@cruzio.com (BCFD36)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:43:57 -0800
 by: BCFD36 - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:43 UTC

On 2/7/23 12:20, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
>    https://dilbert.com/strip/2023-02-07
>
> Heh ! So glad that I have a 20 foot by 19 foot office with a door.
>
> Lynn
When I started out at Sylvania (then Sylvania Systems Group, then
GTE/Sylvania, then GTE Government Systems) I had an office I shared with
another guy. Maybe 15x15, with a door. I was in that for about 10 years.
I was genuinely pissed off when I was later moved to a cubicle. Then I
was forever in a cubicle after that. At least it wasn't a big bullpen
like you had at the aerospace companies back in the day.

Now, if I do consulting, I use one of the mostly spare bedrooms. It has
a door, a bed, a teddy bear collections, and a variety of Disney
Princess dresses. No, I don't wear them. They were for my granddaughters
but they are getting a little old and a little too large for them.
--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Re: Dilbert: Cubicle Rats

<wXBEL.626356$iU59.278399@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84722&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84722

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 00:22:52 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:22 UTC

BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com> writes:
>On 2/7/23 12:20, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
>>    https://dilbert.com/strip/2023-02-07
>>
>> Heh ! So glad that I have a 20 foot by 19 foot office with a door.
>>
>> Lynn
>When I started out at Sylvania (then Sylvania Systems Group, then
>GTE/Sylvania, then GTE Government Systems) I had an office I shared with
>another guy. Maybe 15x15, with a door. I was in that for about 10 years.
>I was genuinely pissed off when I was later moved to a cubicle. Then I
>was forever in a cubicle after that. At least it wasn't a big bullpen
>like you had at the aerospace companies back in the day.

For me, it was a shared office for the first two years, then a
private office for four years, then a transfer to the bay area;
home of the cube farm. A few years later, at SGI, they assigned
offices to the programmers and cubes to the managers (and allowed
dogs at the office). Since, it's been a mix of offices, cubes
or more recently WFH.

Re: Dilbert: Cubicle Rats

<70856328-193a-41ec-8083-92ad2fcee539n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84752&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84752

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 06:23:31 -0800 (PST)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 14:23 UTC

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 7:22:56 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> writes:
> >On 2/7/23 12:20, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> Dilbert: Cubicle Rats
> >> https://dilbert.com/strip/2023-02-07
> >>
> >> Heh ! So glad that I have a 20 foot by 19 foot office with a door.
> >>
> >> Lynn
> >When I started out at Sylvania (then Sylvania Systems Group, then
> >GTE/Sylvania, then GTE Government Systems) I had an office I shared with
> >another guy. Maybe 15x15, with a door. I was in that for about 10 years.
> >I was genuinely pissed off when I was later moved to a cubicle. Then I
> >was forever in a cubicle after that. At least it wasn't a big bullpen
> >like you had at the aerospace companies back in the day.
> For me, it was a shared office for the first two years, then a
> private office for four years, then a transfer to the bay area;
> home of the cube farm. A few years later, at SGI, they assigned
> offices to the programmers and cubes to the managers (and allowed
> dogs at the office). Since, it's been a mix of offices, cubes
> or more recently WFH.

I too have had a mix of private and semi-private offices, and cubicles of
varying size and height. I've been working from home now for 3.5 years,
starting months before Covid. I don't expect to work in an office ever again.

But worst, by far, was the manager that insisted the team spend the
entire day sitting at a table in a conference room, staring at each other over
our laptops.

This 'team room' format is common at startups, since its cheap. Some managers
also insist that it 'fosters communication'. What it really fosters is the purchase
of sound-cancelling headphones, as each engineer tries not to get thrown out
of flow.

I hated it.

pt