"Say yur prayers, yuh flea-pickin' varmint!" -- Yosemite Sam

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What?s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

SubjectAuthor
* Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink YourLenona
+* Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way tLynn McGuire
|+* Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to ShrinkDes
||+- Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way tLynn McGuire
||`* Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to ShrinkDorothy J Heydt
|| `- Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"Scott Lurndal
|+- Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"Scott Lurndal
|`- Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What?s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"The Horny Goat
`* Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink YourMike Van Pelt
 `* Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way tLynn McGuire
  `- Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way tMike Van Pelt

1
Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<dd156909-4f9e-46d3-afa8-a4028bddb02en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84686&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84686

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 09:54:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink_Your
_Carbon_Footprint?"
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:54 UTC

From December, in the New York Times.

https://archive.is/1xu3n

(Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")

There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.

What was interesting was that while the author mentioned, BEFORE the quiz, how other online lists of recommendations might include not having children, that wasn't included in the quiz.

(My guess is that while he certainly wanted to make everyone aware of that choice, neither he or anyone else wants to promote it too loudly for fear of backlash - especially from those poor young people for whom parenthood is the only accomplishment in their lives. But then, why not phrase it as "have fewer children," when so many kids are still unplanned anyway?)

Aside from that, at the end, you DO get to see the actions that are most recommended by scientists. Though I would think that another somewhat important action - not in the quiz - would be "search for non-plastic packaging when buying goods." The first rule, after all, has always been "reduce," not "recycle."

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<truafb$3rn98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84702&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84702

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re:_Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_t
o_Shrink_Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:57:31 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:57 UTC

On 2/7/2023 11:54 AM, Lenona wrote:
> From December, in the New York Times.
>
> https://archive.is/1xu3n
>
> (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>
> There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.

The best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to stop breathing.
Otherwise, everything is a joke.

Humans are based on carbon. We exhale carbon with every breath.

Lynn

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<2a453edc-0733-40f1-9e32-c37e0e0eced0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84706&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84706

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 12:39:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink_
Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
From: desmondk...@gmail.com (Des)
 by: Des - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:39 UTC

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 7:57:35 PM UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 2/7/2023 11:54 AM, Lenona wrote:
> > From December, in the New York Times.
> >
> > https://archive.is/1xu3n
> >
> > (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
> >
> > There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.
>
> The best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to stop breathing.
> Otherwise, everything is a joke.
>
> Humans are based on carbon. We exhale carbon with every breath.
>
> Lynn

By far the best approach to a healthy life is to always use a flint glass umbrella to protect against acid rain, and never stand under the hole in the ozone layer. After taking these precautions against the precursors to the current concern, wear all steel shoes in the same spirit to avoid the possibility of leaving any carbon footprints whatsoever.

Des

Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<5pzEL.446899$Tcw8.252744@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84708&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84708

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: Re:_Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink_Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 21:29:37 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 21:29 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2/7/2023 11:54 AM, Lenona wrote:
>> From December, in the New York Times.
>>
>> https://archive.is/1xu3n
>>
>> (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>>
>> There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.
>
>The best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to stop breathing.
>Otherwise, everything is a joke.
>
>Humans are based on carbon. We exhale carbon with every breath.

While both statements are undoubtably factual, they don't have
anything whatsoever to do with carbon footprint; just the standard
carbon cycle. Which 150 years of fossil fuel exploitation has thrown
way out of whack.

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<trulju$3tfq5$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84714&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84714

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
o_Shrink_Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:07:41 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:07 UTC

On 2/7/2023 2:39 PM, Des wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 7:57:35 PM UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 2/7/2023 11:54 AM, Lenona wrote:
>>> From December, in the New York Times.
>>>
>>> https://archive.is/1xu3n
>>>
>>> (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>>>
>>> There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.
>>
>> The best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to stop breathing.
>> Otherwise, everything is a joke.
>>
>> Humans are based on carbon. We exhale carbon with every breath.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> By far the best approach to a healthy life is to always use a flint glass umbrella to protect against acid rain, and never stand under the hole in the ozone layer. After taking these precautions against the precursors to the current concern, wear all steel shoes in the same spirit to avoid the possibility of leaving any carbon footprints whatsoever.
>
> Des

You do know that steel is iron with carbon in it plus other trace
elements such as nickel and molybdenum. And optionally chromium to make
it stainless steel.

Lynn

Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<rpqHJB.1I0x@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84719&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84719

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: Re:_Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink_
Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:35:35 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:35 UTC

In article <2a453edc-0733-40f1-9e32-c37e0e0eced0n@googlegroups.com>,
Des <desmondkavanagh@gmail.com> wrote:
>By far the best approach to a healthy life is to always use a flint
>glass umbrella to protect against acid rain, and never stand under the
>hole in the ozone layer. After taking these precautions against the
>precursors to the current concern, wear all steel shoes in the same
>spirit to avoid the possibility of leaving any carbon footprints
>whatsoever.

(Hal Heydt)
Just a minor FYI...Steel is a Carbon/Iron alloy. No Carbon and
it's just Iron.

Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<zVBEL.626355$iU59.436459@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84721&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84721

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 00:20:47 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:20 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>In article <2a453edc-0733-40f1-9e32-c37e0e0eced0n@googlegroups.com>,
>Des <desmondkavanagh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>By far the best approach to a healthy life is to always use a flint
>>glass umbrella to protect against acid rain, and never stand under the
>>hole in the ozone layer. After taking these precautions against the
>>precursors to the current concern, wear all steel shoes in the same
>>spirit to avoid the possibility of leaving any carbon footprints
>>whatsoever.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Just a minor FYI...Steel is a Carbon/Iron alloy. No Carbon and
>it's just Iron.

And it's unlikely that steel will "shed" carbon as you walk,
so steel shoes should prevent one from leaving carbon footprints :-)

(leaving aside the massive carbon hit from making the steel in
in the first place..)

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<trv4aq$h5d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84732&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84732

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink_Your
_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 03:18:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 03:18 UTC

In article <dd156909-4f9e-46d3-afa8-a4028bddb02en@googlegroups.com>,
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>From December, in the New York Times.
>
>https://archive.is/1xu3n
>
>(Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>
>There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only
>thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the
>second-hand books I buy for little relatives.

What I've done:

When I moved to Texas, I saw that I could have my pick of elecric power
generating companies.

Step 1: Are there any nuclear power plants in Texas? Yes. Just one, alas.
Step 2: Which power company generates power using that plant?
Step 3: Sign up with that company.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<trv89q$16ro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84735&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84735

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
o_Shrink_Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:26:33 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 04:26 UTC

On 2/7/2023 9:18 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <dd156909-4f9e-46d3-afa8-a4028bddb02en@googlegroups.com>,
> Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>From December, in the New York Times.
>>
>> https://archive.is/1xu3n
>>
>> (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>>
>> There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only
>> thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the
>> second-hand books I buy for little relatives.
>
> What I've done:
>
> When I moved to Texas, I saw that I could have my pick of elecric power
> generating companies.
>
> Step 1: Are there any nuclear power plants in Texas? Yes. Just one, alas.
> Step 2: Which power company generates power using that plant?
> Step 3: Sign up with that company.

There are two nuclear power plants in Texas. Each plant has two nuclear
power generating units. Comanche Peak Steam Electric Station (I worked
there for one day in 1984 applying for a reactor operating engineer job):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche_Peak_Nuclear_Power_Plant
and South Texas Project (STP):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Texas_Nuclear_Generating_Station

Lynn

Re: Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<ts16b6$bigi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84796&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84796

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Re:_Semi-OT:_"Quiz:_What’s_the_Best_Way_t
o_Shrink_Your_Carbon_Footprint?"
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 22:05:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: mike@Mike-Laptop.localdomain (Mike-Laptop)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 22:05 UTC

In article <trv89q$16ro$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I moved to Texas, I saw that I could have my pick of elecric power
>> generating companies.
>>
>> Step 1: Are there any nuclear power plants in Texas? Yes. Just one, alas.
>> Step 2: Which power company generates power using that plant?
>> Step 3: Sign up with that company.
>
>There are two nuclear power plants in Texas. Each plant has two nuclear
>power generating units. Comanche Peak Steam Electric Station (I worked
>there for one day in 1984 applying for a reactor operating engineer job):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche_Peak_Nuclear_Power_Plant
>and South Texas Project (STP):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Texas_Nuclear_Generating_Station

Ah. Somehow, my Google search at the time missed the South Texas one.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston

Re: Semi-OT: "Quiz: What?s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

<bvb8uhpp553po206mf86l3tp8o0fhuk5v9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84811&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84811

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 15:28:23 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 23:28 UTC

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:57:31 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/7/2023 11:54 AM, Lenona wrote:
>> From December, in the New York Times.
>>
>> https://archive.is/1xu3n
>>
>> (Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")
>>
>> There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.
>
>The best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to stop breathing.
>Otherwise, everything is a joke.
>
>Humans are based on carbon. We exhale carbon with every breath.

I will some day. Mercifully not just yet. And my extended family is
down 3 bodies in the past 12 months so we've done our bit.