From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:47:32 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 22:47 UTC

"Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by
Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Search-Perry-Rhodan-60/dp/4416460430/

Book number sixty of a series of one hundred and thirty-six space opera
books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets, number
in the thousands. The English books started with two translated German
stories per book translated by Wendayne Ackerman and transitioned to one
story per book with the sixth book. And then they transition back to
two stories in book #109/110. The Ace publisher dropped out at #118, so
Forrest and Wendayne Ackerman published books #119 to #136 in pamphlets
before stopping in 1978. The German books were written from 1961 to
present time, having sold two billion copies and even recently been
rebooted again. I read the well printed and well bound book published
by Ace in 1974 that I had to be very careful with due to age. I bought
an almost complete box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that
I am finally getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The
Great Flood of 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #106, plus the
Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 68 of the German pamphlets written in
1962. There is a very good explanation of the plot in German on the
Perrypedia German website of all of the PR books. There is automatic
Google translation available for English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese,
French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Hetzjagd_durch_die_Dimensionen

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over sixty-nine years since then and the Solar Empire
has flourished with tens of millions of people and many spaceships
headquartered in the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania. Perry Rhodan
has been elected by the people of Earth to be the World Administrator.

It has been almost 62 years since Perry Rhodan and Reginald Bull found
the Immortal living on his wandering planet who gave them the immortal
cell treatment. It is time for them to renew the cell treatment but,
the wandering planet is not where they computed it to be ! But, there
is evidence that the wandering planet has been stolen by the Druufs, the
time thieves who are stealing the populations of entire star systems.
So Perry and Reg go looking for the wandering planet in the Druuf time
plane.

Two observations:
1. Forrest Ackerman should have put two or three of the translated
stories in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked
out well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would
never allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20230216a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85177&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85177

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 02:02:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 02:02 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

> It has been almost 62 years since Perry Rhodan and Reginald Bull found
> the Immortal living on his wandering planet who gave them the immortal
> cell treatment. It is time for them to renew the cell treatment but,
> the wandering planet is not where they computed it to be ! But, there
> is evidence that the wandering planet has been stolen by the Druufs, the
> time thieves who are stealing the populations of entire star systems.
> So Perry and Reg go looking for the wandering planet in the Druuf time
> plane.

Celestial mathematical detour:

"If we can find out when the disturbance started, we can calculate
the course taken by Wanderer."
"Oh-ho!" exclaimed Atlan with a raised brow. "That takes about
26 equations with 27 unknowns. That's a 3-body problem that
would cause a mathematical genius to tear out his hair."
Rhodan smiled, pointing to the switch-panel of the
positronicon. "So let it start tearing its hair..."

<https://www.askamathematician.com/2011/10/q-what-is-the-three-body-problem/>

The alien sea cows captured my imagination...

Against a purple-red background glows a green sun orbited by Planeten
Solitude. Scattered on its surface are caves. Each holds six spooky
subterranean metal coffins. The caskets contain an alien sea cow
creature chopped up into a half a dozen pieces. The alien creature can
cope with the cuts. It simply splices itself back together when its
disjoint pieces are placed into physical proximity with each other.
Solitude's sea cows are gifted with atypically active astral bodies.
The Druufs partition sea cows in order to anchor alien astral bodies for
exploitation.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tsn5fv$3hv6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85191&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85191

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 00:05:50 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:05 UTC

On 2/16/2023 8:02 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> It has been almost 62 years since Perry Rhodan and Reginald Bull found
>> the Immortal living on his wandering planet who gave them the immortal
>> cell treatment. It is time for them to renew the cell treatment but,
>> the wandering planet is not where they computed it to be ! But, there
>> is evidence that the wandering planet has been stolen by the Druufs, the
>> time thieves who are stealing the populations of entire star systems.
>> So Perry and Reg go looking for the wandering planet in the Druuf time
>> plane.
>
> Celestial mathematical detour:
>
> "If we can find out when the disturbance started, we can calculate
> the course taken by Wanderer."
> "Oh-ho!" exclaimed Atlan with a raised brow. "That takes about
> 26 equations with 27 unknowns. That's a 3-body problem that
> would cause a mathematical genius to tear out his hair."
> Rhodan smiled, pointing to the switch-panel of the
> positronicon. "So let it start tearing its hair..."
>
> <https://www.askamathematician.com/2011/10/q-what-is-the-three-body-problem/>
>

> The alien sea cows captured my imagination...
>
> Against a purple-red background glows a green sun orbited by Planeten
> Solitude. Scattered on its surface are caves. Each holds six spooky
> subterranean metal coffins. The caskets contain an alien sea cow
> creature chopped up into a half a dozen pieces. The alien creature can
> cope with the cuts. It simply splices itself back together when its
> disjoint pieces are placed into physical proximity with each other.
> Solitude's sea cows are gifted with atypically active astral bodies.
> The Druufs partition sea cows in order to anchor alien astral bodies for
> exploitation.
>
> Danke,

I am really enjoying Atlan in the series. He seems to be part comic
relief and part superhero.

The imagination of the four ??? authors of Perry Rhodan at this point
generates a tremendous amount of imagination betweenst the bunch of
them. In fact, it really makes the novellas somewhat inconsistent
because they all wrote in different directions. I still like Clark
Darlton (Walter Ernsting) the best.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ernsting

Lynn

Re: "Dimension Search (Perry Rhodan #60)" by Kurt Mahr, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20230217a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85205&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85205

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:32:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:32 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> It has been almost 62 years since Perry Rhodan and Reginald Bull found
>>> the Immortal living on his wandering planet who gave them the immortal
>>> cell treatment. It is time for them to renew the cell treatment but,
>>> the wandering planet is not where they computed it to be ! But, there
>>> is evidence that the wandering planet has been stolen by the Druufs, the
>>> time thieves who are stealing the populations of entire star systems.
>>> So Perry and Reg go looking for the wandering planet in the Druuf time
>>> plane.
>>
>> Celestial mathematical detour:
>>
>> "If we can find out when the disturbance started, we can calculate
>> the course taken by Wanderer."
>> "Oh-ho!" exclaimed Atlan with a raised brow. "That takes about
>> 26 equations with 27 unknowns. That's a 3-body problem that
>> would cause a mathematical genius to tear out his hair."
>> Rhodan smiled, pointing to the switch-panel of the
>> positronicon. "So let it start tearing its hair..."
>>
>> <https://www.askamathematician.com/2011/10/q-what-is-the-three-body-problem/
>

>> The alien sea cows captured my imagination...
>>
>> Against a purple-red background glows a green sun orbited by Planeten
>> Solitude. Scattered on its surface are caves. Each holds six spooky
>> subterranean metal coffins. The caskets contain an alien sea cow
>> creature chopped up into a half a dozen pieces. The alien creature can
>> cope with the cuts. It simply splices itself back together when its
>> disjoint pieces are placed into physical proximity with each other.
>> Solitude's sea cows are gifted with atypically active astral bodies.
>> The Druufs partition sea cows in order to anchor alien astral bodies for
>> exploitation.
>
> I am really enjoying Atlan in the series. He seems to be part comic
> relief and part superhero.
>
> The imagination of the four ??? authors of Perry Rhodan at this point
> generates a tremendous amount of imagination betweenst the bunch of
> them. In fact, it really makes the novellas somewhat inconsistent
> because they all wrote in different directions. I still like Clark
> Darlton (Walter Ernsting) the best.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ernsting

Of all Autoren, my current favorite is Voltz, who won "worst novel of
the year" with his debut, non-PR, sfnal story. Some readers find his
fourth PR novella a little disturbing - due to its dubious device used
for alien nasal hygiene, no doubt. LOL. It's illustrated atop Crest on
the cover: <https://www.perrypedia.de/mediawiki/images/a/a1/PR0099.jpg>
PR's story arcs initially lasted for about two to five consecutive
novellas. On the other hand, Cardiff's super-arc randomly reappears,
without resolution.
Die Autoren agreeably avail themselves of loose ends in the wake of
denouements. Readers never know when an abandoned element will
re-appear to take center stage.

In the preface to the 200th novella, Scheer confirms Christian's
commentary about PR's surprising "sleeper" success:

Dear Perry Rhodan friends!
Nobody who years ago took up and read the first Perry Rhodan
novel, whether on the basis of a friend’s recommendation, an
announcement in an SF Fanzine or in SF publications of the
MOEWIG publishing house, or for any other reason, would have
thought that this cycle would reach such a milestone.
Even those experienced in the world of publishing and the
authors themselves had not thought that Perry Rhodan would from
its baptism be so well received and would even be translated
into foreign languages.
Everyone working on the Perry Rhodan team looks forward with
not a little pride to the further success of the series.
If you, dear reader, still faithfully love Perry, then don't
stand to one side, let us know your suggestions and do not hold
back from criticisims, then still more anniversary issues might
follow after this volume.
Cordial thanks and friendly greetings!

The 200th novella opens the "Masters of the Island" Zyklus. The early
subsequent stories sort of lay down the ground rules of important
elements (eg characters, settings, ...) readers can expect to see.

Danke,