Be careful! UGLY strikes 9 out of 10!

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

SubjectAuthor
* (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by JJames Nicoll
+* Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls,Jack Bohn
|`- Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls,Robert Carnegie
`* Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) Default User
 `* Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `- Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) Scott Lurndal

1
(tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<ttfpg1$jgt$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85553&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85553

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:14:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:14 UTC

Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

Transported to a planet-sized alien artifact, travellers are
compelled to walk from one end to the other in a bid to save
the universe from a megalomaniac.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nobody-callin-on-the-phone

Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<0fd0a319-93e2-4095-b736-c17ca8414602n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85585&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85585

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:36:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls,
volume 1) by Jack Chalker
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:36 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nobody-callin-on-the-phone

I read the first book, which came to a satisfactory enough conclusion. I may have read the second. Did it not quite conclude enough to be self-contained? Nevertheless, despite my brother owning the first five, and testifying that the fifth brought the series to a satisfactory enough conclusion, I did not continue.

Nathan Brazil's mind got embodied in a deer? In 1977? In the early months of 1976, (as I found out later) in a Marvel Comics series, a supervillain had his brain surgically implanted in a hero's body. Other heroes magically transplanted a civilian's mind into the hero's body, displacing the villain into a deer. The deer escaped, complicating the plan to have the civilian impersonate the villain impersonating the hero and recover the original brain of the hero. I will posit a coincidence, if granting a somewhat large number of mind-transfer stories for details to repeat. Something in the air back then? (Or, given the times, something in the water?)

--
-Jack

Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<37d79f77-3155-4688-8a5e-8a1b65a258fbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85589&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85589

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:20:47 -0800 (PST)
volume 1) by Jack Chalker
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 23:20 UTC

On Sunday, 26 February 2023 at 21:36:03 UTC, Jack Bohn wrote:
> James Nicoll wrote:
> > Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker
> >
> > https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nobody-callin-on-the-phone
>
> I read the first book, which came to a satisfactory enough conclusion. I may have read the second. Did it not quite conclude enough to be self-contained? Nevertheless, despite my brother owning the first five, and testifying that the fifth brought the series to a satisfactory enough conclusion, I did not continue.
>
> Nathan Brazil's mind got embodied in a deer? In 1977? In the early months of 1976, (as I found out later) in a Marvel Comics series, a supervillain had his brain surgically implanted in a hero's body. Other heroes magically transplanted a civilian's mind into the hero's body, displacing the villain into a deer. The deer escaped, complicating the plan to have the civilian impersonate the villain impersonating the hero and recover the original brain of the hero. I will posit a coincidence, if granting a somewhat large number of mind-transfer stories for details to repeat. Something in the air back then? (Or, given the times, something in the water?)

Well. <https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Defenders_Vol_1_31>
Marvel's deer is a juvenile - when the story starts, anyway.
"The fate of Bambi is unknown." But as of 2023, Marvel is a
Disney company. And they already brought back Hellcow...

Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<tv3bth$2b6pb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86523&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86523

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 03:41:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 03:41 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:

>Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1)
>by Jack Chalker
>
>Transported to a planet-sized alien artifact, travellers are
>compelled to walk from one end to the other in a bid to save
>the universe from a megalomaniac.

I read all of them. It had of course many the trademark Chalker tropes.
Once some of us on rec.arts.comics.strips were kind of joking about
some those, not realizing that regular newsgroup participant Eva
Whitley was Jack's wife. She wasn't happy about that. The discussion I
mean.

Brian

Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<k7krhsF1bl8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86525&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86525

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 18 Mar 2023 04:04:12 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 04:04 UTC

In article <tv3bth$2b6pb$1@dont-email.me>,
Default User <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll wrote:
>
>>Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1)
>>by Jack Chalker
>>
>>Transported to a planet-sized alien artifact, travellers are
>>compelled to walk from one end to the other in a bid to save
>>the universe from a megalomaniac.
>
>I read all of them. It had of course many the trademark Chalker tropes.
>Once some of us on rec.arts.comics.strips were kind of joking about
>some those, not realizing that regular newsgroup participant Eva
>Whitley was Jack's wife. She wasn't happy about that. The discussion I
>mean.
>

>Brian

I liked WOS, there was enough going on there that Chalker being Chalker
was just one aspect of the story. I'd call it his best work.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: (tears) Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1) by Jack Chalker

<PfkRL.1885952$vBI8.1624735@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86530&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86530

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:53:35 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:53 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>In article <tv3bth$2b6pb$1@dont-email.me>,
>Default User <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>James Nicoll wrote:
>>
>>>Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well of Souls, volume 1)
>>>by Jack Chalker
>>>
>>>Transported to a planet-sized alien artifact, travellers are
>>>compelled to walk from one end to the other in a bid to save
>>>the universe from a megalomaniac.
>>
>>I read all of them. It had of course many the trademark Chalker tropes.
>>Once some of us on rec.arts.comics.strips were kind of joking about
>>some those, not realizing that regular newsgroup participant Eva
>>Whitley was Jack's wife. She wasn't happy about that. The discussion I
>>mean.
>>

>>Brian
>
>I liked WOS, there was enough going on there that Chalker being Chalker
>was just one aspect of the story. I'd call it his best work.

I also liked it, although the only two that I tend to re-read are
WOS and TRoNB. I really wish he'd done an entire novel about
Mavra and Obie bouncing around the universe - extending the first
part of TRoNB before the fools started the process of destroying
the universe.