From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.isaac-asimov
Subject: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 05:09:34 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 05:09 UTC

Note the "suicide" was in May, 2021, but just came into
news coverage this week 'cuz lawsuits

[Associated Press]

Family sues after nuclear physicist's death in Virginia jail

Falls Church, VA - The family of a nuclear physicist who died by suicide
in a Virginia jail is suing the U.S. government after his psychotropic
medicine was discontinued and he was denied admission to a federal medical
prison.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in federal court on behalf of Christopher
Lapp's 16-year-old daughter alleges that a series of errors by prison
officials, federal marshals, prosecutors and physicians contributed to
Lapp's 2021 death.
Lapp, who was 62 when he died, had multiple degrees, including a Ph.D.
from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His father, Ralph Lapp,
was a scientist who worked on the Manhattan Project.
Lapp hanged himself in his jail cell in May 2021, roughly a month after he
had pleaded guilty. He left a behind a note for his daughter, writing that
"some bad people have been after me for a while. I have been trying to
determine who they are but things are not good. It is better for everyone
if I am not around so they can't harm others."
=======
rest:
https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/christopher-lapp-family-sues-nuclear-physicists-death-in-virginia-jail

[a] "Breeds there a Man..."

dannyb@panix.com

Re: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]

<ttjbs3$3c8sh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85650&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85650

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.isaac-asimov
Subject: Re: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:46:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:46 UTC

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2302260505040.25986@panix3.panix.com>,
danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>Note the "suicide" was in May, 2021, but just came into
>news coverage this week 'cuz lawsuits
>
>[Associated Press]
>
>Family sues after nuclear physicist's death in Virginia jail
>
>Falls Church, VA - The family of a nuclear physicist who died by suicide
>in a Virginia jail is suing the U.S. government after his psychotropic
>medicine was discontinued and he was denied admission to a federal medical
>prison.

Bank robbery and carjacking. That is *not* what I was expecting
when I googled this. (He apparently had serious mental health issues.)

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]

<ttjcb4$9vi$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85652&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85652

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.isaac-asimov
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:54:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:54 UTC

In <ttjbs3$3c8sh$2@dont-email.me> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> writes:

>In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2302260505040.25986@panix3.panix.com>,
>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>[Associated Press]
>>
>>Family sues after nuclear physicist's death in Virginia jail
>>
>>Falls Church, VA - The family of a nuclear physicist who died by suicide
>>in a Virginia jail is suing the U.S. government after his psychotropic
>>medicine was discontinued and he was denied admission to a federal medical
>>prison.

>Bank robbery and carjacking. That is *not* what I was expecting
>when I googled this. (He apparently had serious mental health issues.)

Well, if you were bumping against the alien (as in extra
terrestrial) mind control rings, you'd have problems, too..

dannyb@panix.com

Re: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]

<6hjLL.1688555$GNG9.191814@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85688&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85688

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.isaac-asimov
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:52:18 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:52 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:54:28 +0000, danny burstein wrote:

> In <ttjbs3$3c8sh$2@dont-email.me> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com>
> writes:
>
>>In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2302260505040.25986@panix3.panix.com>,
>>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>>[Associated Press]
>>>
>>>Family sues after nuclear physicist's death in Virginia jail
>>>
>>>Falls Church, VA - The family of a nuclear physicist who died by
>>>suicide in a Virginia jail is suing the U.S. government after his
>>>psychotropic medicine was discontinued and he was denied admission to a
>>>federal medical prison.
>
>>Bank robbery and carjacking. That is *not* what I was expecting when I
>>googled this. (He apparently had serious mental health issues.)
>
> Well, if you were bumping against the alien (as in extra terrestrial)
> mind control rings, you'd have problems, too..

It turns out that this story has several rabbit holes to go down
that I'm resisting for the moment. The mention that his father,
Ralph Lapp, worked on the Manhattan Project seemed gratuitous,
for example. Look him up, and you'll find that Wikipedia calls him
a physicist, but his output of books makes him seem more like a
journalist. One of them, "Man and Space: The Next Decade" is in
the isfdb. As for the son, there seems to have been no news
coverage of his offenses or prosecution before his suicide.

Re: As life imitates Isaac Asimov, again [a]

<phesvhdk2dcu713n0to8903mglplj7hmmv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85707&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85707

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.isaac-asimov
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 09:30:50 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:30 UTC

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:52:18 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:54:28 +0000, danny burstein wrote:
>
>> In <ttjbs3$3c8sh$2@dont-email.me> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com>
>> writes:

>>>Bank robbery and carjacking. That is *not* what I was expecting when I
>>>googled this. (He apparently had serious mental health issues.)
>>
>> Well, if you were bumping against the alien (as in extra terrestrial)
>> mind control rings, you'd have problems, too..
>
>It turns out that this story has several rabbit holes to go down
>that I'm resisting for the moment. The mention that his father,
>Ralph Lapp, worked on the Manhattan Project seemed gratuitous,
>for example. Look him up, and you'll find that Wikipedia calls him
>a physicist, but his output of books makes him seem more like a
>journalist. One of them, "Man and Space: The Next Decade" is in
>the isfdb. As for the son, there seems to have been no news
>coverage of his offenses or prosecution before his suicide.

Perhaps he was in so deep that his very /existence/ was classified.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian