Lookie, lookie, here comes cookie... -- Stephen Sondheim

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

SubjectAuthor
* “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventionLynn McGuire
+* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your-dsr-
|+- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventAndrew McDowell
|`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventAndrew McDowell
| +* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From YourJoe Pfeiffer
| |`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventAndrew McDowell
| | `* Re: Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventDorothy J Heydt
| |  `* Re: Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. WilliamScott Lurndal
| |   +* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From YourJoe Pfeiffer
| |   |`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventAndrew McDowell
| |   | +* Re: Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventJames Nicoll
| |   | |`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From YourJoe Pfeiffer
| |   | | `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventKevrob
| |   | |  `* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WilliaWolfFan
| |   | |   `- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventKevrob
| |   | `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventRobert Carnegie
| |   |  `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From YourJoe Pfeiffer
| |   |   `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventRobert Carnegie
| |   |    +- Re: "When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention" by Michael Z. WilliamsonPaul S Person
| |   |    `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From YourJoe Pfeiffer
| |   |     `* Re: “When You Should BaPaul S Person
| |   |      `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventRobert Carnegie
| |   |       +- Re: “When You Should BaPaul S Person
| |   |       `- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventRobert Carnegie
| |   `- Re: Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConAndrew McDowell
| `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventKevrob
|  `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
|   `- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
+- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventRoss Presser
+- Re: ?When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention? by Michael Z. WilliamsonThe Horny Goat
`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventHamish Laws
 `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. WilliamsJaimie Vandenbergh
  `* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WillWolfFan
   +* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventHamish Laws
   |+* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WilliWolfFan
   ||`* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
   || `* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WilliWolfFan
   ||  `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
   ||   `* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WilliWolfFan
   ||    +* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
   ||    |`- Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WilliWolfFan
   ||    `- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConvDimensional Traveler
   |`- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
   `* Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. WillThe Horny Goat
    `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Conventpete...@gmail.com
     `* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
      +* Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
      |`- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc
      `- Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your ConventQuadibloc

Pages:12
Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson

<8ca161f1-1da6-4c82-aebd-740c62b609dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=84970&group=rec.arts.sf.written#84970

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:08:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_“When_You_Should_Ban_Someone_From_Your_Convent
ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 18:08 UTC

On Monday, 13 February 2023 at 16:20:50 UTC, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:52:41 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
> <pfei...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>
> >Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> writes:

> >> Hoppy Uniatz. Now I look, there's also a valet in early
> >> stories. <https://saint.fandom.com/wiki/Simon_Templar>
> >>
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(1997_film)>
> >> describes a scene from his childhood, without explaining
> >> any connection to the rest of the story, except that he
> >> is at what I take to be a Roman Catholic orphanage, and
> >> in this version, he goes on to use names of "saints" as
> >> criminal aliases, with "Simon Templar" also being such
> >> an alias. And a girl dies. The page says that in a draft
> >> before the film was actually made, his later love interest is
> >> murdered by a bad guy and Simon is very angry about that.
> >> So maybe the point was meant to be that that early tragedy
> >> formed his character to be an avenger of women But they
> >> took the part out where he did that?
> >
> >And of course that movie was decades after anything written Leslie
> >Charteris, to it seems to me like it doesn't really count.
> It would surely have been based, to the extent it had anything to do
> with what had gone before, on the TV show.
>
> It is an echo of an adaptation.
>
> I enjoy watching it, BTW, every time it comes up in rotation. I never
> really "got" the TV show. Same for /The A-Team/; well, where else can
> you see guys flying a tank?

<https://saint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Saint_in_Films>
in fact starts in 1938. Not recorded there is a "TV movie"
of 2017, which user reviews on IMDB describe as a pilot
for a TV series revival.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(radio_program)>
meanwhile overlooks the fan site's claim that "Radio Athlone",
the one in Ireland presumably, had a "Saint" show in 1940.

The Saint on the page sometime complains about
Leslie Charteris's writing, but it often is /not/
Leslie Charteris writing - I gather - when his name
is on the cover.

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson

<irenuh1i2usnvt13uv3425js9ukfkn83k3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85028&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85028

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: “When_You_Should_Ba
n_Someone_From_Your
_Convention”_by_Mic
hael_Z._Williamson
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:56:38 -0800
References: <rpoGos.ELM@kithrup.com> <zAeEL.1039064$GNG9.473597@fx18.iad> <1bpmamb7ka.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net> <a25c1581-fc4c-4c94-8da2-3ee168a2f0ddn@googlegroups.com> <0f30d584-d533-4d8f-93b7-e6330ce4128bn@googlegroups.com> <1b7cwrbfkm.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net> <53e2d86d-fb08-4a92-b8c5-f498885eec00n@googlegroups.com> <1bbklyakrq.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net> <ulokuhd75c7lep5vq9bmhrfuihqs2tdvka@4ax.com> <8ca161f1-1da6-4c82-aebd-740c62b609dan@googlegroups.com>
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:56 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:08:32 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 13 February 2023 at 16:20:50 UTC, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:52:41 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
>> <pfei...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:

>> >And of course that movie was decades after anything written Leslie
>> >Charteris, to it seems to me like it doesn't really count.
>> It would surely have been based, to the extent it had anything to do
>> with what had gone before, on the TV show.
>>
>> It is an echo of an adaptation.
>>
>> I enjoy watching it, BTW, every time it comes up in rotation. I never
>> really "got" the TV show. Same for /The A-Team/; well, where else can
>> you see guys flying a tank?
>
><https://saint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Saint_in_Films>
>in fact starts in 1938. Not recorded there is a "TV movie"
>of 2017, which user reviews on IMDB describe as a pilot
>for a TV series revival.
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(radio_program)>
>meanwhile overlooks the fan site's claim that "Radio Athlone",
>the one in Ireland presumably, had a "Saint" show in 1940.
>
>The Saint on the page sometime complains about
>Leslie Charteris's writing, but it often is /not/
>Leslie Charteris writing - I gather - when his name
>is on the cover.

That's nice.

My mom was a big fan of the TV series. She was ecstatic when Roger
Moore became James Bond.

And it gives me a chance to add /The Fugitive/ as a movie I enjoy
every time I see it based on a series I didn't much care for.

As opposed to /Mission: Impossible/, which produced a surprising
amount of nostalgia for a series that really let me down in its third
season at the start, but then degenerated into a common (very common)
technothriller. Well, the "thriller" part was missing, but the
"techno" was there and the intent was clear.

Which, of course, leads to the fourth Lisbeth Salander film, which
starts with a scene stolen from an earlier film and then becomes a
common technothriller (also not particularly thrilling) which changes
her backstory. But that's a reboot pretending to be a sequel, not a
film echoing a TV series.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson

<8b7fd23c-ed80-4d15-801c-c11ba2b73011n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85100&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85100

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:01:35 -0800 (PST)
ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 07:01 UTC

On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 9:08:09 AM UTC+11, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson
> https://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/cms/index.php/22-writing/516-462
>
> “Here's the scenario. You're running an event, and on TWITter or
> Fecesbook, someone calls out a guest and states, "I wouldn't feel safe
> with this person at the con!""
>
> “You must immediately ban this person from the convention.”
>
> "No, not the guest. The person making the public scene.”"

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any convention guests that have ever done anything wrong...

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.299CCA460864C0BD700000BE238F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85101&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85101

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 03:07:34 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Subject: Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 08:07 UTC

On Feb 10, 2023, Kevrob wrote
(in article<245fc356-d974-409f-b8b2-1cf6f447a9een@googlegroups.com>):

> On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 11:47:04 PM UTC-5, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> > jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
> >
> > > In article<a25c1581-fc4c-4c94...@googlegroups.com>,
> > > Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > big snip: for some reason, quoted material is getting more and
> > > more unreadable here.

> > > A recurring detail in the old Avenger pulp is that Josh and Rosabel
> > > Newton, being African American, are frequently dismissed as mere
> > > servants, basically furniture, by the bad guys. This rarely works
> > > out well for the crooks. Their boss, Richard Benson, of course
> > > immediately spotted them as university graduates when he met them.
> > I'd forgotten that! If I'm dredging up those old memories correctly,
> > they also did a great job of doing Steppin Fetchit impersonations when
> > needed for the situation.
>
> In the adaptation by DC Comics, the Newtons wore Phi Beta Kappa keys.
>
> https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Justice-Inc-1975/Issue-2?id=171290&quality=hq

Warning: site has drive-by malware downloads (including a Flash and a fake
Chrome installer) (who still has Flash?) and porno popups (‘adult friend
finder’ and lots more.)

> Jack Kirby art from issue 2 on.
>
> https://www.comics.org/series/2220/

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<k53siuFfrqqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85102&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85102

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 15 Feb 2023 11:05:02 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 11:05 UTC

On 15 Feb 2023 at 07:01:35 GMT, "Hamish Laws" <hamish.laws@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 9:08:09 AM UTC+11, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson
>> https://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/cms/index.php/22-writing/516-462
>>
>> “Here's the scenario. You're running an event, and on TWITter or
>> Fecesbook, someone calls out a guest and states, "I wouldn't feel safe
>> with this person at the con!""
>>
>> “You must immediately ban this person from the convention.”
>>
>> "No, not the guest. The person making the public scene.”"
>>
> Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any convention guests that have ever done anything wrong...

Indeed. It's the "nazi pub" story. You've got to kick the nazi's out
immediately even if they seem to be inoffensive when they first sit
down, otherwise your pub becomes a nazi pub. The pub is the con, in this
case. The nazi is the guest who makes people unsafe.

Blaming the messenger is such a shitty thing to do, and hallmark of a
con that has incompetent management.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
A mind stretched by an idea can never go back to its original dimensions.
- Conan Doyle

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.299D24100879CBBC700000BE238F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85108&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85108

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:30:40 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:30 UTC

On Feb 15, 2023, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
(in article <k53siuFfrqqU1@mid.individual.net>):

> On 15 Feb 2023 at 07:01:35 GMT, "Hamish Laws"<hamish.laws@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 9:08:09 AM UTC+11, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > > “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z.
> > > Williamson
> > > https://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/cms/index.php/22-writing/516-462
> > >
> > > “Here's the scenario. You're running an event, and on TWITter or
> > > Fecesbook, someone calls out a guest and states, "I wouldn't feel safe
> > > with this person at the con!""
> > >
> > > “You must immediately ban this person from the convention.”
> > >
> > > "No, not the guest. The person making the public scene.”"
> > Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any convention guests that have ever
> > done anything wrong...
>
> Indeed. It's the "nazi pub" story. You've got to kick the nazi's out
> immediately even if they seem to be inoffensive when they first sit
> down, otherwise your pub becomes a nazi pub. The pub is the con, in this
> case. The nazi is the guest who makes people unsafe.

How, exactly, is the guest making the idiot unsafe? The quote was that the
idiot _felt_ unsafe, not that the idiot _was_ unsafe. The solution to the
idiot’s problem was one of the following:

1. Don’t go to the con. If enough idiots don’t go to the con because of
the guest, con management will get the message.

2. Go to the con, but stay away from the guest. Unless the guest actively
stalks the idiot, they’ll be fine... and if the guest does that, THEN toss
him. And call the cops.

> Blaming the messenger is such a shitty thing to do, and hallmark of a
> con that has incompetent management.

Nah. Listening to idiots having the vapors is the hallmark of a con that has
incompetent management. Tossing the guest BEFORE s/he does anything is an act
of extremely shitty management.

And having one, or even a dozen, nazis in the pub doesn’t make it a nazi
pub. Having one, or a dozen nazis in the pub singing the Horst Wessel or
otherwise being obnoxious is grounds for heaving the lot out... or becoming a
nazi pub. They’ll lose the business of almost all non-nazis, so out go the
fascist scum. Unless they just sit quietly over in one corner, having a
drink.

> Cheers - Jaimie

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convention” by Michael Z. Williamson

<5152abd8-5389-4793-8ce8-c82d74366e5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85137&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85137

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:49:20 -0800 (PST)
ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 23:49 UTC

On Monday, 13 February 2023 at 18:08:35 UTC, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> <https://saint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Saint_in_Films>
> in fact starts in 1938. Not recorded there is a "TV movie"
> of 2017, which user reviews on IMDB describe as a pilot
> for a TV series revival.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(radio_program)>
> meanwhile overlooks the fan site's claim that "Radio Athlone",
> the one in Ireland presumably, had a "Saint" show in 1940.

I mean, there's not much to say that this involves
Simon Templar and not simply a great misunderstanding.
Or, perhaps that's how it got onto Irish radio, someone
thought it was going to be lives of the saints?
If indeed it wasn't.

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<5565da9f-6c84-4dbd-8408-f2877a698b85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85197&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85197

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:46:26 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:46 UTC

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 1:30:48 AM UTC+11, WolfFan wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2023, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
> (in article <k53siu...@mid.individual.net>):
> > On 15 Feb 2023 at 07:01:35 GMT, "Hamish Laws"<hamis...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any convention guests that have ever
> > > done anything wrong...
> >
> > Indeed. It's the "nazi pub" story. You've got to kick the nazi's out
> > immediately even if they seem to be inoffensive when they first sit
> > down, otherwise your pub becomes a nazi pub. The pub is the con, in this
> > case. The nazi is the guest who makes people unsafe.
> How, exactly, is the guest making the idiot unsafe? The quote was that the
> idiot _felt_ unsafe, not that the idiot _was_ unsafe.

Dunno, maybe sexual harassment like Asimov and Ellison
maybe it's Vox Doy, a white supremacist, misogynist who called N. K. Jemisin, "an ignorant. half savage", and who says women shouldn't have the vote?
Maybe it was David Eddings who spend time in jail for abusing his adopted children
Maybe it's somebody who's called for violence against a minority

'An informal 2014 survey found that 13 percent of fans and professionals had been on the receiving end of “unwanted comments of a sexual nature” at conventions. And a horrifying eight percent said they had been “groped, assaulted, or raped at a comic convention.”'

The point is that there are options other than immediately
1) ban the guest based on a complaint
2) ban the complainant

the idea that the correct reaction to every complaint is to ban the complainant is as ludicrous as the idea that the correct response is to ban the guest in all cases.
Complaints need to be investigated

>The solution to the idiot’s problem was one of the following:
>
> 1. Don’t go to the con. If enough idiots don’t go to the con because of
> the guest, con management will get the message.

a) Don't you normally rant about that being cancel culture?
b) so people who were harassed by Asimov or groped by Ellison should have just stayed away until they died?

> 2. Go to the con, but stay away from the guest. Unless the guest actively
> stalks the idiot, they’ll be fine... and if the guest does that, THEN toss
> him. And call the cops.

Again, Asimov did it for decades.

> > Blaming the messenger is such a shitty thing to do, and hallmark of a
> > con that has incompetent management.
> Nah. Listening to idiots having the vapors is the hallmark of a con that has
> incompetent management.

Until you actually investigate you don't know whether it's an idiot with the vapors or a real issue

> Tossing the guest BEFORE s/he does anything is an act
> of extremely shitty management.

Yeah, it's not like it's possible that the guest has done things before that the complainant is aware of but the con management isn't

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.299FBE4600022D7670000F48938F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85198&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85198

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:53:10 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:53 UTC

On Feb 17, 2023, Hamish Laws wrote
(in article<5565da9f-6c84-4dbd-8408-f2877a698b85n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 1:30:48 AM UTC+11, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Feb 15, 2023, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
> > (in article <k53siu...@mid.individual.net>):

> > > Indeed. It's the "nazi pub" story. You've got to kick the nazi's out
> > > immediately even if they seem to be inoffensive when they first sit
> > > down, otherwise your pub becomes a nazi pub. The pub is the con, in this
> > > case. The nazi is the guest who makes people unsafe.
> > How, exactly, is the guest making the idiot unsafe? The quote was that the
> > idiot _felt_ unsafe, not that the idiot _was_ unsafe.
>
> Dunno, maybe sexual harassment like Asimov and Ellison

Heave their asses out the instant they go touchy-feely.

> maybe it's Vox Doy, a white supremacist, misogynist who called N. K. Jemisin,
> "an ignorant. half savage", and who says women shouldn't have the vote?

If he says this at the con, heave his ass out.

> Maybe it was David Eddings who spend time in jail for abusing his adopted
> children

Was it at a con? If at a con, heave his ass out. If not... not the con’s
business.

> Maybe it's somebody who's called for violence against a minority

If at a con, heave him out. If not, don’t.

> 'An informal 2014 survey found that 13 percent of fans and professionals had
> been on the receiving end of “unwanted comments of a sexual nature” at
> conventions. And a horrifying eight percent said they had been “groped,
> assaulted, or raped at a comic convention.”'

There’s a wide spectrum from ‘groped’ to ‘assaulted’ to
‘raped’, and for groped, heave his ass out, for the other two, have
security (if the con has it, or hotel security if not) sit on him until the
cops arrive and send his ass out in handcuffs.

> The point is that there are options other than immediately
> 1) ban the guest based on a complaint
> 2) ban the complainant

I wouldn’t have done either. The idiot was proposing to bank the guest
before the guest had done anything to the idiot. If the idiot feels that
strongly, stay away.

> the idea that the correct reaction to every complaint is to ban the
> complainant is as ludicrous as the idea that the correct response is to ban
> the guest in all cases.
> Complaints need to be investigated
>
> > The solution to the idiot’s problem was one of the following:
> >
> > 1. Don’t go to the con. If enough idiots don’t go to the con because of
> > the guest, con management will get the message.
>
> a) Don't you normally rant about that being cancel culture?

[citation needed]

> b) so people who were harassed by Asimov or groped by Ellison should have
> just stayed away until they died?

Nope. Asimov and Ellison should have been heaved out until they promised to
behave. And, if they broke their promise and did it again one being let back
in, banned for life. I don’t give a shit who they are.

But... that’s for an actual offense, not one that exists only in the
imagination of an idiot.

> > 2. Go to the con, but stay away from the guest. Unless the guest actively
> > stalks the idiot, they’ll be fine... and if the guest does that, THEN toss
> > him. And call the cops.
>
> Again, Asimov did it for decades.

He should have been tossed.

> > > Blaming the messenger is such a shitty thing to do, and hallmark of a
> > > con that has incompetent management.
> > Nah. Listening to idiots having the vapors is the hallmark of a con that has
> > incompetent management.
>
> Until you actually investigate you don't know whether it's an idiot with the
> vapors or a real issue

I bloody know it’s vapors as THE DAMN CON HASN’T HAPPENED YET AND THERE
LITERALLY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN AN OFFENSE YET.

> > Tossing the guest BEFORE s/he does anything is an act
> > of extremely shitty management.
>
> Yeah, it's not like it's possible that the guest has done things before that
> the complainant is aware of but the con management isn't

Cool. So inform the management of prior bad acts. Management can then look
and see. If there’s anything to it, warn the guest to be on best behavior
and keep an eye out. If the guest has been banned elsewhere for repeated bad
acts, _then_ consider heaving him. If there isn’t anything, or if bad acts
weren’t repeated, tell the idiot that no action will be taken.

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<cb0ovh51rbbidnv293b2au7hr6bmv72ku8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85592&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85592

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:11:05 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:11 UTC

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:30:40 -0500, WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
wrote:

>And having one, or even a dozen, nazis in the pub doesn’t make it a nazi
>pub. Having one, or a dozen nazis in the pub singing the Horst Wessel or
>otherwise being obnoxious is grounds for heaving the lot out... or becoming a
>nazi pub. They’ll lose the business of almost all non-nazis, so out go the
>fascist scum. Unless they just sit quietly over in one corner, having a
>drink.

Given this is presumably an English speaking pub Tomorrow Belongs to
Me (which has been covered by several neo-Nazi bands - I found out the
hard way in Youtube one night....sigh) as it's both in English and in
Cabaret, Spitting Image and The Man in the High Castle. (The Spitting
Image version was done the week before a UK election - 1987? - in the
Thatcher era and is quite funny)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mjrT3N4hNo

PARTICULARLY if they end the song as they did in Cabaret + TMitHC
(e.g. with the entire audience doing the Hitler raised arm salute)

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<ad82a164-13d4-49b1-a017-20df3f63b78fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85611&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85611

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:00:18 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:00 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 5:46:29 AM UTC-7, Hamish Laws wrote:

> The point is that there are options other than immediately
> 1) ban the guest based on a complaint
> 2) ban the complainant
>
> the idea that the correct reaction to every complaint is to ban the complainant is as ludicrous as the idea that the correct response is to ban the guest in all cases.
> Complaints need to be investigated

Congratulations for countering ideology with
common sense.

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<f0400116-228a-49ab-84ef-bb546073cc4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85612&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85612

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:05:31 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:05 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 6:53:23 AM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2023, Hamish Laws wrote
> (in article<5565da9f-6c84-4dbd...@googlegroups.com>):

> > maybe it's Vox Doy, a white supremacist, misogynist who called N. K. Jemisin,
> > "an ignorant. half savage", and who says women shouldn't have the vote?
>
> If he says this at the con, heave his ass out.
>
> > Maybe it was David Eddings who spend time in jail for abusing his adopted
> > children
>
> Was it at a con? If at a con, heave his ass out. If not... not the con’s
> business.
>
> > Maybe it's somebody who's called for violence against a minority
>
> If at a con, heave him out. If not, don’t.

If the management of a convention is at all worried about their
reputation, I don't think that is a reasonable standard to apply.

Is it really "cancel culture" to want to avoid the appearence of
condoning wrongdoing anywhere?

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<03d49e4b-9c00-4f3f-9341-379012c7039cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85617&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85617

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 08:07:00 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:07 UTC

On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 8:11:12 PM UTC-5, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:30:40 -0500, WolfFan <akwo...@zoho.com>
> wrote:
> >And having one, or even a dozen, nazis in the pub doesn’t make it a nazi
> >pub. Having one, or a dozen nazis in the pub singing the Horst Wessel or
> >otherwise being obnoxious is grounds for heaving the lot out... or becoming a
> >nazi pub. They’ll lose the business of almost all non-nazis, so out go the
> >fascist scum. Unless they just sit quietly over in one corner, having a
> >drink.
> Given this is presumably an English speaking pub Tomorrow Belongs to
> Me (which has been covered by several neo-Nazi bands - I found out the
> hard way in Youtube one night....sigh) as it's both in English and in
> Cabaret, Spitting Image and The Man in the High Castle. (The Spitting
> Image version was done the week before a UK election - 1987? - in the
> Thatcher era and is quite funny)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mjrT3N4hNo
>
> PARTICULARLY if they end the song as they did in Cabaret + TMitHC
> (e.g. with the entire audience doing the Hitler raised arm salute)

TBTM was written in 1966 by two Jewish musicians, John Kander and
Fred Ebb, for the original Broadway musical version of 'Cabaret'. It is not
from the Nazi era. In the stage version, its sung by two waiters. The
movie version is far more chilling.

If you listen to the song without context, its inspiring and uplifting, with
just a hint of menace. From Wikipedia:

"Others seemed to embrace its lyrics at face value, without political
context; a Jewish youth group requested permission to use it in their
summer camp show. In 1973, concerned parents at a largely Jewish
school in New York State raised a petition against the song being
included in a school performance; school administrators determined
that it would go ahead as planned."

I know that for the camp use, it was flat out refused by the writers.

As others note, its been covered by a number of neo Nazi groups. The
only one I've heard was by the Swedish singer 'Saga', and is very good,
if you're not aware of her other work, or the history of the song. If you
do, its creepy AF.

pt

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<6bb28c0a-cf0d-4470-8e83-8c5d61171aeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85677&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85677

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:21:22 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:21 UTC

On the other hand, Charlie Byrd quite innocently did an instrumental version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO7pRmg8cTk

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<d681e103-1d8f-4ba0-b219-a4c1fea009c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85678&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85678

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:27:49 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:27 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 10:21:25 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

> On the other hand, Charlie Byrd quite innocently did an instrumental version:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO7pRmg8cTk

And speaking of being completely innocent of the context of this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWqsF2HnOI

here is it apparently being used in the 2020 election campaign of Tsai
Ing-Wen. (Leader of the Democratic People's Party (DPP) in Taiwan
(Republic of China) and current President of that country.)

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<36546a3a-4ce3-49d6-a0a7-35ac8c8c38b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85681&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85681

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:24:19 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 06:24 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 10:27:52 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

> And speaking of being completely innocent of the context of this song...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWqsF2HnOI
>
> here is it apparently being used in the 2020 election campaign of Tsai
> Ing-Wen. (Leader of the Democratic People's Party (DPP) in Taiwan
> (Republic of China) and current President of that country.)

The use is apparent, and not real; the music came from a recorded
performance by a musical group with no connection to Taiwan.

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<b80d0a30-d0c1-432e-804c-e869612d01b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85683&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85683

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:29:19 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 06:29 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 10:21:25 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> On the other hand, Charlie Byrd quite innocently did an instrumental version:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO7pRmg8cTk

And here's one of many satirical versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeaWZmr_VmE

John Savard

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.29AF15E1000421F470000532F38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85743&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85743

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 00:10:57 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 05:10 UTC

On Feb 27, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
(in article<f0400116-228a-49ab-84ef-bb546073cc4fn@googlegroups.com>):

> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 6:53:23 AM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Feb 17, 2023, Hamish Laws wrote
> > (in article<5565da9f-6c84-4dbd...@googlegroups.com>):
>
> > > maybe it's Vox Doy, a white supremacist, misogynist who called N. K.
> > > Jemisin,
> > > "an ignorant. half savage", and who says women shouldn't have the vote?
> >
> > If he says this at the con, heave his ass out.
> >
> > > Maybe it was David Eddings who spend time in jail for abusing his adopted
> > > children
> >
> > Was it at a con? If at a con, heave his ass out. If not... not the con’s
> > business.
> >
> > > Maybe it's somebody who's called for violence against a minority
> >
> > If at a con, heave him out. If not, don’t.
> If the management of a convention is at all worried about their
> reputation,

The reputation that they shouldn’t want to have is being the sort of twits
who overreact to one idiot’s complaint despite not having an actual event
to complain about.
> I don't think that is a reasonable standard to apply.

You don’t think.

> Is it really "cancel culture" to want to avoid the appearence of
> condoning wrongdoing anywhere?

It’s none of their damn business.

> John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<bdaac29f-eb58-4e93-88f2-cd74f5b38bd2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85748&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85748

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 04:13:09 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 12:13 UTC

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 10:11:11 PM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2023, Quadibloc wrote

> > Is it really "cancel culture" to want to avoid the appearence of
> > condoning wrongdoing anywhere?
>
> It’s none of their damn business.

Harm to humans, wherever and whenever it occurs, is always
everyone's business.

John Savard

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.29B042B9004AA3EC700002B3838F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85792&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85792

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 21:34:33 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <trk0k4$1k02l$2@dont-email.me> <8b7fd23c-ed80-4d15-801c-c11ba2b73011n@googlegroups.com> <k53siuFfrqqU1@mid.individual.net> <0001HW.299D24100879CBBC700000BE238F@news.supernews.com> <5565da9f-6c84-4dbd-8408-f2877a698b85n@googlegroups.com> <0001HW.299FBE4600022D7670000F48938F@news.supernews.com> <f0400116-228a-49ab-84ef-bb546073cc4fn@googlegroups.com> <0001HW.29AF15E1000421F470000532F38F@news.supernews.com> <bdaac29f-eb58-4e93-88f2-cd74f5b38bd2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: WolfFan - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 02:34 UTC

On Mar 1, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
(in article<bdaac29f-eb58-4e93-88f2-cd74f5b38bd2n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 10:11:11 PM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Feb 27, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
>
> > > Is it really "cancel culture" to want to avoid the appearence of
> > > condoning wrongdoing anywhere?
> >
> > It’s none of their damn business.
> Harm to humans, wherever and whenever it occurs, is always
> everyone's business.

Really? Without limit to time and space? Interesting. And idiotic.

> John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<fe1b32cc-dfad-41c9-9b63-15f36b0381e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85799&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85799

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:57:22 -0800 (PST)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 05:57 UTC

On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 7:34:46 PM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2023, Quadibloc wrote

> > Harm to humans, wherever and whenever it occurs, is always
> > everyone's business.

> Really? Without limit to time and space? Interesting. And idiotic.

You have indeed pointed out an ambiguity in my phrasing
which gave it a sense which was more expansive than I
intended.

I meant that it is, always will be, and always was, the case that
harm to humans anywhere is the business of everyone who is
contemporary with that harm.
So I was not saying we needed to concern ourselves with harm
to humans in ancient history or the distant future, nor was I
presupposing the existence of time travel.

Also, given the absence of FTL travel and First Contact as of yet,
by "wherever" I was still limiting myself to the planet Earth, and
so I did not need to note how the Prime Directive would limit our
response to harm to non-human rational beings who we don't
understand well enough yet to permit safe intervention.

John Savard

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<ttpf5s$7vdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=85802&group=rec.arts.sf.written#85802

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re:_“When_You_Should_Ban_Someone_From_Your_Conv
ent_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:19:43 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 06:19 UTC

On 3/1/2023 6:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
> (in article<bdaac29f-eb58-4e93-88f2-cd74f5b38bd2n@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 10:11:11 PM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
>>> On Feb 27, 2023, Quadibloc wrote

>>> It’s none of their damn business.
>> Harm to humans, wherever and whenever it occurs, is always
>> everyone's business.
>
> Really? Without limit to time and space? Interesting. And idiotic.

Its _QUADDIE_, what do you expect?

dirty old man.

Re: ???When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion??? by Michael Z. Williamson

<0001HW.29B79C19020391FC700006FD738F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86003&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86003

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 11:21:45 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <trk0k4$1k02l$2@dont-email.me> <8b7fd23c-ed80-4d15-801c-c11ba2b73011n@googlegroups.com> <k53siuFfrqqU1@mid.individual.net> <0001HW.299D24100879CBBC700000BE238F@news.supernews.com> <5565da9f-6c84-4dbd-8408-f2877a698b85n@googlegroups.com> <0001HW.299FBE4600022D7670000F48938F@news.supernews.com> <f0400116-228a-49ab-84ef-bb546073cc4fn@googlegroups.com> <0001HW.29AF15E1000421F470000532F38F@news.supernews.com> <bdaac29f-eb58-4e93-88f2-cd74f5b38bd2n@googlegroups.com> <0001HW.29B042B9004AA3EC700002B3838F@news.supernews.com> <fe1b32cc-dfad-41c9-9b63-15f36b0381e2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: WolfFan - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:21 UTC

On Mar 2, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
(in article<fe1b32cc-dfad-41c9-9b63-15f36b0381e2n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 7:34:46 PM UTC-7, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Mar 1, 2023, Quadibloc wrote
>
> > > Harm to humans, wherever and whenever it occurs, is always
> > > everyone's business.
>
> > Really? Without limit to time and space? Interesting. And idiotic.
>
> You have indeed pointed out an ambiguity in my phrasing
> which gave it a sense which was more expansive than I
> intended.

I doubt that.

> I meant that it is, always will be, and always was, the case that
> harm to humans anywhere is the business of everyone who is
> contemporary with that harm.

That’s just as stupid.

> So I was not saying we needed to concern ourselves with harm
> to humans in ancient history or the distant future, nor was I
> presupposing the existence of time travel.
>
> Also, given the absence of FTL travel and First Contact as of yet,
> by "wherever" I was still limiting myself to the planet Earth, and
> so I did not need to note how the Prime Directive would limit our
> response to harm to non-human rational beings who we don't
> understand well enough yet to permit safe intervention.
>
> John Savard

I think that Canada has to be condemned for allowing John Savard to roam
loose, given his attitude towards vatgirls. Canada can redeem itself by
sending Savardists to Baffin Island, so long as precautions are taken to
prevent poor innocent polar bears ingesting parts of said Savardists. We
don’t want to poison the poor things, after all.

Re: “When You Should Ban Someone From Your Convent ion” by Michael Z. Williamson

<0bb8d07e-19c4-4648-8d41-85c874ad32edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86555&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86555

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 09:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
_ion”_by_Michael_Z._Williamson
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 16:05 UTC

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 3:07:42 AM UTC-5, WolfFan wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2023, Kevrob wrote
> (in article<245fc356-d974-409f...@googlegroups.com>):

> > > I'd forgotten that! If I'm dredging up those old memories correctly,
> > > they also did a great job of doing Steppin Fetchit impersonations when
> > > needed for the situation.
> >
> > In the adaptation by DC Comics, the Newtons wore Phi Beta Kappa keys.
> >
> > https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Justice-Inc-1975/Issue-2?id=171290&quality=hq
> Warning: site has drive-by malware downloads (including a Flash and a fake
> Chrome installer) (who still has Flash?) and porno popups (‘adult friend
> finder’ and lots more.)

Oops. Sorry. I visit that site using NoScript and AdBlock, so never see that stuff.

> > Jack Kirby art from issue 2 on.
> >
> > https://www.comics.org/series/2220/

--
Kevin R