From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tears) A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:45:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:45 UTC

A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman

An assortment of speculative fiction stories by a star of
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Colliers, and Good Housekeeping.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-drop-of-water-in-an-endless-sea

Re: (tears) A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman

<717d78af-a300-43ad-9f0e-66da45c61ffen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86323&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86323

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (tears) A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:22 UTC

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 7:45:52 AM UTC-7, James Nicoll wrote:
> A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman
>
> An assortment of speculative fiction stories by a star of
> Fantasy & Science Fiction, Colliers, and Good Housekeeping.
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-drop-of-water-in-an-endless-sea
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll

I own this book, though I don't think I've read it since I took it on road trip around 2000. I've found it an interesting comparison piece with The Best of Margaret St. Clair. The latter author was really a straight up dark fantasy/ horror writer. Clingerman comes across as someone who didn't go far enough to pick a lane. From my recollections, the most entertaining story is Stickeney And The English Critic, which seems to be a parody of Lovecraft before his footprint got supersized. The rest are mostly entertaining if they're on the sf/ fantasy side, like Mr.Sakrison's Halt, or cringy if they're in the horror direction, like Wild Wood. It's worth a look if you can get it.

Re: (tears) A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman

<tuna4e$drq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86332&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86332

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:57:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:57 UTC

In article <717d78af-a300-43ad-9f0e-66da45c61ffen@googlegroups.com>,
David Brown <davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 7:45:52 AM UTC-7, James Nicoll wrote:
>> A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman
>>
>> An assortment of speculative fiction stories by a star of
>> Fantasy & Science Fiction, Colliers, and Good Housekeeping.
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-drop-of-water-in-an-endless-sea
>
>I own this book, though I don't think I've read it since I took
>it on road trip around 2000. I've found it an interesting
>comparison piece with The Best of Margaret St. Clair. The latter
>author was really a straight up dark fantasy/ horror writer.
>Clingerman comes across as someone who didn't go far enough to
>pick a lane. From my recollections, the most entertaining story
>is Stickeney And The English Critic, which seems to be a parody
>of Lovecraft before his footprint got supersized. The rest are
>mostly entertaining if they're on the sf/ fantasy side, like
>Mr.Sakrison's Halt, or cringy if they're in the horror direction,
>like Wild Wood. It's worth a look if you can get it.

It's wildly out of print but at least print runs were huge back
then so copies have survived. However, all the contents of this
collection and more can be found in the far more recent The
Clingerman Files.