From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Types of Trilogies
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:09:59 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 05:09 UTC

These (including some 4 book series) come in several types. There are
ones that are really one BIG book that was divided into 3 (sometimes 4)
segments for publication (e.g., _Lord of the Rings_). Some, while there
is an overall plot arc, have relatively complete subarcs for each book
as the protagonists drill deeper and deeper into the problem (e.g., _The
Lensman series, _Galactic Patrol_ to _Children of the Lens_). A third
type has the introductory title followed by a book that published in two
parts (with the 2nd title ending in one or more cliff hangers). Is there
a 4th type in which the first 2 books are really one book published in
two parts, while the 3rd finishes the story?

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Types of Trilogies

<005f7570-1a9d-46a4-baae-a862f3d98bbfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86329&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86329

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 04:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Types of Trilogies
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:51 UTC

On Monday, 13 March 2023 at 05:10:13 UTC, Robert Woodward wrote:
> These (including some 4 book series) come in several types. There are
> ones that are really one BIG book that was divided into 3 (sometimes 4)
> segments for publication (e.g., _Lord of the Rings_). Some, while there
> is an overall plot arc, have relatively complete subarcs for each book
> as the protagonists drill deeper and deeper into the problem (e.g., _The
> Lensman series, _Galactic Patrol_ to _Children of the Lens_). A third
> type has the introductory title followed by a book that published in two
> parts (with the 2nd title ending in one or more cliff hangers). Is there
> a 4th type in which the first 2 books are really one book published in
> two parts, while the 3rd finishes the story?

I'm in doubt that the categories are useful. Certainly
it's fuzzy whether a book series belongs in one set
or another. And the books are usually published
one at a time, although stories for children may
be released as a series at the same time.
There also were Victorian "three volume novels",
but not any more.

With that said, I suppose that Philip Pullman's
"His Dark Materials" has a broadly independent
volume 1 and then a more closely related 2 and 3.

If I'm remembering right Sheri S. Tepper's "Marianne"
books - see <https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?173> -
volume one leaves things not resolved in a satisfactory way,
although that doesn't guarantee that a sequel will come.
I'd say that the second book resolves things, and the third
is a separate story about other later events that Marianne
was involved in. And less satisfactory.

_The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_ has a rather
unresolved volume one, or at least an anticlimax.
Its form is partly because Douglas Adams and John Lloyd
wrote the radio series first, and then Adams produced a book
with Lloyd's parts taken out, to Lloyd's surprise as I gather.
The second book takes us to the end of the first radio series,
but not by the same route. The third to fifth books are new
territory and avowedly abuse the world "trilogy", which merely
means three books.

And there's Lewis Carroll's "Sylvie and Bruno", but that's
a trilogy of two books, and while the author says that he
always intended to continue the story from the first,
it can't have been guaranteed. But again, not much is
settled at the end of book one, or not as the reader is
meant to wish.

Re: Types of Trilogies

<slrnu0ua0c.vuu.dsr-usenet@randomstring.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86331&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86331

From: dsr-use...@randomstring.org (-dsr-)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:41:32 -0400
 by: -dsr- - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:41 UTC

On 2023-03-13, Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
> These (including some 4 book series) come in several types. There are
> ones that are really one BIG book that was divided into 3 (sometimes 4)
> segments for publication (e.g., _Lord of the Rings_). Some, while there
> is an overall plot arc, have relatively complete subarcs for each book
> as the protagonists drill deeper and deeper into the problem (e.g., _The
> Lensman series, _Galactic Patrol_ to _Children of the Lens_). A third
> type has the introductory title followed by a book that published in two
> parts (with the 2nd title ending in one or more cliff hangers). Is there
> a 4th type in which the first 2 books are really one book published in
> two parts, while the 3rd finishes the story?

Your type three is common for new authors: the first book needs to stand alone
in the case that it does not sell well enough to justify the followups, but
well enough not to poison the market for that author.

There are six-book series where the original trilogy has been divided: Charlie
Stross and Peter Hamilton both suffered this fate at various times.

You have also left out the episodic series, where each book stands more or less
on its own, and the episodic-arc series, where the books can stand alone but
contribute towards a long-running plot.

Economics and technology impact art: I think that we are in the middle of some
new trends in literature from the online-only (ebook/audiobook) markets, where
length is completely disconnected from marginal cost. Million-word series are
now merely remarkable, not amazing.

-dsr-

Re: Types of Trilogies

<u7iu0id243ajeas5ctrlem46pl7olg0rhu@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86342&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86342

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:04:51 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:04 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:09:59 -0700, Robert Woodward
<robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>These (including some 4 book series) come in several types. There are
>ones that are really one BIG book that was divided into 3 (sometimes 4)
>segments for publication (e.g., _Lord of the Rings_). Some, while there
>is an overall plot arc, have relatively complete subarcs for each book
>as the protagonists drill deeper and deeper into the problem (e.g., _The
>Lensman series, _Galactic Patrol_ to _Children of the Lens_). A third
>type has the introductory title followed by a book that published in two
>parts (with the 2nd title ending in one or more cliff hangers). Is there
>a 4th type in which the first 2 books are really one book published in
>two parts, while the 3rd finishes the story?

Not to dispute the facts, which are fine, allow me to point out:

-- LOTR was published in three parts because, in post-WWII Britain,
paper was still hard to get and the Publishers weren't sure it would
sell. It sold.

-- Examples of type 3 exist in many movie trilogies as well. As
another has noted, it is often a case of running the first book/film
from a new author/director up the flagpole and then, if anybody
salutes, doing the next two.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian